Elton Takes Swipe At Madonna

stylegurrl

Reaction score
A BRAVER MAN THAN MOST
Elton John has launched a no-holds-bared attack on his old friend Madonna, slamming her for not singing live. Sir Elton's outburst took place at yesterday's Q Awards after he discovered the Material Girl had been nominated for Best Live Act. "Madonna! Best f*****g live act? F*** off," he shouted into the mic when he arrived on stage to pick up his own award. "Since when has lip-synching been live? Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay £75 to see them should be shot." And it appears he's not worried about his rant being reported in the press. "That's me off her f*****g Christmas card list but do I give a toss? No," he added before leaving the stage. However, Elton can sleep easy tonight safe in the knowledge that the judges, at least, agree with him, awarding British band Muse the Best Live Act gong rather than Madge. (5 October, 2004, 7AM) SOURCE: DAILY MIRROR

Elton John Takes Swipe at Madonna Over Lip-Synching
Mon Oct 4, 2004 04:13 PM ET

By Paul Majendie
LONDON (Reuters) - British pop veteran Elton John took a foul-mouthed swipe at Madonna Monday, saying she cheated her fans by miming on stage.

But the American pop superstar was swift to rubbish his accusation, saying she does not lip-synch or criticize other artists.

While collecting a song-writing award from Q music magazine in London, John suddenly launched into a tirade against Madonna when he discovered she had been nominated for Best Live Act.

"Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay 75 pounds ($134) to see them should be shot," John said in reference to ticket prices for Madonna's Reinvention tour.

"Madonna, best f---ing live act? F--- off," said the singer renowned as much for his outrageous outbursts as he is for his outlandish outfits.

"Since when has lip-synching been live?" he asked.

He ended his outburst by saying: "That's me off her f---ing Christmas card list but do I give a toss? No."

His tirade prompted a swift response from her U.S. spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg who said in a statement: "Madonna does not lip-synch nor does she spend her time trashing other artists.

"She sang every note on her Reinvention tour live and is not ashamed that she was well paid for her hard work."

And Madonna, 46, showed she was not taking John's criticism too seriously.

"Elton John remains on her Christmas card list whether he is nice ... or naughty," the statement added. Madonna lost out to British band Muse for the Live Act title.

Elton John hit the headlines in Taiwan last month when, confronted by a wall of flashing cameras at Taipei airport, he lashed out at the local media, calling them "rude, vile pigs."

"The televisions and photographers at the airport were the rudest people that I've ever met and I've been to 60 countries," the 57-year-old star said.

His partner, David Furnish, has memorably captured the flamboyant star at his most outrageous and demanding in a fly-on-the-wall documentary appropriately named "Tantrums and Tiaras."

Madonna herself is no stranger to foul-mouthed outbursts -- as the organizers of one of the world's most famous art prizes found out to their cost three years ago.

Britain's Channel Four had to apologize for Madonna's "strong language" when she presented the Turner Prize on live television.

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Oct 4 2004, 11:38 PM
"She sang every note on her Reinvention tour live
[snapback]385615[/snapback]​
I don't believe that for a second.

Go Elton!!!!!

dude...elton is the bomb! you go boy...am i the only one who thinks she is overrated? take away the sex hype, the pricey videos and the strange clothing and madonna is nothing...

I was surprised that Elton used such language at an awards ceremony, but I couldn't agree with him more. Madonna is a mediocre singer who has to rely on shock tactics and cheesy publicity stunts to keep her failing career going. :ninja: :innocent:

Elton seems to be losing it recently with his wannabe diva outbursts :rolleyes:

does anyone who saw the tour wanna comment?
i saw it but i had no reason to suspect she wasnt doing any of it live

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Oct 5 2004, 12:53 AM
I was surprised that Elton used such language at an awards ceremony, but I couldn't agree with him more. Madonna is a mediocre singer who has to rely on shock tactics and cheesy publicity stunts to keep her failing career going. :ninja: :innocent:
[snapback]385742[/snapback]​

hmmm...sounds kind of like another american pop singer *cough* brit *cough*

Originally posted by sugarpea@Oct 5 2004, 12:28 AM
dude...elton is the bomb! you go boy...am i the only one who thinks she is overrated? take away the sex hype, the pricey videos and the strange clothing and madonna is nothing...
[snapback]385713[/snapback]​

wait i think you just described every female pop star...

Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 5 2004, 05:42 PM
[snapback]386055[/snapback]​
:lol: :lol:

Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 5 2004, 09:42 AM
[snapback]386055[/snapback]​

haha...youre right..i did...oh and add eminem, ricky martin etc to that list

I saw her show in Paris.
I really believe she lip-synched on several songs (songs with a choreography).
Of course she didn't use the album versions but recorded concert versions with intentional flaws.

Madonna?.. Sync.?.. Im disappointed... :cry: Elton has opened my eyes to the trueth. :ninja:

Oh come on Elton, don't be so bitchy.

Besides, if you took away all the flashy costumes, gay idol status and diva behavior, Elton would be......well, a pianist.

Originally posted by Spike413@Oct 5 2004, 02:30 PM
Besides, if you took away all the flashy costumes, gay idol status and diva behavior, Elton would be......well, a pianist.
[snapback]386520[/snapback]​
Which is still far more than what Madonna would be.

I don't mean to suggest anything about anyone here, but I'll just say that to the untrained ear, it's often very difficult to hear whether it's live or not. I've watched the Grammy's countless times with people who think that all the performances are entirely live... :rolleyes: :innocent:

I haven't been to the Reinvention tour, so I don't know whether she sang live. But I have seen her singing live before, and it was terrible! She has a very weak voice... I like her, but it's true...
Go Elton!
It's nice when a man is not afraid to speak his mind!

Her voice even sounds amateurish on her recordings. I her CDs weren't so overproduced and polished and corrected, no one would think she has much talent at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->