Excess Baggage F/W 06.07

Avant Garde

Reaction score
May 25, 2006 – When it comes to fall's best bags, size really is everything. At Chanel, chain-handled patent totes were so extravagant, they almost grazed the runway. Satchels of carry-on proportions lent a jet-set air at Marc Jacobs, Chloé, and Givenchy, where Riccardo Tisci outfitted Naomi Campbell in an L.B.D. and not one but two black holdalls. At Tuleh, meanwhile, Bryan Bradley's patrician "Vassar Girls" were followed by a trio of "Suitcase Girls" determinedly lugging old-fashioned hard cases in both hands. "The whole point," Bradley explains, "is that she carries her own bags: She's crisply, quietly self-sufficient."

Camilla Stærk isn't one to rely on a porter, either. The inspiration for her oversized carrier came from her father, who transported Verner Panton glass dishes in leather duffels. "I'm actually addicted to my bag," the Danish-born designer admits. "I think the reason for this is partly the psychologically safe feeling of knowing that I have my work with me at all times. Also, I can carry shoes if I'm going out after work." Ah, shoes—now that's a subject for another column.

style.com

Patent pending: Chanel’s super-sized tote/Living large at Marc Jacobs.

01m.jpg
02m.jpg

Carpetbagging at Marc by Marc Jacobs/Down to business at Chloé.

03m.jpg
04m.jpg

Naomi lands in style at Givenchy/Rocking the croc at Celine/Larger view

05m.jpg
06m.jpg
07m.jpg

School of cool: Dries Van Noten’s satchel/Plastic-packed at Central Saint Martins’ student show.

08m.jpg
09m.jpg

Louis Vuitton’s silver streak/Marni maxes out.

10m.jpg
11m.jpg

Green Day: Derek Lam’s colorful big bag/The greening of America at Ralph Lauren.

12m.jpg
13m.jpg

Independent spirit rewarded at Tuleh/Big pink: Camilla Stærk’s shoulder bag.

14m.jpg
15m.jpg

(style.com)

i'm all for huge bags for fw, it will be a fresh alternative to the uber mini cross shoulder i've been carrying around all spring/summer

karma for bringing us the thread avant garde :flower:

mmm big bags make their wearers look so tiny... like miniature dolls. barbie goes to Paris!

that camilla staerk bag is ridiculous though. what is that? did she have to use the whole cowhide?

Like Lena said, it is a nice change from miniature bags...

I personally can't wait before those tiny, cheap "armpit" bags are history... :ninja:

true, when too big they do look as one is going away for a weekend :D
but they sure are a trend (dare say already?)

Lena said:
i'm all for huge bags for fw, it will be a fresh alternative to the uber mini cross shoulder i've been carrying around all spring/summer

karma for bringing us the thread avant garde :flower:

Thanks Lena :flower:

Currently, I'm using a large bag and I love being able to throw it over my shoulder. Little bags have never done much for me

I can't wait to see more of the Marc Jacobs/ Marc by Marc bags. When will they hit the shelves?

big bags are my passion :heart: i always have so much to carry with me, so small bags aren't really useable although i love clutches

2 children + book/magazine addiction + indecision = loving huge bags

i'm so glad they're so many new beautiful ones coming!!!

those tiny 'armpit' :rofl: sacs were so tedious for me. i tried but it was a joke for my life...so, sayonara to them. for a longtime j'espere. at least until i'm thinner and my kids are older.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->