Elle España September 2020 : Toni, Nikita, Anne & Minerva

Again and again: spanish and MANY fashion magazines select a model like Toni (a.k.a a boring girl who brings nothing to the table in her every shoot) who is the standard caucasian beige model and as a second thought, they give models of color another cover (to please everybody and to be PC) which is the subscriber one... The same thing over and over again. Both covers are boring and uninspiring. NEXT!

I'm also getting fed up with covers where the model is not looking at the camera!!! HOW do you sell a magazine when the model doesn't call you by looking at you looking either fierce or glamorous. As a reader I will always need that eye connection with the cover model.

Again and again: spanish and MANY fashion magazines select a model like Toni (a.k.a a boring girl who brings nothing to the table in her every shoot) ....

Explain their fascination with Toni for me please, lol! Because you're right, they do feature models like her almost in every single issue of Elle Es. They're like the standard. I know you get blonde Spanish women, but imo the majority are dark haired. The psychology behind it is interesting.

I like the group cover more because of the colours and composition, but it could have been a bit glossier and glamorous. Don't care for the tired gaucho styling on Toni's cover. And the third one should never have happened.

I think Toni’s is favorite in Spain also she was on Alvaro Soler video..maybe that’s why she got fame over there...

Elle is one of the most, if not the most, fashion/femenine magazine there so they dont feel the urge to change their formula...

Again and Again:
They choose Tony cause she SELLS.
There are no deeper meaning to it.
The Black girls are harder to sell to the spanish readers, and that’s the only reason Tony also got a cover.
By now she clearly prooved to the Elle Team that she can sell the magazine, and no amount of boring/beige words can change that fact.

Again and Again:
The Black girls are harder to sell to the spanish readers, and that’s the only reason Tony also got a cover.
By now she clearly prooved to the Elle Team that she can sell the magazine, and no amount of boring/beige words can change that fact.

Exactly! It happened with Bar Refaeli, she used to be on their covers a lot too and its basically the same type of model.

The magazine industry it’s a business after all!

Again and Again:

Oh but there is.
Of course she sells, we all know that. Why does she sell above average in a country where the majority of women don't look like her though? Beauty ideals?

Elle España September 2020

Nuevas Formas

Photographer: Javier Lopez
Stylist: Sylvia Montoliu, Barbara Garralda
Hair & Makeup: Pedro Cedeño
Cast: Toni Garrn

Elle España Digital Edition

Los Más Buscados

Photographer: Mario Sierra
Stylist: Sylvia Montoliu, Barbara Garralda
Hair & Makeup: Vicky Marcos
Cast: Anne Barreto, Minerva Portillo, Nikita Wiorek

El Sello Preysler

Photographer: Juan Aldabatrecu
Stylist: Barbara Garralda
Hair & Makeup: Lola Viraz
Cast: Isabel Preysler

Un Actor Sin Limites

Photographer: Juan Aldabatrecu
Stylist: Barbara Garralda
Grooming: Piti Pastor
Cast: Mario Casas

Toni looks gorgeous here! The other cover was unnecessary and feels more like an afterthought.
It's borderline embarrassing for all higher ranking fashion magazines that a local Elle is the best September issue I've seen so far and the only one I'd actually buy..

OMG ahaha Mario Casas or as we call her there ''La Preysler'' would have sold much more than these boring covers.

Duh ''she sells'' = of course, she would not be on the cover otherwise LOL and that's why many girls like her are on covers. HOWEVER my point was and still is : in the oceans of models who are more beautiful, more skilled, better posers and so on, the industry keeps these ''safe'' choices like Toni coz it's the same boring caucasian blonde girl and her agency works harder than the devil, it's not more than that. Spanish women are not blonde by majority indeed but it's a European ideal for most women and countries for centuries: to be tall, thin, blonde with blue eyes (the whole goddess of love thing and the unattainable beauty standard type) not so much with business.

Nowadays many magazines put models of colors and celebrities since the #BLM movement because people or many readers want to identify with their coverstars and not so much the ''standard boring girl profile'' type.

Oh but there is.
Of course she sells, we all know that. Why does she sell above average in a country where the majority of women don't look like her though? Beauty ideals?

Indeed, the majority of women don’t look like her, she’s a model after all!!!!

I don’t want to misinterpret your comment, but it sounds like it is a bad thing for you that a white-blonde model is a Best-Seller. I don’t know why it is a suprise to you, cause Spain is a predominantly white country.

And this correlation of the models hair color, and the hair color of most of the residents of Spain, is it something exclusively reserved for blondes, because as far as I can see you didn’t hold the “red women” from VS to the same standard.

As for the ideals of beauty.
You are suggesting that white models have been promoted long enough, and thats the explanation why so many readers correspond good with them!

By that logic of things if you propagate one form of beauty long enough, eventually people’s tastes will change as well.

Well, it is a decade by now since only white women were represented on the covers/runways. Throughout this decade, everyone has had a chance.
Every race and every body shape. Everyone!!!!

But as far I can see, the constant push for all kind of beauties, didn’t changed much on the fact that a lot of people like to see real beautiful models on the cover, no matter how much otherwise suggested.

You don’t have to go any further, than to look at Allure magazine, which is a pioneer of all forms od beauty, and see how the market and advertisers react to it.

I don’t want to misinterpret your comment, but it sounds like it is a bad thing for you that a white-blonde model is a Best-Seller. I don’t know why it is a suprise to you, cause Spain is a predominantly white country.

Never mentioned race, trust me I'm well aware that Spain is a predominantly white country. The beauty ideals I was referring to are the blonde hair and blue eyes.

And this correlation of the models hair color, and the hair color of most of the residents of Spain, is it something exclusively reserved for blondes, because as far as I can see you didn’t hold the “red women” from VS to the same standard.

In this instance, yes it's exclusively reserved for blondes. Vogue Spain doesn't have an agenda with red-headed women. They don't get a leg up on covers and they don't appear in the core fashion edit of each and every issue, therefore it's not a beauty standard or agenda pushed by the magazine. In fact, it's actually the other way around. Vogue and Harper's Bazaar Spain actually tend to feature far more dark-headed women than blonde. And interestingly enough all 3 magazines cater to women in the same country. As I said, just found it interesting.

As for the ideals of beauty.
You are suggesting that white models have been promoted long enough, and thats the explanation why so many readers correspond good with them!
By that logic of things if you propagate one form of beauty long enough, eventually people’s tastes will change as well.
Well, it is a decade by now since only white women were represented on the covers/runways. Throughout this decade, everyone has had a chance.
Every race and every body shape. Everyone!!!!
But as far I can see, the constant push for all kind of beauties, didn’t changed much on the fact that a lot of people like to see real beautiful models on the cover, no matter how much otherwise suggested.

Brazenly untrue. I don't know what sort of magazines you've been reading, but I can refute you with tangible proof if you're referring to magazines with threads on this forum.
And anyway, since we are discussing Elle Spain. Care to post all their covers featuring 'every race and every shape' over the last decade? I think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with even 5 covers out of the 120 published so far.
Beauty ideals or standards in fashion magazines exist not to empower readers or 'set a tone', but as a tool to sell a lifestyle to them. I find it odd that Elle Spain is almost imprisoned by their own ideals in an era where so many magazines are showing a variety of shapes, races, whatever, and still manage to sell a lifestyle.

At the end of the day this is just a debate. I'm not calling for a boycott on Toni Garrn or blonde-haired, blue-eyed women, so no need to huff and puff.

Dear Benn

I would gladly answer you properly, but for this moment I’m soooooooooo short with time,for a proper answer, and by now I didn’t find time to answer Betrando.

I would only refer to the part where you sai that Elle Team is improsoned by their own ideals. It’s not that they imprisoned by their own ideals, they are imprisoned by the ideals of their readership.

Every month is a thumb up/thumb down.

Customers and readers is where it all begins and ends. What they like is what most of the time is served.

Indeed, no huff and puff (had to check the meaning). Since it never was from my side. But it can easily be confused and misinterprered when it is black on white.

It’s not that they imprisoned by their own ideals, they are imprisoned by the ideals of their readership.

In short, they're imprisoned. If you cannot change who is on your cover, or even inside your magazine for fear of losing readers that's on you, not the readers. I sound like a broken record saying this, but when Justine Picardie took over UK Harper's Bazaar and Town & Country she had to have alienated a lot of the magazine's existing readers with her then-new hyperfeminine and fantasy fashion direction. And in the end, she got a whole lot of new ones in the process. Granted her vision got criticism for being overly white for a while, in the end she managed to include women of different size, creed or sexuality without losing the identity of her magazine. That showed how adaptable her aesthetic was and that at the core, it was never exclusively reserved white women. What's more, her readership remained strong.

The entire construct of a magazine is command, to have a point of view and say, this is what we think you should wear and how you should look. Give them what they need not what they want. Some may not like it (I certainly can't stand VP's aesthetic), but others will and that's the whole idea. It also doesn't mean magazines, successful or not, are immune to criticism of any sort.

And in any case, this editor will grow old and a new one will eventually come along with new ideas and a new vision, and all these precious readers that this editor has been so worried about will either adapt or be left behind.

Indeed, no huff and puff (had to check the meaning). Since it never was from my side. But it can easily be confused and misinterprered when it is black on white.

Your overuse of exclamation marks alone could be construed as 'annoyed'.

There is no need to bring Toni down and call her bland in order to criticize the magazine's casting choices and make a point about lack of diversity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->