MET Costume Institute Gala 2022 : In America: Anthology of Fashion (Part 2 of 2)

Aside from Nicola and Billie, I also loved Paloma in Coach, Daisy in Oscar, Glenn in Valentino, Janelle in Ralph, Lizzo in Thom, Jessica in Gucci, Jessie in Schiaparelli and Cardi in Versace.

It's awful. It's all just awful.
It's like Halloween in May and no one gets the best costume award.
MJ Rodriguez and Janelle Monáe giving serious 1930's Art Deco style are the only looks that seem to fit the theme.

If this is the closest thing we’re getting, then so be it :ninja:

Even more looks whose images are only getting released now:

Barely any of the people who attended dressed to the theme of "Gilded Glamour". The stupid ones took it literally, just adoring themselves in bling. It was so embarrassing to see them speak about the theme on the red carpet.

The truth is, these celebrities are so pretentious and self-obsessed that they will always come in whatever they want, regardless of the theme. Vogue/The Met should just get rid of the theme altogether because it just creates confusion and disappointment. I mean even Anna Wintour and the other co-chairs don't follow the theme, why would anyone else?

I posted this quote in a different thread last week, but I read a book recently where they used the MET Gala to define the word "kitsch" and honestly... the writer wasn't wrong. I have to post it again here, because it made me cackle when I first read it. :lol:

"An old fashioned word, quite difficult to summarily translate, roughly understood as a sentimentally pretentious attempt at art, in pathetic bad taste. The closest way to comprehend it today could be the red-carpet parade of the Met Gala..."

Kim K is exhausting due to how hard she tries. She’s the least glamorous person ever, there is no mystery or intrigue.

Though she usually looks good in her daily costumes lol she is not a compelling individual. Even to reduce a piece of fashion history that *should* be on display in a museum to Instagram clickbait that’ll be remembered for a week…..boring!

What a big fail for Vogue, they werent even close to covering every look.

EDIT: I just noticed in their own article for "every look" aside from grace, anok, adut, imaan, and sara. They dont even cover freaking Anna Wintour. What an embarrassment.

Last edited:
This gave me so much second hand embarrassment. Even those that dressed well were tainted by this aura of mediocrity and sheer desperation. As the years go by, the Met Gala has just become a sad circle jerk of connections and wealth but I guess that is the cornerstone of philanthropy, and I suppose "art" nowadays.

Also I'm one of those that doesn't care about the theme, but also to not look like a complete idiot on the carpet (Iris van Herpen does not automatically entitle those to a "moment"). Those that can be on theme should, as long as they personally possess the vernacular and actual care about what fashion is as a craft and the rich history it has. Not to look like some pathetic billboard or meek figure that looks so uncomfortable in what they're forced to wear.

They should've had the theme be the golden age of Hollywood, I feel like more attendees would adhere to it (some actually seemed to follow that theme), and that old Hollywood glamour is more associated with American fashion than the gilded age which most people don't seem to understand (it was post civil war to 1900 so I don't think anyone attending even knows much about it) The gilded age was about a time when the rich had more money than they knew what to do with and weren't shy about flaunting it. The fashion was extravagant, and if I'm recalling correctly this was also around the time of Charles Fredrick Worth, who is considered the father of haute couture. I thought there would be some beautiful maximalist gowns to highlight the theme but I guess celebrities don't know how to Google. It's kind of tone deaf and timely in a way to have the them be the gilded age considering what's going on. Otherwise it seems like they just chose it because of the new tv show about it.

Also I don't think Kim looked good in that Marylin dress at all. Maybe it's the poor quality of the photos, but on Marylin it looked slinky and more sheer at least around the bust, but it looks very ill fitting on Kim. Elon Musk was on theme in more ways than one.

Did anybody ever even see Rianne in the Vogue broadcast? Just goes to show how terrible their coverage is.

From @riannevanrompaey, @jordenbickham, and @bryantartists on instagram
279639638_1010486582909754_5735640715535715290_n.jpg 279568911_1129273714579611_5377800585764457718_n.jpg 279824552_4779914602134560_248081939634964291_n.jpg

I don’t get why Kim decided on that look for the gilded glamour theme, but the talk around her being “disrespectful” and how she “didn’t need to wear the dress” is so ridiculous people literally pull sh*t out of thin air to complain about with her

Decided to look through the hundreds of photos on the Vogue website and whittle it down to my favorites (again, no one blew me away, but I liked quite a few)

Top 10:
Billie Eilish
Caroline Trentini
Emma Chamberlain
Nicola Coughlan
Hailey Bieber
Evan Mock
Laura Harrier
Jessica Chastain
Kendall Jenner
Lizzo

HM (in no particular order) : Paloma Elsesser, Maisie Williams, David Harbour, Blake Lively, Kacey Musgraves, Cardi B, Kaia Gerber, Stormzy, Amber Valletta, Tessa Thompson, Carey Mulligan

I don’t get why Kim decided on that look for the gilded glamour theme, but the talk around her being “disrespectful” and how she “didn’t need to wear the dress” is so ridiculous people literally pull sh*t out of thin air to complain about with her
And it'll probably come out later on that she was likely wearing a copy, but just like 'Kylie is a billionaire according to Forbes', it doesnt matter if anything's real or fake, as long as it keeps them in the news, one way or the other. Mission accomplished.

I'm a half glass full type of person so I'll make a list of the looks I liked. (Looking at every outfit a day later made me appreciate some more than I initially did.)

Nicola Coughlan in Richard Quinn
Adut Akech in vintage Christian Lacroix
Janelle Monáe in Ralph Lauren
Billie Eilish in Gucci
Daisy Edgar-Jones in Oscar de la Renta
Carey Mulligan in Schiaparelli
Thomas Doherty in Dior
Amber Valletta in vintage Loris Azzaro
Lizzo in Thom Browne
Kid Cudi in Kenzo
Kate Moss in Burberry
Julianne Moore in Tom Ford
Jessie Buckley in Schiaparelli
Evan Mock in Head of State
Cardi B in Versace
Anitta in Moschino
Laura Harrier in H&M x Victor Glemaud
Victor Glemaud in H&M x Victor Glemaud
Stormzy in Burberry
Jessica Chastain in Gucci
Ashton Sanders in Casablanca
Alton Mason in Prada
Janicza Bravo in Schiaparelli
Adwoa Aboah in Tory Burch
Kaia Gerber in Alexander McQueen
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II in Thom Browne
Emma Corrin in Miu Miu
Paloma Elsesser in Coach and a Galliano for Dior necklace
Glenn Close in Valentino
Christine Baranski in Thom Browne
Riz Ahmed in Louis Vuitton
Alicia Keys in Ralph Lauren
Chlöe Bailey in AREA
Maude Apatow in Miu Miu
Michaela Jaé Rodriguez in Moschino
Joan Smalls in Tom Ford
Olivia DeJonge in Prada
Emma Stone in Louis Vuitton
Quannah Chasinghorse in Prabal Gurung

Last edited:
Reactions: KoV
I loved Ashton Sanders' look except for the eyes! That destroyed it for me, I included him initially and then replaced him with David Harbor, who just looked handsomely, classically on theme, complete with top hat and cane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d1rtb4g
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->