What makes a good intern?

The difference between an intern and the [powers-at-be] who holds that blackberry is that the latter brings in the actual business make money for that said business, whereas, the intern does not. you are there to assist or be dismissed. Till you bring in business monetarily and getting a paycheck from your future employer, then and till then will your opinions be voiced and/or counted.

Looking back at my internship at Vogue, I kind of wish I was less humble and a bit more bold. Could have made much more strong contacts! Yes - contacts are very important.

I've hired potential and very intelligent interns but like any freshmen they must start at the bottom (copying, run for coffee, answer phone, filing and the like). If they show excellent work ethics, they will be asked to intern next semester and thereafter with challenging tasks. If not, don't expect a call back. this is the same for most of companies big or small.

What I noticed from interns and even here, they all want to start up right away. School is one thing, you can out smart your professors with your debates, theories, arguments and no-nonesense it is well received. When it comes to the real world, the work force is another whole planet and what you are in school, the King or Queen bee of debates and theories even intelligence, you are just the tiny bug in a world full of snakes.

Another thing I noticed from interns and even here, they expect to be employed at a company they intern and loved to be. Some giving 110% of themselves. But the thing is , some but not all may not hire you due to their own reasonings not because you're not smart enough or talented enough.
  1. The company may not have an opening for your skill
  2. or the company just don't have any openings at the present time.
  3. There are more qualified resumes
There are so many reasons and most are valid. The important thing interns must realized that companies will give you an excellent review, recommendation and they're important as references when you seek employment elsewhere. don't have a mindset just because you're interning at Vogue for instance, you have a shot at getting employed with them when you graduate. There are hundreds of resumes that come in every year to the most desired companies to work for, therefore , the competition is far greater and far harder. So just because you think you have more potential , skill, credential , GPA 3.5 or even a 4.0 you think you deserved to be hired, think again. Just like in any field , especially the cool fields to get into, there will be 20 people applying for 1 to 2 positions available.

Interns must have their options open. Their biggest mistake is they don't.

If only potential interns could take all their energy and intelligence and use it to figure out a way to get around having to perform as slave labour with a willing smile etched on their faces... to move beyond having to be grateful for the chance to be a tiny cog in an industry running on the backs of people desperate to break in, leading them to accept the line that lengthy internships are an essential and 'smart' career move, despite the costs of perpetuating the practice, on so many levels.

In short, if only people could be paid something for working a fairly long time for a firm. Getting a wage in return for work... it's a revolutionary notion, I know. Short internships that give people an idea of what's expected when they become a paid employee, that's reasonable, but to expect hours of dedication in return for nothing...

Because of the way the industry is set up, long internships might seem necessary, but in essence, it's ridiculous. But anyone in the position to change things won't bother, because they're the ones who benefit. No point in upsetting the balance of things. And most people going through the process don't really want to look too hard at the idea of being exploited. Naturally, they'd rather assess it in terms of being valuable. So you end up in a situation of acceptance where "it's the way it is" and everyone finds reasons for why it can't be any other way.

Im Interning at a Design House that rhymes with 'Falic-Mander HookDean' (sneaky) and its amazing. So interesting and im actually working on decent things. Yeah some jobs are tough and I work on average 14 hours a day, but its worth it when you get some feedback and have your opinion heard. My boss is firm but still really nice and its just really amazing to see the behind the scenes.

Plus, being 19 and having an internship at one of the biggest Fashion companies in the world is exiting!
ONWARD.

I've interned at a couple of places and the most important advice I can give is to do everything with a smile on your face. I have seen so many interns grumble and moan about doing coffee runs and making copies. Yeah, it may be like unpaid slave labor, but thats the business. People who want to be in the fashion industry have to realize that its not all glamorous and fun.

When I first started in the PR world, I was so excited to go to a fashion event my agency was hosting...until I found out I had to stand outside in the freezing cold checking very rude people in.

Always wear a smile on your face and do whatever they want and be patience , everything takes time and just be positive . The real fashion is not about glamor. Remember you are learning there, it's ok to make mistakes but reminds yourself dont make the same mistakes second time and take your work seriously. Maybe your work is making copies or as a slave, but that's real world and show them you are able to handle more and step up to the next level.

It's been posted and I'm guilty of one, that interns have been given mundane tasks ..amongst other things....-_-

with that said, there's a reason for our madness [for those who have had interns working with us.... ]

What makes a good intern:
  1. patience
  2. positive attitude
  3. NO ATTITUDE
  4. punctual
  5. neatness
  6. attentive
  7. no complaining whatsover, unless you smell or see smoke coming from vents or something of that nature.
  8. DO NOT HAVE AN OPINION, unless you were asked.
  9. DO NOT MULTITASK [texting on your smartphones, chatting up a storm on your smartphones or company phones, private emailing, FACEBOOKING, tweeting... you git my drift]... unless your work calls for multitasking in regards to WORK-RELATED assignments by your superior.
  10. do not take upon yourself to do as you please
  11. show interests whether if its the company or dept you are appointed for.

This is a good list of what an intern has to be. But I do have to say that sometimes an employer does want to hear your opinion, even when it isn't asked. I've worked at two magazines and they always encouraged us to speak up. Otherwise you'll get mindless interns who are to scared to say what's on their mind.

It's also important to get the most out of your internship. The best way to do that is to not give attitude when you are asked to do something and start making contacts! It's amazing how many important people you'll get to meet during your internship. Just be yourself and don't kiss ***. People see right through that.

This is a good list of what an intern has to be. But I do have to say that sometimes an employer does want to hear your opinion, even when it isn't asked. I've worked at two magazines and they always encouraged us to speak up. Otherwise you'll get mindless interns who are to scared to say what's on their mind.
this goes back to what i noted:
DO NOT HAVE AN OPINION, unless you were asked.
An employer will address such at an interview and/or when you're ready to work that you may give an opinion when need be. otherwise, when you don't hear such an encouragement other than the tasks given, then don't take it upon yourselves to put in your two-cents - Do not have an opinion. For example:
  • if your tasks requires you to make copies, coffee run, answer phones etc. your opinions are not needed and therefore, should never be heard.
  • if you saw a project/proposals that has nothing to do with your tasks at hand, you should never give an opinion.
  • asking questions does not mean having an opinion. the latter is frown upon unless it was expected.
In regards to having an opinion, I'm sure you were addressed such from your employer during an interview/when you were ready to intern.

Great thread and great comments! In the fall, I will be attending college in New York, and I will definitely want to intern as much as possible.

I am one of those people who do not mind doing tasks such as getting coffee, copying files, etc. because it allows me to be one step closer to my dreams - plus, I can get an insight in the industry, which is really valuable, and I find it kinda fun. I agree with many posters above that an enthusiastic work ethic and persona is definitely needed. Also, Squizree brought up a really good point - never hesitate to ask for more work - this shows your employer that you are truly determined and focused, and it separates you from the many other interns who are fighting for the same opportunity.

Being from a really small town, I have not been able to attain experiences and internships like other interns. So my question is: how do you go about landing an internship without no prior experiences? I mean, internships are supposed to give you experience, but how do you attain them if your resume is blank?

As a intern you have to be eager, helpful all the time, and don't think you are going to concure the world aka be humble. Most of the times it is likely you have to get coffee, pack up products or press shirts. Even if these tasks are boring, do it with a smile. Often it will lead to trust - and maybe a full-time job? I interned at a costume designer's studio, and since I was so helpful all the time, I got to design some skirts which became the main costumes to two famous dancers back in Norway.

It does what it's told!
-Creepy guy from Silence of the Lambs

I just had to quote that, but it is really the sum of it. I don't work in fashion, but I had to do an internship for my engineering degree. I was never late, never played around, never left early for breaks/lunch/home, was polite and I did exactly what I was told as best I could and had everything done on time or early. I only voiced my opinion when it was asked. I never said no to whatever they needed done; whether it was go out and assist on a work order or clean up vomit(I was the puke fairy!). I got hired right when I finished my degree, and my internship was extended the 4 months until that happened. We had numerous other interns that thought they were better than me; I was the only one extended and the only one hired.

It all boils down to being polite, following the rules and doing a good job at everything you are told and expected to do. Then you need luck and timing to get a job out of it. I always figured the worst case is that I "did myself proud" and would get a good reference out of the internship.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I've learned recently from my current internship is to be aware of what other people are doing. Don't be nosey but if you are doing a project with other people keep an eye on how they are going about it because it's a group effort to get the work done.

For example, I along with the other intern, were give a stack of newsletters which needed to be enveloped, addresses stuck on the front, and stamped too. However while I was busy doing my work enveloping the newsletter the girl who I was handing my work too was putting the addresses where the stamps needed to go. If I had payed attention to what she was doing it would have saved us a lot of time and we wouldn't have had to correct the mistake. That being said, my boss saw that it was mainly the other interns error not mine. But at the same time I felt like I could have payed more attention instead of just focusing on myself. So owning up to when you do something wrong is also key. It shows that you made a mistake but are willing to correct the problem and be honest about it. And honesty goes a long way! :smile:

Of course it's important to have a good image. I mean to dress well, but I think that what really makes a good intern is the hard work. You have to be flexible, open-minded, hardworking and do your best! It's not worth worrying about who looks the cutest.

fashiontetc.com
British Government Warns Fashion Houses to Not Exploit Interns

By Erin Donnelly 12/08/11 at 04:25 PM

20111208_devil_wears_prada_600w.jpg

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Photo: © 20th Century Fox/Everett Collection
[/FONT]
"A million girls would kill for this job." Anne Hathaway as a fashion assistant in The Devil Wears Prada.

Good news, fashion interns. The British government wants to protect you from any Devil Wears Prada moments.
The HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, akin to the IRS) has issued a letter to 102 London Fashion Week participants to caution them against taking advantage of their hard-working interns, Vogue U.K. reports.

While it remains to be seen whether or not the agency can do anything about your daily skinny latte runs, long hours, or phone calls to book your boss' monthly colonic, it is fighting to ensure that interns are paid for their work.
"These letters give fashion houses plenty of warning that they are under scrutiny," Michelle Wyer, HMRC assistant director for National Minimum Wage, tells the British magazine.
"If they are not playing by the rules, now is the time to put things right. Non-payment of the national minimum wage is not an option. Our message is clear: don't wait for us to come knocking on your door; put things right now and avoid a penalty and possible prosecution."
Through compliance checks, the HMRC will be able to issue financial penalties to any labels caught using unpaid interns. The interns will then be given a notice of underpayment which will entitle them to back payment from their first day of work. Nice!
The measure has also received the backing of Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.
"I strongly urge fashion houses and designer labels to make sure they are treating interns fairly," Clegg tells Vogue U.K.
"Where an individual is entitled to the minimum wage they should receive it. Internships provide valuable opportunities in opening up doors for the future and they should be available to everyone, not just those who can afford to work for nothing."
Bravo! Now, can we get the CFDA on this?

fashiontetc.com

I think this is great for those interns that come with some form of skill set however, many (most) do not.

I have had many interns over the past few years gaining experience in my couture studio. None of them would have been able to find a job if you had to pay them though because they were all inexperienced, lacked necessary skills and all of them made A LOT of mistakes that ultimately the company had to pay for.

All but 2 of my interns have gone on to work for other fashion houses largely due to the reference that they gained from interning, one of them has started his own label and just recently I have employed one girl who interned with me for over a year. She is now assistant designer to me.

I think that unpaid interning and/or work experience is necessary in this industry but exploitation is not. I guess you just have to do your research and make sure that you are going to get as much out of it as the company does. :smile:

I am majoring in graphic design right now and from talking to other professionals in the field, I have always been told that spec work and unpaid internships are a big no-no since you essentially are creating work that most of the other employees are paid to do, etc.

However, I've always wondered if that same would apply to fashion. I studied fashion before studying graphic design and most of the unpaid internships in fashion that I noticed weren't really construction or design internships, rather they were for fashion houses, magazines, etc that made you do other 'busy work'. I had a friend this summer who interned for a technical design internship and was paid pretty well, but all others I know who have worked for magazines or other houses all worked for free or got paid next to nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nymphfable
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->