Fan Bingbing

Marie Claire Malaysia November 2019

Photographer: Chen Man
Styling: Azza Arif & Ai Lim
Hair: Song Yang
Make-up: Bonnie Hu
Model: Fan Bing Bing

Source:marieclaire.com.my

Fan Bingbing attend Chris by Christopher Bu S/S 2020 Show on November 4, 2019 in Beijing, China.

weibo.com

FANBEAUTY SECRET Chinese Peony Mask F/W 2019

Designer:
Fan Bing Bing
Photographer: Chen Man
Stylist: Min Rui
Hair: Bon Fan Zhang
Make-up: Marian Woo
Model: Fan Bing Bing

Source:weibo.com

BTS of Marie Claire Malaysia November 2019 Cover shoot with Fan Bing Bing

L'Officiel Russia December 2019

Photographer: Dalong Yang
Stylist: Zhu Hai Jia

Source:lofficielrussia.ru

Harper's Bazaar Vietnam January 2020

Stylist: Zhu Hai Jua
Hair: Gao Jian
Make-up: Hu Yi Yin

Source:instagram.com/bazaarvietnam

L'Officiel Russia December 2019

Stylist: Zhu Hai Jia

Source:instagram.com/magproducerleadingmedia

T Magazine Singapore January 2020

A Singular Beauty

Photographer: Liu Zongyuan
Hair: Zhi Guo He
Make-up: Xin Miao

Source:tsingapore.com

Flaunt Magazine January 2020

Stylist: Mui-Hai Chu
Make-up: Hu Yi Yin

Source:flaunt.com

LifeStyle China Group Ltd YOUTURE Ceremony on January 6, 2020 in Beijing.

weibo.com

FAN BINGBING | AT HOME, RELAXED AND DELIGHTFULLY UNGUARDED

The breadth and influence Fan Bingbing’s star carries in China and abroad can seem otherworldly. As the most sought after actor in China—a status built on roles she played as a young woman, such as the late ‘90s television series, My Fair Princess, set in the 18th-century Qing Dynasty, or Cell Phone, a dramedy surrounding infidelity and the prescient bridging of technology and interpersonal encounters from 2003—Bing is consistently at the center of high-grossing and heavily reviewed projects from period epics to comedies to contemporary love stories.

Her debut album, Just Begun, was released by Warner Music Beijing in 2005, underscoring her talents on the screen and in the studio. And in the past few years, with her ornamental gowns gracing Cannes red carpets, and on-screen prowess transposed onto more English-speaking screens (X-Men Days of Future Past and a cameo in an extended version of Iron Man 3), the actor has become increasingly recognizable in the Western world. Indeed, with an online following that hovers between the populations of Italy and France, it’s safe to say Bing has company.

Born in the northeastern city of Qingdao and raised in Yantai in China’s Shandong Province, Bing’s parents were creatives themselves. With creative expression as a family value, Bing would go on to graduate from Shanghai Xie Jin Film and Television Art College, as well as Shanghai Theatre Academy.

More recently, Bing took a break for a few months from social media and public appearances. Like any major star—though we are reluctant to liken Bing’s global position to that of anyone’s—the scrutiny, high-stakes capital, and the fickle nature of fandom can occasionally necessitate a large step backwards, into respite. Ready for a new decade, however, Bing’s return feels like that of a majestic phoenix, and her selective appearances (mostly those of charitable intent) and commentary in the media have imparted introspection, maturation, and calm.

While being photographed in Beijing, Bing remains resilient and hopeful for the future. More than ever, the actor understands the importance of self-worth and the refusal to self-evaluate on the basis of others’ opinions. After all, her upcoming film 355—an espionage flick starring a high-profile bevy of an all-female cast including Penélope Cruz, Jessica Chastain, Lupita Nyong’o, and Diane Kruger—is a highly anticipated tour de force which will undoubtedly accentuate the importance of friendship between nations and cultures, and be pretty kick-***, too. Bing also has The Perfect Blue and L.O.R.D: Legends of Ravaging Dynasties 2, two Chinese-produced movies, coming down the pipeline. Flaunt is humbled to kick off 2020 in conversation with the star about her unparalleled career.
flaunt.com

Who were some of your acting idols growing up? Can you name some Chinese actors that have influenced you and your craft?

I watched The Empress of the Dynasty starring Angela Pan Yin-tze when I was little. The character Pan played, and the TV show, inspired me. When I was little, I thought the character she played was so beautiful, and I dreamed of playing the role of Empress Wu one day. My dream was finally fulfilled later when I had the chance to star in The Empress of China.

Could you describe your work ethic and discipline towards acting? What are some unique ways you prepare for roles? Have these altered or evolved over time?

Each time I receive a script, I read through it and familiarize myself with it. Then I study every scene carefully. If the role is different from myself, I consider the character’s origin, personality, childhood, living conditions, and any other unique characteristics, because most of the time, characters depicted are far from actual actors, requiring a lot of preparation. This method consumes a lot of time and energy, but it is necessary. To better understand the character is to better portray the character later. I remember once for a production, I rented a small house and lived there for a long time around the production site. I postponed my other work to observe the local’s life—how they acted and spoke. It was an interesting feeling for me when I slowly blended in the local life and community as if I were part of their group.

How did you celebrate your 37th and 38th birthdays?

I don’t really enjoy extravagant birthday parties. I much more prefer to be surrounded by my family and friends in a more intimate setting. My past 2 birthdays were very simple, I had a birthday meal surrounded by my loved ones and made a wish by blowing out the candles on my birthday cake.

You recently completed the upcoming film, 355. What drew you to this script?

The first thing that attracted me was the story featuring an all-female cast. The film industry is now starting to pay more attention to women, which really excites and inspires me. The audience will see the power of women and culture as we come from five different countries and represent five different cultures.

There’s a stellar ensemble cast. Can you describe the atmosphere and chemistry with your fellow co-stars?

I met Jessica Chastain a few years ago on the jury panel at the Cannes Film Festival. We got along really well and quickly became friends. The other three cast members (Penélope Cruz, Diane Kruger, and Lupita Nyong’o) are all top actresses from their countries and are all highly professional, so we worked very well together. We all had a good understanding of the story and of the characters, so we were able to communicate effectively with each other.

What would you say is your biggest creative limitation?

I’ve been in the film industry for a long time. The biggest limitation for me is the notion of “Fan Bingbing”. This name has shaped the audience’s stereotypical impression of me, and when they watch my movies or shows, they view the characters through the lens of Fan Bingbing, rather than understanding the actual character in the story. To counteract this, I can portray more break-through characters. I don’t mind playing a character that is not physically attractive. I think a character’s physical unattractiveness can help the audience learn more about the story, setting and characters. These roles provide a new challenge as I find myself putting in more of an effort into studying the role so the audience can really get to know the character and her story.

What is the biggest misunderstanding people have about you?

As a public figure, there will always be misunderstandings, and it’s not a big issue as long as it is not further fabricated into false information and lies. ‘There are a thousand Hamlets in a thousand people’s eyes.’ I fully accept the public’s different perceptions of me, however, if I encounter fake news or information, I will let everyone know the truth through my legal team.

What advice would you give someone who’s experiencing challenges?

Experiencing challenge means you are meant to struggle in order to learn and grow. I encourage everyone to face them and work through them bravely. Don’t be afraid of challenge. It’s a gift, but such gifts won’t be easily delivered to you. You must work hard and be mentally strong to overcome each challenge presented.

Can you share any projects you are looking forward to most? Who is an actor/director with whom you’d most like to collaborate?

I have some scripts that I am reviewing right now and I have been communicating with some actors and directors. I would like to star in a melodrama, or what we call wenyi pian in China. The film market for wenyi pian in China still has a lot of potential because of the audience’s limited acceptance and understanding of the genre. I hope that I can help the wenyi genre by working side by side with the many exceptional directors that we have here in China. Together, we can produce true cinematic art.

What is something you’d like to try and haven’t yet?

There are a lot. For example, there are thousands of different people in this world for us to depict in movies. I am a very curious person, and I’d like the opportunity to play the role of every single different character. I am always in the mindset of never resting, trying more characters and experiencing more.

Where do you feel most at home? What does home mean to you?

Nowhere else is more comfortable than my actual home. I am a homebody, so I usually like to stay home, play with my cats, visit with my family, watch movies, read magazines and invest in my skincare products. Home to me is the place where I can be off guard and fully relax, where I can really enjoy my life. Home offers me a real feeling of security, because my family and cats are all around me. To me, that is the best life.

flaunt.com

ReFa Crystal CARAT FACE New Year 2020‎

Source: pierrefuria.com

T Magazine Japan March 17, 2020

Photographer: Liu Zongyuan
Hair: Zhi Guo He
Make-up: Xin Miao

Source:tjapan.jp

Numéro China April 2011

Photographer: Tiziano Magni
Stylist: Joseph Carle