Fashion industry internships: exploitation or experience?

I live less than 25 minutes (by bus or train) from New York City and would LOVE to do a fashion-related internship. The problem is that most of these positions are unpaid and I simply cannot afford to "volunteer" 30-40 hours a week while paying transportation fares.

^ IMO if someone is really interested in fashion and is fortunate enough to live close to one of the fashion centers, then they should consider saving up the money for transportation, lunch and other expenses. I am very critical of the intern sponsors who use interns in an exploitative manner, but if someone can get with the right designer, publication, agency, et. al., it is definitely a valuable experience / worthwhile investment.

ETA:
This is not meant to be a swipe at you, because I know that there are a lot of factors and individual circumstances that have to be taken into consideration, but for those who really, really want to get into the industry, it may be a worthwhile "investment." Also, I don't think all internships are alike: an internship at one of the top design houses, magazines or agencies will look good on a resume; alternatively, doing meaningful work at a smaller company along with a reference from one of the top people is a plus as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fashion internships are an elitist concept. If you are someone who has to work part-time to sustain yourself, you really can't afford to do an internship.

Saying that, I've been lucky enough to get internships in two different designer showrooms in Paris and am now a full-time intern at a well-established London fashion office. I do the same work as my boss. I have a lot of responsibility, and sometimes I feel that I should be getting paid. BUT, at least I am not coffee making or floor sweeping, so it is challenging and I learn new things every day.

If you're performing demanding tasks for a commercial firm which leads to that company making a profit from your time and activity, then you should be getting some sort of remuneration for your efforts.

If an established company cannot economically survive unless it skimps on paying its employees a fair wage, that company has no business being in business.

I think it is grotesquely unfair. But it’s the fashion industry and they seem to think they’re a cut above the rest and can get away with this exploitation. Sadly there are enough willing fashion diehards that would just about cut off their right arm for the chance to get in with a big fashion house, so this will become a problem of perpetual proportions.

Their work does pay off...

if the fashion industry had to actually follow any of the employment laws and statutes...
everyone would go bankrupt in a matter of months...

the entire industry is one giant mess...
a company that cannot afford to pay staff should not be in business...
it WOULD NOT be in business if they weren't completely abusing people...

but people keep doing it...
and the more people are willing to work for free...
the worse it is for every single person in the industry...
because for every person working for 'experience'..
there is a qualified professional who is unemployed...
young people are naive enough to believe that the hard work will someday pay off...
but the unfortunate truth is that it rarely does...

it's a disaster really...

good article..
thanks for posting and bringing in the topic!...

I agree with your assessment that younger fresh faces with little to no experience and a willingness to work for the lowest amount possible or for free are usually preferred over qualified professionals. Of course, it is because companies want to save as much money as possible and capitalize on newcomers who require the experience. This is true outside of the fashion industry as well and it is a reality we have to accept.

I have volunteered at several fashion shows and although a lot of the work involved picking up scraps and bringing coffee, there were situations in which I was asked to help with make-up and even interact with the designers themselves. It not only enriched my experience but was good for networking.

i've been on the two sides of the coin (good and bad internships) and, after deep thinking, honestly, it's not worthy to suffer doing something you don't like only to write a line on your CV, (a COOL line of course)...

Personally, I almost regret having made some decisions, choosing to apply to certain internships... for a while it was way to stressful and had to leave and reconsider my options and choices before getting back on track...

but the truth is that I had some money saved and could make it... many, the majority, can't.

The only good things I have heard, internship wise, are those who are lucky enough to intern for Bergdorf's and Chanel HQ on 57th street. We have a TON of connections w/ them @ my school, thankfully. I have heard okay things about Elle/Vogue/InStyle.

What's going to be tough for me is the fact that I will have role reversal syndrome when I go to intern. @ 21, I can actually say I have a high power job. I do almost all the buying for an extremely high end store (Theory, Boss, Pierre by Balmain, C'N'C and as of most recent Karl Lagerfeld's diffusion line) and I also run the store and all the stores merchandising.

The other problem is that I am a "creative consultant" for one of the most prestigious East Coast Uni's...they basically own the entire city and all the vacant properties. I basically tell them what stores to contract with and then I design vacant store fronts.

I have a lot of power and make a lot of $$$ (and I am in no way tooting my horn, I don't need to) so it's fair to say I am freaked out about interning. I prob. will do it w/ with BG or Dior on 57th...I kind of a shoe-in there thanks to my Mom! lol

I have friends who interned for high-end department stores in Zürich, Berlin, Amsterdam. Particually in purchasing departments.... But really no one made less than $800 (600€) a month. Also all people I know who interned for model agencies around here were not really low-paid except one person (who got employed by the company a few months later, though). I think it's a question of supply and demand. I mean you have thousands upon thousands of art/fashion design graduates leaving their universities each year and they all apply for a dozen of "prestige" jobs.... There's a huge excess supply on the fashion design/journalism and art labour market and thus the "demand oligopolies" (McQueen etc) can play however they want and hire interns without payment who do nothing but cleaning coffee machines in the end. But all these fashion design/journalism and art students shouldn't complain (at least not about unpaid, endless internships). Every fith grader knows that fashion design/journalism and art study paths are not very lucrative and most employers in that industry field are close to bankruptcy, anyways.

Internships with Chanel and Bergdorf...

The only good things I have heard, internship wise, are those who are lucky enough to intern for Bergdorf's and Chanel HQ on 57th street. We have a TON of connections w/ them @ my school, thankfully. I have heard okay things about Elle/Vogue/InStyle.

What's going to be tough for me is the fact that I will have role reversal syndrome when I go to intern. @ 21, I can actually say I have a high power job. I do almost all the buying for an extremely high end store (Theory, Boss, Pierre by Balmain, C'N'C and as of most recent Karl Lagerfeld's diffusion line) and I also run the store and all the stores merchandising.

The other problem is that I am a "creative consultant" for one of the most prestigious East Coast Uni's...they basically own the entire city and all the vacant properties. I basically tell them what stores to contract with and then I design vacant store fronts.

I have a lot of power and make a lot of $$$ (and I am in no way tooting my horn, I don't need to) so it's fair to say I am freaked out about interning. I prob. will do it w/ with BG or Dior on 57th...I kind of a shoe-in there thanks to my Mom! lol

I envy you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->