"Fashion and Religion" rumored to be the theme for MET Gala 2018

^

This is what I have been wondering since rumors: whether the exhibition will cover all religions or just Catholicism. I kind of understand the reason, but is it quite lazy to use only Catholicism just because the majority designers are/were Catholics?

I don't think it's lazy, no.

The article says the original concept was fashion + the 5 major world religions. Presumably as the concept went forward, Catholicism emerged as far more relevant/important than the rest in fashion terms ... and so he went with it.

Amal Clooney and Rihanna?? When I think of Catholicism and fashion, those two immediately spring to mind. LMAO!

This theme is tailor made for Madonna, but since Anna has some kind of weird grudge against her, it was never in the cards. I'm actually looking forward to this exhibition tho.

Say what you want about Madonna, but she would have been perfect for this. When it comes to religion she's actually very intellectual, one can sense that it genuinely interest her. I doubt whether Rihanna ever opened a Catholic Bible in her life. She's probably only concerned with how much money she can get out of this. I think Anna should really try to appoint co-chairs who are actually interested and invested in the theme. It's always the most ridiculous trending names - Taylor, Rihanna, Katy, Jennifer Lawrence for China?????? I suppose these names are only for window dressing. Because when if you watched the MET China documentary you saw that it was actually the likes of Wendy Deng who put in the hours, educated herself by asking questions etc.

Seriously, the co-chairs are getting more and more random as the years go by. What's next, Lady Gaga?

I don't think it's lazy, no.

The article says the original concept was fashion + the 5 major world religions. Presumably as the concept went forward, Catholicism emerged as far more relevant/important than the rest in fashion terms ... and so he went with it.

Also Catholicism has the Vatican overlook it all whereas a lot of the other religions don't really have a centralised authority per se to advise the MET on how to organise the event. There's no centralised authority of Shia Islam or Sunni Islam for example to give advice on fashion and Islam.

Also I guess Catholicism and its iconography has had strong influence over fashion throughout the years whereas a lot of Islamic influence in fashion is actually influenced by Arab/Middle Eastern culture (ie Bedouin influence in Givenchy's fw09 couture collection) rather than the religion itself.

Nice cop out with the Catholicism thing, they are probably the only ones that won't bring out the pitchforks to the doors of the exhibition.

Nice cop out with the Catholicism thing, they are probably the only ones that won't bring out the pitchforks to the doors of the exhibition.

HAHAHAHAHA!! God, so true!! I also don't think it was chosen in terms of importance....

HAHAHAHAHA!! God, so true!! I also don't think it was chosen in terms of importance....

Of course. :lol: Well Ben, I guess the party line is that we all have to collectively pretend that this theme came out organically, and some bullsh*t about designers being raised Catholic and that's why the infinitely more interesting theme of Fashion and Religion was dropped. Well maybe it's for the best.

And i God I agree with you, I find Today's Madonna insufferable, but she's was extremely influential in her day and this exhibition is tailor made for her, is a travesty she was not invited.

Anyone who thinks there's any lack of Catholic outrage over cultural events and art simply hasn't been paying attention.

Anyone who thinks there's any lack of Catholic outrage over cultural events and art simply hasn't been paying attention.

Why do you say that, Fashionista-ta? Over what have they been pressed recently? I think the public image of the Catholic Church has been in peril for the past decade. And it's not only because of priests touching little boys. It started with Susan Sarandon calling one of the Popes a Nazi, their outdated and damning statements on domestic violence and Aids in South America and Africa, the list goes on and on. So I doubt they have much leg to stand on while weeping over the fashion industry's superficial take on their sacred emblems. Not that I excuse Anna and her posse at all, I think it was ridiculous to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course there is protest and even outrage when Catholicism is and often the target of art and design. But lives were not threatened and taken.

Let's be real: The truth is veering so much on that they dare not even mention any other religions in what may be perceived as superfluous exploitation of "The Others" by the West— even if it’s purely positive, in these PC, and terrorist times. Even 25 years ago, when Karl embroidered Islamic scripture on his Chanel HC pieces in tribute to his Saudi clienteles, he had to immediately burn these pieces since they offended Islam. No one is going to dare go near that again in 2018. Whereas taking on Catholicism won’t be met with just the brand of finger-wagging criticism-- nor real threats on Anna’s life like Salman Rushdie’s head was called for 27 years ago when he offended Islam-- and this time, likely from the extreme alt-Left SJWs if they even touch any other religion other than Catholicism LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Outrage of that kind is not exactly what we are talking here. Long are the days that offending the Catholic Hierarchy with your fashion choices was a question of life and dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->