Ellis Faas - Makeup Artist

DFrischmann

Reaction score
ABOUT ELLIS FAAS
Vogue Paris cited Ellis Faas as "one of the most influential make-up artists of her time". And indeed, she has worked with the world's most pre-eminent fashion designers, photographers, stylists, hairdressers and models. Ellis’ work has been published on the covers of the world’s best-known fashion magazines. Additionally, Ellis has worked for make-up brands, such as Clinique, Lancôme and MAC Cosmetics – and she was asked by L'Oréal to create a make-up line for their skin care brand, Biotherm. After the contract with L’Oréal ended in 2007, the way was paved for her to create her own brand: ELLIS FAAS.

A PASSION IS BORN
Ellis was born and raised in the Netherlands. From an early age on, Ellis had a good eye for fashion, coupled with a strong opinion about what was or wasn't beautiful. She plastered her bedroom walls with images from Vogue and would often make her own clothes (sometimes with great success; other times failing miserably). She also developed a passion for photography, especially in the documentary, portrait and over-stylised fashion and beauty genres.

FROM PHOTOGRAPHY TO MAKE-UP
Inspired greatly by the work of photographers such as Yousuf Karsh and Serge Lutens, Ellis decided to pursue a career in professional photography when she left school. While on her course, Ellis kept using herself as a model. Each time, she would completely transform herself with make-up. Increasingly, Ellis started to dislike the technical side of photography, while her love for the more intuitive aspect of make-up kept growing... Of course, make-up was nothing new for Ellis. Ever since she was a toddler, she loved smearing colours on anyone who was willing to be a victim – her younger brother, her friends from school and, of course, herself. In the end, Ellis made what was to become a pivotal decision: she said goodbye to professional photography in order to focus fully on her passion for make-up.

ON THE ROAD TO SUCCESS
Following a short course in Amsterdam, she headed to Paris where she trained in make-up and special effects at Christian Chauveau’s Technical School of Artistic Make-up. Then, when her studies ended, Ellis returned to the Netherlands where she worked as a make-up artist for various fashion magazines, as well as on two movies. Searching for more creative challenges, however, she decided to move to London where she soon became very successful. There she used her talents for special effects by imitating skin diseases for medical inserts, while her sense of aestheticism drew her to work on pop videos for the stars of the time.

Following the birth of her daughter Flavia, Ellis decided to move back to Amsterdam where she started her own portrait studio, Face Value. Here, she not only took clients' photographs but also did their make-up. It was the country's first ever "makeover studio" – and became extremely successful. Simultaneously, Ellis remained active in the fashion world, working extensively with the famous Dutch fashion photographer Inez van Lamsweerde.

ENTER MARIO TESTINO
In 1999, Ellis' relatively "quiet" life in the Netherlands came to an end. Photographer Mario Testino had come to Amsterdam to shoot a series for L’Uomo Vogue. He searched for a local make-up artist who would be able to match his concept, looked at the books of every artist in the country – and picked Ellis. Both of them discovered they enjoyed this new collaboration, and soon Ellis was travelling with Testino to Paris, London, New York and Los Angeles. Things snowballed when Ellis met French fashion editor Emmanuelle Alt, who introduced her to Karl Lagerfeld. All of a sudden, Ellis was managing an army of make-up artists and instructing them how to apply the make-up she had designed for Lagerfeld’s shows for Fendi and Chanel. The rest, as they say, is history...

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview with Ellis Faas.
by Daniel Frischmann.

Her makeup Line is modern, innovative in concept, colors, design, packaging and endless in possibilities, Ellis Faas has reimagined the beauty to make women feel amazing and create a look to enhance their natural beauty to transcend age and style. In this Interview Ellis Talks about Influences, Beauty Secrets and amazing moments as makeup artist.

Where did you get your start in the industry?
I studied in Paris, worked in London (mostly doing pop videos and mimicking diseases for the pharmaceutical industry), then in Amsterdam where in 1999 I was “discovered” by Mario Testino who then took me all over the world. So it was Mario who introduced me to the various fashion capitals in the world.

What is the philosophy behind Ellis Faas Cosmetics?
The combination of colour, texture and portability. The latter was the starting point for the brand. I wanted to create something compact, something that was ideal for women on the move - whether they are travelling, going to the office or otherwise moving about. Makeup bags traditionally are one big mess in which you can never find what you need, so I created something that organises it but still gives the 100% flexibility of which products someone wants to carry at a specific moment, and which products are left at home. Practically all products come in similarly shaped pens that can be fitted into a Holder that has room for a total of 8 products (including foundation and powder). For smaller trips, such as a visit to a restaurant or discotheque, we also have Clips with which you can connect as few or as many products as you like.

Own definition of Beauty?
Perfection is boring, so true beauty always has a uniqueness and something unexpected.

What’s the secret to seamless foundation application?
The right choice of product, which of course is our Skin Veil. This is truly a miracle product: light as a feather, but with enough pigment to mask imperfections, and five minutes after application it sinks in to the skin.

The line of Ellis Faas is based on the colours that the body produces naturally. The important thing is finding the balance between the tone of your skin and the shades of makeup you choose."

Colors you love and why?
When selecting the range of shades, I simply made the colours I love most. Then I stood back and tried to figure out why I loved these colours so much. I realised, it had probably to do with my love for special effects. If for a movie you make a black eye and you use the "wrong" colours, even a 5-year-old will see that it's fake - and I believe that this is the same for beautifying makeup. So I like colours that somehow naturally belong to the human body - so nothing too primary or cold. That is why I called the range Human Colours. The good added value is that our shades look good on each skintone. Whether or not you like a certain colour is a matter of taste, but it will not look "fake", so in that sense they are fool-proof.

Which products from your line do you use on yourself?
For my own makeup I only use products from my brand. But to be honest, my own face doesn’t interest me anymore. I just try to appear well-rested.

Most triumphant moment of your career?
Building my own line and the many shows i did with designers whom i used dreamt about as a child: Lagerfeld, Gaultier, Moschino…

Favorite era?
Makeup-wise, I’m a child of the 1980s when people really LOVED makeup.

Most defining beauty moment from the last decade?
The excess of plastic surgery - a debatable moment.

Most common beauty mistake?
Choosing the wrong shade of foundation. And I also tell non-professionals no to try shaping the face, because that is not as easy as any people think.
If you could invent one beauty product that doesn’t exist what would it be?
I am not gonna tell you, the competition is listening :-)

Beauty predictions for Fall 2014?
No idea. I am not into trends. In fact, I am so serious about my colours, that they are here to stay. I am not going to say “Last season we had a nice pink, but this season’s pink is different and better”. That is just marketing bullsh*t. So for Fall 2014, I hope something that actually counts for any season: that people will experiment and will go their own way, without letting their own taste be overruled by someone else.

Style Icon?
David Bowie was a great, great inspiration growing up.

You're from Netherlands, what do you think is about distinctive about dutch style?
Sense of colour, no-nonense, international, ease-of-use that goes hand in hand with design.

Favorite?
Book: The Painted Bird, by Jerzy Kosinski.
Song: every day a different one, but today it’s José James; “come to my door”.
Movie: The Hours.
Designer: anyone who has poetry and a sense of humour in their clothes can knock on my door.

Did you know that Ellis not only does the makeup for her own brand, but also all of the photography? In fact, she discovered her passion for makeup while doing photography.

Ellis Faas products are no tested on animals, only tested on Supermodels ®.

brand Visuals.
Photographer: Ellis Faas.
Vi@: www.ellisfaas.com
Ellis.1.jpg

Ellis.2.jpg

Ellis.3.jpg

Ellis.4.jpg

Ellis.5.jpg

Thanks for starting this well deserved thread :flower:

Her ingenious artistry in those late 90s LV campaign ads are forever etched in my memory :heart:

VP used to be so striking...

"BEAUTE DU FUTUR"
VOGUE PARIS FEBRUARY 2001
Photographer: Jean-Baptiste Mondino
Fashion Editor: Anastasia Barbieri
Model: Malgosia Bela
Hair: Stephane Lancien
Make-up: Ellis Faas

Mojopin scans

Can a mod move this thread to 'Behind the Lens' :flower:

Vogue Italia January 2003
The Glow and the Magic
Photographer:
Paolo Roversi
Stylist: Alice Gentilucci
Model: Naomi Campbell
Make-Up: Ellis Faas
Hair: Yannick d'Is

archivio.vogue.it

Vogue Russia November 2000
"Jazz is Only for Punks"
Photographer : Mario Testino
Stylist : Lucinda Chambers
Hair : Marc Lopez
Make Up : Ellis Faas
Models : Anouck Lèpere, Kim Peers, Natasa Vojnovic & Unknowns

Scanned by Neyasnii Shepot

Vogue Italia April 2007
"Ravishing Beauties"
Models: Jessica Stam & Sabisha Friedberg
Photographer: Peter Lindebrgh
Stylist: Nicoletta Santoro
Hair: Yannick d'Is
Makeup: Ellis Faas

2bmanagement.com

Vogue Paris May 2001
"Buffalo"
Model: Karolina Kurkova
Photographer: Jean-Baptiste Mondino
Stylist: Emmanuelle Alt
Hair: Jean Louis David
Makeup: Ellis Faas

stefmodels.fr

Vogue Russia January 2004
"Beauty"
Model: Polina Kouklina
Photographer: John Akehurst
Hair: Peter Gray
Make Up: Ellis Faas

Scanned by Neyasnii Shepot

Vogue Italia October 2004
"A Great Story"
Models: Nicole Trunfio, Suzanne Pots, Polina Kouklina, Anna Jagodzinska, Louise Pedersen & Lisa Cant
Photographers: Peter Lindbergh, Inez & Vinoodh, David Lachapelle, Patrick Demarchelier & Paolo Roversi
Stylists: Nicoletta Santoro, Joe McKenna, Anne Christensen & Patti Wilson
Hair: Ward, Kevin Ryan, Laurent Philippon, Gavin & Luigi Murenu
Makeup: Mark Carrasquillo, Gucci Westman, Petros Petrohilos, Ellis Faas & Lisa Butler

archivio.vogue.it

W August 2001
Broken Dolls
Photographer: Michael Thompson
Stylist: Joe Zee
Models: Erin Wasson & Natasa Vojnovic
Make-Up: Ellis Faas
Hair: Kevin Ryan

jedroot.com via Melancholybaby

Dazed & Confused April 2012
"Sporting Couture"
Photographer: Richard Burbridge