Etta James Slams Beyonce

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by Retro, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Retro

Retro Active Member

Thu, 05 February 2009 at 2:41 pm
    Etta James Hates Hates Hates Beyonce

[​IMG]
    Etta James very publicly expressed her hatred for Beyonce at a concert in Seattle last week. (They looked so friendly together on the red [FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif][FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]carpet[/FONT][/FONT] back in November!)

The 71-year old legendary singer said to her audience, “You guys know your President [Barack Obama], right? You know the one with the big ears? Wait a minute, he ain’t my President, he might be yours but he ain’t my President.”

Etta continued, “I tell you that woman he had singing for him, singing my song, she gonna get her *** whooped… The great Beyonce … but I can’t stand Beyonce. She has no business up there, singing up there on a big ol’ president day … singing my song that I’ve been singing forever.”

Of note: Etta was the third person to record “At Last” in 1961 behind Glenn Miller (1941) and Nat King Cole (1957). Check out the rant below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQMK...znet.com/2009/02/05/etta-james-hates-beyonce/

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/02/05/etta-james-hates-beyonce/#comments

#1 Retro, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 5, 2009
  2. modela

modela Active Member

i think they confirmed it wasnt her

3. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

i dunno...i just do not know about this. it's really one of the most bizarre things i've heard.

granted it was recorded by others but it was she who made it such a classic. and glenn miller performed it through conducting the song in orchestra wives of which it was originally written for. but he never sang it nor was it ever released in that variation. and it was never released as an a side for nat king cole either...only album.

#3 Scott, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by moderator cin: Feb 5, 2009
  4. 18ForEver

18ForEver New Member

Im shocked...no way:O

5. Jacque Marcel

Jacque Marcel army of lovers

She should have sung the the song that night not Beyonce. Why go to an imitator when you have the original alive and kicking.

6. pacersfanatic36

I was thinking the exact same thing. And, whether James actually said those words or not, I think the whole situation is funny. I'm beyond sick of Beyonce.

7. nollafyzzil

nollafyzzil New Member

B) Nicely put

8. Spiral1532

Spiral1532 New Member

Actually, the show Access Hollywood just confirmed that Etta did say those things. They aired a recording of Etta saying that stuff.

9. Retro

Retro Active Member

Etta James truly miffed about Obama snub, but was kidding about disliking Beyonce

BY Carrie Melago
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Updated Thursday, February 5th 2009, 6:37 PM
    [​IMG] Rodriguez/Getty Etta James and Beyonce at the premiere of "Cadillac Records."

Singer Etta James says she was only trying to get a laugh when she said she "can't stand" Beyoncé and made fun of President Obama's ears during a concert in Seattle.

James told the Daily News Thursday she meant no harm when she poked fun at the President and ripped Beyoncé for her performance of James' hit "At Last" during the inauguration.

"I didn't really mean anything," James said. "Even as a little child, I've always had that comedian kind of attitude. ... That's probably what went into it."
    Still, James acknowledged being miffed she wasn't invited to perform her signature song for Obama's first dance with his wife on inauguration night.

James said she was "feeling left out of something that was basically mine, that I had done every time you look around."

She said she liked Beyoncé's performance, but when asked if she thought she could have done better, James answered, "I think so. That's a shame to say that."

James made the controversial comments before performing the song at a concert in Seattle last week. She began by saying of Obama, "You know your President, right? You know the one with the big ears?"

She went on to say about Beyoncé, "I tell you that woman he had singing for him, singing my song, she gonna get her *** whupped."

James said Thursday she kept the insults rolling only because the crowd was laughing so hard, a reaction that can be heard on a recording.

"Nobody was getting mad at me in Seattle," she said. "They were all laughing, and it was funny."

She said the jokes were "not from a vicious place."

James pointed out that she posed for a picture and spoke with Beyoncé last year before the premiere of "Cadillac Records," in which the young singer portrays the 71-year-old legend.

As for Obama, James said she "always thought he was handsome and he was cool."

"I still had my joke about him," she said. "That might be horrible. The President might not ever like me in life."

She questioned how upset Obama could possibly be about the barb: "He's got other stuff [to worry about] besides Etta James."

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2...etta_james_truly_miffed_about_obama_snub.html

10. Flashbang

Flashbang Mr. Magic

sigh people these days.
    bad joke Etta...bad joke...

11. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

LOL, ok, yeah, lets try to sell it as a joke.

But I hate Beyonce so I hope she was serious.

12. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

i can't say i love beyonce either but i sort of feel sorry for her.....this just seems so mean!

13. McClaire

McClaire New Member

i second that. (it's nice to know you're not the only one that cant stand this girl.)

14. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

well she said it was a joke..which am not sure it was or just PR move but why would she expect to beinvited to sing for a president that she didnt support? I mean she said it herself that hes not her president..plus Beyonce just did a rendition of a song she did arendition of....^_^

15. pacersfanatic36

I assumed the "He's not my president" line was a joke made because he didn't ask her to perform (not necessarily an admission that she voted for McCain, Nader, or anyone else :D). Seriously, there was little reason for James not to be asked to perform. It's not as if she's retired or anything.

16. 18ForEver

18ForEver New Member

I think Beyonce meant good,she sang beautifully and she showed such emotion.Why wasnt Etta Asked so?Awh gosh it shouldnt be such a problem.....

17. Bahiyya

Bahiyya Active Member

If she has an issue she should take it out on Obama not Beyonce. It's not as if the girl campaigned to get it over her she asked and accepted it fair and square. Yeesh.

18. Fiercification

Fiercification Well-Known Member

OMG this rumour was ridiculous, but a good read none the less :lol:

Beyonce needs to not cover other people's songs that much though.........this was a different type of occasion and an honour for her though ;)