Elsa Klensch

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Atelier, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Elsa Klensch's show on CNN was one of the reasons I got into fashion. I'll be interested reading this new book.

2. metal-on-metal

Sounds interesting. I loved her show because it was so clean and straightforward. No slick editing, no booming techno, no outrageous characters. Just beautiful fashion presented in a beautiful way. I was so heartbroken when CNN cancelled it. :( Nice to see she's still around.

3. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

I think this would be an interesting read. The last fashion mystery I read was about the House of Gucci, what a read.
    Thanks to Elsa for introducing me to fashion in the early 80s. I couldn't wait until 1:00 on Saturday afternoon. Hmmm...my parents should have figured it out then :innocent:

4. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

same with me chris...i watched religiously every saturday for a glimpse into the magical fantasy world called fashion...

she was always very journalistic in her approach...she was genuinely 'reporting'...
    i have a lot of respect for her and applaud her for being at the forefront of fashion journalism...

plus-i love agatha christie and a good murder mystery...!!!

5. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

I used to watch it as a little kid. I love her! :smile:

6. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

was it just me or was everyone else like mysteriously hypnotized by her voice...like i couldn't leave the tv screen while she was talking

7. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

You're not alone. :lol:

8. rubycat

rubycat New Member

I always liked her show. Sounds like an interesting read.

9. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Still haven't gotten around to reading it. In fact I totally forgot about it but she popped in my mind today.

[​IMG]

10. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

funny she lieks John le care, I used to be friends with his grandson, odd family...

The book sounds intresting.

11. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Wow...the connections you've got Space* :lol:

I concur with everybody. While I am more indebted to Tim Blanks for showing the world of fashion to me,I still very much admired Elsa Klensch's genuine way of presenting. It wasn't celeb induced....there was so much emphasis on the collection's and interview's with designer's describing the work. As she said herself it was all about the design and nothing else really.

The book sounds really interesting,indeed.

12. marrimoda

marrimoda doing it

I miss her show terribly...she's one of the few journalists who inspired me to become a journalist. I remember all those years ago, watching Style, and then getting inspired to sew...I'd start a project, and leave cnn on all day...caught some fine news reporting back then too. its all different now.

all the hyperactive editing high-energy hokey presenters really cheapen television coverage of fashion. Elsa's show allowed it to be a quality art form and product on for simply what it was. I like tim blanks...that show by jeane beker is good too. But Elsa...shes the best.

13. lady grey

lady grey New Member

elsa

I still have vhs tapes from the 80s of 'style' on cnn.
    havent watched them in awhile but i have a log of all the designers 7 models she featured...

what about "YOU!" with edie locke- anybody remember that show...??

met edie once at a kors show she was REALLY nice.

14. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

ha.. i must also have some good old tapes of Style somewhere,
    used to love Elsa

15. liberty33r1b

liberty33r1b Well-Known Member

i just loved her show, never missed one, and always taped it.....she made me aware of fashion, and when it was cancelled it was like the end of an era. i still miss that show!!
    why was it ever cancelled anyways? i'm still wondering to this day......
    i just wish she would venture back into the fashion world, maybe as an editor or guest editor, or with another show....

16. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Because,I believe they were revamping CNN and CNN International totally and they wanted to introduce some new programming. That's when they introduced Design 360º ....which is also very good too!.

17. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

design 360 is pretty good too, but for sure its no STYLE ..

18. marrimoda

marrimoda doing it

in the last few years cnn has gone through major management and ownership changes...but if the viewership of Elsa's show wasnt as consistently high then they may have taken a ratings based decision. But really, tons of people loved that show. Actually come to think of it, CNN went through this big re-branding, where they were getting rid of most of their "mature" correspondents in favor of the younger less paid correspondents. There were several older reporters who's contracts were not renewed, and older style shows that were cancelled. Poor foresight on their part, no?