Fashion Editors/Stylists as Celebs:The Focus on Their Personal Style & Not Their Work

the world of fashion remains one of the most curious of niche subcultures in this entire world. in no other industry would its adherents decry the publicity the game-changers in their field receive. intellectuals, athletes, artists, lawyers, doctors, politicians. the world worships at the altar of celebrity and public recognition not only stands as a great measuring stick of one's success, but one of the ways one can expand their work and grow their influence.

i would never have glanced at a vogue nippon without anna dello russo. and i wouldn't miss an issue of american vogue for fear of missing a grace coddington fantasy. and should a seat come open at another fashion tome, t magazine, for example, you better believe that the relative star quality of second-tier editors, sally singer, for example, may play a role in clinching that new job.

i have always been curious about what fashion editors and stylists wear...
and i still am...
i would really like to see what they are wearing when there isn't a camera pointing at them too...
like...market editors who run from appt to appt all day for work...
they cannot be sporting those sky high platforms in regular life that they all wear for shows...

THAT would be really intersting to see...imo...

and i would rather see what THEY are wearing than the MODELS or ACTRESSES that they dress...
so i am OK with it...

*even though it does get weird when someone isn't a very good stylist or barely has any experience, etc...
and they get so much attention and people who are SUPER talented don't get recognized because they choose to stay humble and in the shadows...

so- i like knowing what the most stylish people are wearing...
but i am not so interested in the 'attention-wh*re' behaviour of some folks...

imho
confidence is sexy...but humility is sexier...
B)

I thought this was quite interesting.

Anna Della Russo's Top 10 Front Row Rules,

" During the fashion week I have
my rules to follow and I'm going
to tell my top ten list for the
FRONT-ROW "

1) YOU MUST WEAR OUTFIT ONCE.

2) WEAR GOOD SHOES. DON'T
BOTHER WITH A BAG CAUSE WHEN
YOU PUT IT ON THE FLOOR IT COULD
BE ANYONE.

3) WEAR COAT AS A DRESS.
ONE-SHOT IS BETTER.

4) DON'T WEAR SUNGLASSES,
IF YOU NOT ARE VIP (VERY VERY
IMPORTANT PERSON).
IT'S IMPOLITE.

5) SOMEBODY WEARING
YOUR SAME OUTFIT?
WONDERFUL, YOU DID THE
RIGHT CHOISE!

6) FLASHY JEWELS PERSONALIZE
YOUR STYLE.

7) NOTHING SUCCEEDS LIKE EXCESS!

8) DON'T PEEK INTO THE CLIPBOARD
OF WHO IS SITTING NEXT.

9) DON'T SAY HELLO SHOWILY AND
WARMLY AT WHO IS IN FRONT OF YOU.

10) SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR THE SHOW
ON TWITTER AS MUCH YOU CAN.
And then her Top 10 "Quotes" on Style & Fashion,

1) If there is harmony between ITSELF
and his own BODY, a STYLE will born.

2) When you don't feel to dress
means that you are depressed.
You need a FASHION SHOWER.

3) If you like to be relaxed, you will
never get the LOOK.
Fashion is always UNCOMFORTABLE!

4) NO matter the size of your body!
FASHION to flatter every figure

5) Wear just NIGHT-CLOTHES
in daytime.
It is UNEXPECTED!

6) Color me! ACCESSORIZE me!
shock me!

7) FASHION is such stuff as
DREAMS are made on...

8) Fashion is a MUSE,
you must seduce her.

9) Shall we dance? take your MUSE
to dance, fashion loves music.

10) So between FASHION and STYLE?
Absolutely FASHION... is less
pretentious, is authentic.
FASHION is declaration of own freedom.
:lol:

annadellarusso.com via shrubrub @ fashin

Last edited by a moderator:
In some ways, I find the gravitation towards stylists by designers not that surprising. Designers now have additional platforms to get their views/looks/clothing out there. Not only literally as in the ad campaigns above, but with all the street style and fashion blogging designers now basically have a free way to get their work in front of their ideal, fashion loving audience. I mean, it's only going to be those who really enjoy/love fashion who read street style or fashion blogs and look at what these stylists/behind the lens people are wearing. Plus, by further developing the relationship they get their clothes into magazines more by fashioning the 'stylist as muse' which is exactly what we saw happen at Vogue Paris with brands like Balmain.

On the one hand, I like to see people be adventurous with the way they dress and see how runway pieces or vintage or whatever are worn in real life but the problem is when it blends into a kind of 'meta-stylist' style - i mean, everyone in this thread knows what the 'Vogue Paris' style is. Like softie, I would prefer to see what people really wear everyday, not just during show season.

this one is simple; their personal style is their work. those two focus cross paths too often to even both seperating them.

^ I'm not sure I agree completely - for me it would come down to probably an equally simple matter, recreation or inspiration.
There are people that look at stories with the purpose of finding inspiration and integrate the ideas and experiments of an editor into their own personal style, regardless of how similar or different their vision is in comparison to what they're looking at in those pages.
Then you have the people that need ready-to-go ideas, not necessarily for a special occasion but use fashion to recreate, maybe imitate and to be 'up to date'.

In that same way I see those divisions, I see stylists.. there are stylists whose personal style is part of the package or the package, they bring it on everything they touch and encourage people to recreate it perhaps hoping it expands and becomes a trend, which makes them accumulate more prestige I would guess.. it doesn't matter if they're on assignment or out on the street, the formula is unmodifiable.. they are what they sell and their image is their work.
I could think of a couple of editors that do this, that create little replicas of themselves whenever they stop posing and work, mainly Emanuelle Alt and Camille Bidault.. Alt wasn't always like this but I guess she realised it was a very productive outlet.

Camille | Camille's work.
camille1.jpgcamille2.jpg
[purple-diary/scan by MissMagAddict]

Emanuelle Alt
em1e.jpg

.. her work.
em2n.jpg

[rdujour/amorepace at wordpress/herfamedgoodlooks/style.com]

And then you have people that deliver balanced imagery, with clear influences of their own taste (I think it's impossible to detach yourself completely from your work), but focused on art and elements that create a narrative and allows you to find your own interpretation of the story.. it impacts the viewer almost with an assignment to externalise that inspiration through their own vocabulary.. and their personal image isn't really tied to their creations.

Joanne Blades

joanneblades.jpg

Her work..
blades.jpg

[models.com/scans by a.t.]

Robbie Spencer
robbiespencer.jpg

.. his work.
spenc1.jpgspenc2.jpgspenc3.jpg
[glamcanyon/dazeddigital/carlottamanaigo]

Of course these are extremes and both groups are in completely different stances to the point it's almost unfair to compare, it sort of reminds me of the why don't designers wear their own designs dilemma. What irritates me a little is that the first group, through their much emphasized celebrity and sporadic work, promote imitation in a field that should ideally (as in the second example) be more liberating and creative and encouraging of individuality precisely because, even if it's on Vogue, it's still on a page and completely about a subjective visual interpretation, it shouldn't command, it should invite..

Again, it's probably very naive of me to expect things to be too creative and for some to abstain from capitalising on a gold mine when 'The must-haves of the season' spreads are already an institution, I just hope that the images that awe you and provoke something through their uniqueness, storytelling and sometimes bravery to the point you want to rip off the page, hang on a wall and keep them there for years don't become a thing of the past eventually, as stylists find themselves in reduced rooms to showcase their creativity and are replaced completely by those that are more about what's in, what's out and other strict rules (see Della Russo above!), instead of showing how exciting it can be to step out of them and perpetuate all these incentives that prolong the inspiration and celebration of your own individuality.

yeah---
i see what you're getting at mullet...

but i think that if you spoke to ANY stylist...
and if they really were being honest--with you and with themselves---
they would all tell you that every picture that they style is a picture of themselves...
it is some aspect of their own personality...something that they love...
even if they are not physically in the picture...
it is still a picture of 'who they are'...

i do think you are right when you say that you cannot separate yourself from your work...
and in these circumstances...it's even harder...
you live, eat and breathe it every single day...

a lot of stylists will dress a certain way during a certain shoot...
ie- nautically inpsired while working on a nautical story...
it may be really conspicuous or it could just as well be very subtle...
but they all do it...
if you happen to know what they are working on at the moment and you look closely...
you can always see the influences...
it's one of the games i play with myself...
i look at them and try to guess what they are working on/thinking about...

^_^

and as far as anna dello russo goes...
she's not a stylist, right?...
she's like - creative director or fashion director or whatever...

:unsure:

she hires stylists and assigns photographers...etc...
but i don't think she styles anything...
except herself...

THANK GOD!!!...

:rofl:...

thanks JJ...interesting...
i wasn't aware of that...
she's not done anything in the issues of vogue nippon that i personally own or have seen...

interesting indeed...
they look just like her!...
:lol:...

yeah---

but i think that if you spoke to ANY stylist...
and if they really were being honest--with you and with themselves---
they would all tell you that every picture that they style is a picture of themselves...
it is some aspect of their own personality...something that they love...
even if they are not physically in the picture...
it is still a picture of 'who they are'...

i do think you are right when you say that you cannot separate yourself from your work...
and in these circumstances...it's even harder...
you live, eat and breathe it every single day...

Yeah, you would hope that someone could see the beauty in something that is different than themselves but I guess that has become an exceedingly rare quality...that is the problem with "the stylist celebrity"....if it's someone who dresses the way Isabella Blow did, that's an entirely different story, then it's passionate and interesting, not chosen because it flatters their particular figure. But a lot of the celeb stylists only seem to pick whatever flatters their figure and go with that. That is truly boring.

wait a minute ilj---
CELEB stylists have NOTHING to do with FASHION stylists and editors...

and the title of the thread specifies FASHION...

the stylist who dresses celebs is supposed to do exactly what you said...
basically, make the celeb look good..

the fashion stylist is doing magazine editorials which are a form of creative expression, etc...
and ---as everyone always says...
fashion is a fantastic form of personal expression...
so it only makes sense that the stylists would be expressing themselves...and their personal point of view...with their stories...
I think that a lot of times the stories are their only outlet though...
because if you look at stylists who work like crazy-
like grace coddington or tonne goodman...
they just wear basic tops and pants...
very practical stuff...
cause they are too busy thinking about work and the story they are doing to think about what to wear...

i think that's often the case actually...
not always...but often..

i mean..look at the French vogue group of editors...
they are always 'dressed'...
but they always look the same...
they have a sort of 'uniform'...
which makes sense and makes it easy to get dressed every day...
no thinking necessary...
just pull on a tight mini, leather jacket, sky high heels and GO...
^_^

wait a minute ilj---
CELEB stylists have NOTHING to do with FASHION stylists and editors...

and the title of the thread specifies FASHION...

the stylist who dresses celebs is supposed to do exactly what you said...
basically, make the celeb look good..

the fashion stylist is doing magazine editorials which are a form of creative expression, etc...
and ---as everyone always says...
fashion is a fantastic form of personal expression...
so it only makes sense that the stylists would be expressing themselves...and their personal point of view...with their stories...
I think that a lot of times the stories are their only outlet though...
because if you look at stylists who work like crazy-
like grace coddington or tonne goodman...
they just wear basic tops and pants...
very practical stuff...
cause they are too busy thinking about work and the story they are doing to think about what to wear...

^_^

I was thinking of the stylist who is a celebrity, not a stylist who styles celebrities. :wink:

Yes, fashion is a form of personal expression - and it is also a way to make yourself seem more interesting than you are by wearing clothes associated with remarkable people. A lot of the time all people can express is the will to be seen, the will to seem interesting....not the infatuation with the clothing/art.

But now I'm going off topic, really.

oooh..
but it's a good topic for the personal style section...!!!...
:P

I was once a stylist for a short time at a fashion magazine, and tbh, I hated dressing up then, as my mind was full of images of what I wanted to see in an ed, the storyboard, the narrative, the light, the mood, the models, the textures, getting smaller designers to custom make something you desperately want in the picture or DIY yourself,....there is SO MUCH. I just wore black jeans (I owned 10 pairs) and either a white or black t, with a jacket/blazer/coat plus flats all the time, zero jewelry except for ear studs, while the editorials were getting more and more elaborate. I cannot imagine how stylists can spend so much time on their own outfits when there are tons of things to do in preparation for the shoot and then the actual shoot itself as the mind is often saturated with both details and the overall picture that you must never lose. As a perfectionist, you obsess over every polaroid, frustrated that what you are getting isn't the "picture" in your head, wondering why and how it can get closer without offending the photographer, makeup artists, models, agitated by the time, etc.... You're just exhausted, mentally and physically. You just don't really care too much about your own style as your work is where you have channeled all your energy. You live on staples, the Japanese, the Belgiums, you streamline yourself even though you're given loads of "stuff", you try not to go to the PR parties, knowing that they're all super nice to you because it costs them $$$$$ to pay for ads and getting featured in an editorial is a bonus, etc., fashion shows are a pain except for the more interesting designers, there is so much cr*p out there, and you're sometimes forced to use them as you're pressured by the magazines' sales dept., etc...

I would say I'd personally only wear 10% of the clothing items I used in the eds, I can think up fantastical tableaux that suit the particular style/story/season but which I will personally NEVER wear. I can fully appreciate designers whose designs do not suit me, but are wonderful pieces of art in their own right, despite my own preferences. You've got to separate your personal style from your work, both come from your person, but from different places. You need to be passionate about your likes but also be able to be objective to a certain degree and project away from yourself to other peoples, situations or events around you.

I think the elaborately outfitted stylists who are photographed everywhere in expensive outfits aren't "real" stylists, but function more like PR for their magazines, like my senior editors. They were bitchy, did very little actual styling but lots of "business" meetings, vetoed my spreads since they were "in charge" even though they were unimaginative and cared little for the work, fortunately, I was left lone as long as the readers liked the eds. As a real job, it's really thankless and limiting after a while, even though I'd love to do it again as a one-off, missed the creative energy.

So, without getting too in-depth, because I know I'm not the one with personal experience in this department, some of this thinking seems a little backwards. True, there are a few stylists out there that pay more attention to their wardrobe than their editorials, but are we seriously devaluing personal style even inside the fashion industry of all places?

This is exactly how stylish women are treated in business and politics. Can't someone be both a hard worker and have their own sense of personal style, however flamboyant? I'm failing to see how we can't take people who step outside of the box seriously. In this case, the "box" is dressing as a standard issue creative-type. Is someone really a better worker because they put less creativity into their clothes? And if so, why even bother caring about clothes in the least if fashion itself is apparently just a distraction?

It has nothing to do with women and their style, it has more to do with the fact that these are "fashion" people. It is different when a person is in a powerful position in fashion and dressing up like a fashionista, you're doing a lot with what you wear, you're signaling something about the fashion you support, you're intimidating to others who are not your "style". You're supposed to be above "fashion", since you're suppose to know ALOT about fashion. It's better to be discreet, and not declare your position. This is of course my own preference and opinion, obviously, a lot of editors cultivate a very upfront style about themselves.

Something similar would be if you're a female judge and you are very open about certain aspects of laws and politics you support, when you should refrain from expressing an overt opinion. I mean, she can wear anything she wants, all pink 100% if that's what she likes, but she really shouldn't be someone with strong opinions about subjects that could arise in a case before her. To me, it is all profession specific.

I also find a lot of the flaunting distasteful, there is a fine line between a type of eccentricity, eg. Blow, and an attention-seeking fashion victim, you know those, right? I'm not going to name names!

Also, for me, the work of styling was extremely exhausting. It is perhaps like a chef who cooks elaborate meals and simply wants to sit down with an uncomplicated soup at the end of the day from the fatigue and sensory overload. She might be capable of Michellin stars meals, but may choose very simply for herself.

i don't necessarily mind when stylists put a bit of themselves in what they do because it's always what's about swimming round in your head but it's just when it becomes a bit too obvious or blatant it sort of takes away from the point of styling the first place. styling is quite often about narratives and much of the time takes quite a bit of imagination and experimentation so if you're only using yourself in your skinny jean blah,then where's the styling in that? that's boring to me.

I don't mind if an editor or a stylist wants to dress up. That's their choice. What bothers me is that people seem to have more interest in an editor's personal style than in their work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->