W's top ten collections of f/w 06

masquerade

God Save McQueen
Reaction score
W's Bridget Foley on Fall's strongest collections
Moody and broody, but beautifully so. An aura of dark intrigue permeated the fall collections. Yet one could find plenty of diversity within this overall attitude, and the best collections shone with spectacular clothes. So while urban warriors may take up arms with Miuccia Prada, and grunge girls, Marc Jacobs, gentler types will likely revel in Rochas, and their drama queen counterparts, the spectacular brilliance of Alexander McQueen.

Alexander Mcqueen
img1.jpg

Another stunner from the showman: Aristo tweeds and tartans, daffy bird hats, dreamy evening dresses—luxe with a rebellious edge.

Burberry Prorsum
img2.jpg

Christopher Bailey's waif-ish "It" girl has grown up for fall, as quirky Brit cool gave way to graceful, high-polish sophistication.

Hermes
img3.jpg

Jean Paul Gaultier's best yet for the house: Überluxury served up with quiet elegance and a hint of Parisian élan. Perfectly Hermès.

Marc Jacobs
img4.jpg

The master of grunge brought the look back with a vengeance, complete with moody colors, updated with endless layers and an explosion of ebullient details.

Prada
img5.jpg

Miuccia Prada's collection was a deft fusion of beautiful and bold, refined and raw, sensual and sober—a salute to très chic savages.

Rochas
img6.jpg

The quiet man of fashion, Olivier Theyskens knows how to stir the senses—with a graceful aesthetic and sublimely beautiful clothes.

Stella McCartney
img7.jpg

McCartney turned her personal cool into must-have sportwear —polished, terrifically real clothes women will want to live in.

Tuleh
img8.jpg

Bryan Bradley's stellar homage to Vassar girls was a heady mix of glamour, high chic, and arrogance, with a soupçon of eccentricity.

Versace
img9.jpg

Arrivederci, girly girls. Donatella Versace's sophisticated (but still sexy) warrior woman flaunts looser shapes and moody blues.

Viktor & Rolf
img10.jpg

The lady lives. She's snooty, polished, and oh-so-grand in Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren's fab collection that riffed on the haute Fifties.

style.com

a lot of odd choices here, but at least they chose to add mcqueen and versace with vogue didnt

yeah i'm really surprised vogue didnt pick mcqueen. really strange choices like tuleh gaultier should have been in there i loved that collection.

ps your avatar is the scariest thing i have ever seen i love it!

thanks for posting! I am suprised they put mccartney on there, I thought it was one of her worst collections.

caryanne said:
thanks for posting! I am suprised they put mccartney on there, I thought it was one of her worst collections.

yeah, and i found tuleh and burbery prorsum to be entirely unimpressive

^I agree. I wish Balenciaga was on there somewhere...maybe in place of Prada:innocent:

these things are so awfully subjective...still, if we're taking about the strongestand most relevant collections, V&R definitely wasn't one of them, uh-uh...

Thanks for that list.

I actually really loved Fendi, Roberto Cavalli, and Dolce & Gabanna, none of which were mentioned.

Some of the collections they mentioned are too plain for me. Especially Stella!

Last edited by a moderator:
i found throught that both the vogue and w lists were just missing one thing
EACH OTHER
i thought that they both had bazzar picks and left a few vital things out
i was extreemly happy that W included victor and rolf but didn't understand mccartney, like people have said before it was one of her least impressive collections

Ok as if the Vogue list wasn't ******** enough, this W list breaks new ground. Tuleh? TULEH??!! Are you serious? What a joke. Where's Balenciaga and YSL? Really shocked those were left out. Some very dubious choices here.

i agree the choices are obvious.... yeah i agree with mcqueen, peter&rolf and rochas.. but stella???? burberry???? prada for heaven's sake??? are they on some kind of mood stabilizers????
how about celine? how about chloé (yes that's right i really liked it)? how about gauthier couture?

i wholeheartedly agree with the above two posts...add another couple of "????!!!"..:lol:

imo Missoni should be on there, I loved that collection and did they forget Marni? that was a lovely collection

and Marc Jacobs!? ugh I hate that collection, I felt like that collection was Sportmax-gone-bad. Sportmax did that style way better imo

ugh

where are the japanese and belgians on that list?? :ninja:

i mean.. Rei, Tao, Junya, Jun .. Ann, Haider, Dries etc?? :(

i am glad to see versace on the list. she rarely makes it on the top 10. i really like it. loved the "oscar" dresses at the end. they looked like someone just wrapped liquid metal around the models.

i only agree on McQueen, burberry and Hermes, the rest of their choices i find pure hype...
as far as commercial collections go, i'd add Botega Venetta, Martin Grant, Akris, Marni and this new Milano label with the number name (their name ..escapes me completly)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->