French Style!

Btw, we have a French vs Italian thread around here somewhere. When I thought about what I actually own, I had to admit Team Italy was winning. They certainly know how to make a statement piece ^_^ But there's also understatement coming out of Italy ... Bottega comes to mind.

Btw, we have a French vs Italian thread around here somewhere. But there's also understatement coming out of Italy ... Bottega comes to mind.

Or Stefano Pilati:heart: Or Armani. So many, in fact.

French style has a 'gamine' quality, and I think that's the real difference between French and Italian style. The F vs. I thread focused on haste designer associations with each country, whereas this thread also taps into culture and values. Italian style is not defined by Versace! Nothing against these two brands, but it's like saying Gaultier=French style. Both very misleading.

^ I agree, I think that thread would be better if it weren't so quick to judge. I feel that French style is deliberately unstudied, while Italian style seems to put it out there & not try to hide as much the effort that went into the look ...

^That too. It's what I meant about the championed form of elegance at the moment (at least on tFS:( the appearance of being effortlessly well-dressed and groomed. And the French undoubtedly have a stronghold on that.

^ I just harness the natural forces that tend toward imperfection myself :wink:

That is one thing I really dislike about the look of some American women ... that tendency toward brittleness. And as I think about it, I don't remember ever seeing a French woman look brittle. And that is truly a good thing.

Can you clarify what you mean by brittleness? I'm just wondering if it's the same thing I notice about American women, just different words.

I notice that some North American women (I'm Canadian) tend to go for that 'perfect' look. Perfectly curled hair, but not too curly because than it gets unruly. Every hair in place. French manicured nails. Makeup slightly overdone.

I like that French women don't look like they spent the entire day before stressing about what they're going to wear, how their hair is going to look, and what makeup they will be wearing, although they may have.

And I'll take pictures of the Flare article tomorrow!

^ Ah, the brittle woman ...

Usually she is a woman of a certain age, and she is definitely going for the perfect look. There may be some logos thrown in there ... Chanel ballet flats perhaps. She looks like osteoporosis is about to set in, or like if you touched her she might crumble. There is no doubt in my mind that she needs an entire truckload of therapy (others might propose other more immediate solutions :innocent:). Her smile is tight, her hair is tight, her neck is tight. Her posture is likely ramrod straight. Her clothes are 'correct.' Hermes could be involved. She is probably wearing some white--perhaps a white shirt. It is in perfect condition.

Her face may look relatively natural (for someone who looks like she might be a wax figure), or she may have that strangely smooth, sad, very distinctive "I've really overdone the plastic surgery and other interventions at this point" look.

Is this what you're thinking of?

Yes, that's very close to what I was thinking of! In my city, I don't see women like that too often, unless I go to downtown Toronto.

^ It is not so unusual where I am :ninja:

If you look at someone like Catherine Deneuve, who is considered to have 'overdone' by French standards, she is careful to ensure her face doesn't become gaunt, and she does not look brittle. Jane Birkin (who I believe has been adopted) is very slender, but looks tough and hangs loose ... not brittle. Like I said, can't think of one.

If we're talking about celebs who freeze the aging process and nitpick at every flaw, the only French actress who comes to mind is Emmanuelle Beart. Such a beautiful woman, but lately the cosmetic procedures on her are too obvious. Brittleness is close to fragility, just the sense that a person has a look so immaculate, that the slightest crack would crush them. I hate to say this because I'm a fan, but it's how I think Nicole Kidman has become. (And she's Australian, totally irrelevant, huh?)

But brittleness is also about other qualities, regardless of age or expensive labels. To me, the opposite of it is making peace with the mobility of the face and body, which is easiest to explain with regard to makeup. When French girls get dolled up, they don't let it obscure their face, even if they use very intense colors. Like it doesn't seem they spent ages on lipliner to 'correct' their lips. If they get a little shiny during the day, you won't see it blotted and powdered back to perfection.

But...brittleness can also pertain to a kind of coldness and snobbery, which often comes across in how a person is dressed and groomed. Look, the French definitely have their moments with that kind of brittleness, I would argue a lot more than Americans. But I suppose that brittleness applies almost everywhere, except in some cultures where it's taboo to be haughty.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at someone like Catherine Deneuve, who is considered to have 'overdone' by French standards, she is careful to ensure her face doesn't become gaunt, and she does not look brittle. Jane Birkin (who I believe has been adopted) is very slender, but looks tough and hangs loose ... not brittle. Like I said, can't think of one.

Supposedly Catherine Deneuve once remarked that "When you get older, you have to be ready to trade your *** for your face". Often older women with a healthy plumpness to their cheeks appear younger than they are. (Ina Garten---the Barefoot Contessa---is 61. I just can't get over that.) In a way, it's just the exchange of one vanity for another, and something that French women seem to get and American women don't. I think the brittleness you guys are referencing comes from focusing too much upon the details than on the proverbial sum of all the parts. It's a nice balance and a "be the best version of yourself" attitude that the French have behind them, whereas "brittality", to coin a term, is the product of the assumption that some wardrobe additions or physical modifications automatically make a person look better (think designer handbags that overwhelm their owners in flashiness or fatter lips that look odd in a thin face).

But brittleness is also about other qualities, regardless of age or expensive labels. To me, the opposite of it is making peace with the mobility of the face and body, which is easiest to explain with regard to makeup. When French girls get dolled up, they don't let it obscure their face, even if they use very intense colors. Like it doesn't seem they spent ages on lipliner to 'correct' their lips. If they get a little shiny during the day, you won't see it blotted and powdered back to perfection.

I once read an interview with Anna Mouglalis in which she mentions that she refuses to have a pockmark on her forehead "fixed" because it's part of who she is. And THAT is why she always looks so good. The bigger picture stuff. I think that's what you're talking about here, and I totally agree.

img023.jpg

Scanned by me, from glamour magazine.

To me, Paris Vogue girls are definition of french style, especially Carine :flower: When I see pics of them, I think that it's not about the clothes, but the way you wear them. It might sound a bit cliché, but I think it's true. You can't have a "french style" if you wear tons of make up & have hair like from Victoria's Secret fashion show. The attitude and self-confident are very important too.

It's also all about pairing right pieces together, and if you buy right clothes, you won't have a problem with that. I imagine Carine choosing an outfit: she probably has tons of pencil skirts, plain tops, well-fitted jackets & furs, so she can wear anything and it still will match with the other piece. She only adds a pair of killer shoes, designer bag and voilá!

So I decided to shop more wisely. I have been just buying everything that I like so far, not thinking much about it - in result I have a wardrobe full of unmatching things and I don't know what to do with half of them. I think the key is to know what you need and buy wisely; it's the half of success.

PS Sorry for my English, but I'm very tired and constructing sentences is hard for me at the moment :unsure: I hope that everything in my post is clear :D

Your english was fine! I am the same I have so many lovely things that go with nothing else. I have started writing a list of things I can get that will make my wardrobe work better, you know things that go with anything, classic pieces etc.

Maybe it is hard to judge ourselves but I feel like what people think of the "french style" is a stereotype, a good stereotype that is.

I don't see Audrey Tautou's or Mélanie Laurent's (I wish though :lol:) everywhere in the streets !

Girls in Paris mostly dress the SAME, it's kind of fading but EVERYONE used to wear Gérard Darel bags for instance. Typicals parisian girls usualy care about trends what's trendy what's cool. I live in the 16th district (16 arrondissement for those who know where it is) it is well known for being a posh place in Paris but somehow more conservative as opposed to the "rive gauche" (7th district) and seriously all the girls dress THE SAME they aren't inspiring, not at all!!!
Plus they all look somehow 'bitchy' I don't know how to explain it though.

Not all the girls are like that of course. But it is my vision of the parisian street style in general.

I think you guys see the best of the french style, of course if we look at french actresses they have a very different style compared to the american but what I mean is that the french style that people describe isn't what we can see in the streets everyday. definitely not.

And as someone mentionned here american women like the "perfect" look but I think it is opposed to the european style not to the french style.

Plus, I think we should talk about a "parisian style" and not a "french style" but that might be just my opinion ^_^

Oh, I have no doubt that we are dealing in stereotypes, perceptions of French style, rather than the actual "truth". For example, I don't agree that Vogue Paris and Carine Roitfeld exemplify French style at all. However, they are two foremost ambassadors of French style, so they do belong on this thread. Honestly, there is so much international hype about French style at the moment, that I think it's worth it to at least try to pinpoint various aspects of French style and understand its appeal. It will definitely be generalized, but I think we can find some common elements. Or am I completely off-base? As it's particularly great to get inside perspectives from actual French people:smile: A very valid point was that we focus too much on Parisian trends. How do you define French style?

As for European style, I don't believe we can speak of a cohesive European style at all. Again, I know it's about stereotyping, but in this case, it would be too stereotypical, kwim? There are simply too many cultural differences within Europe, even regional differences within the same country!

Plus they all look somehow 'bitchy' I don't know how to explain it though.

Brittle, perhaps? :flower:

^I agree with most of what you've got written up there. I think a little disenchantment now and then is healthy (and called for) on this thread.

The distinction between Parisian style and French style is one I've heard referenced before, and one that makes sense. You really have to represent urban style differently from the rest of the country or you exclude a great many people. The style we usually discuss here ends up being more a mix of the stereotype and the myth of French style, both of which can be inspiring in their own rites.

To me, Paris Vogue girls are definition of french style, especially Carine :flower: When I see pics of them, I think that it's not about the clothes, but the way you wear them. It might sound a bit cliché, but I think it's true. You can't have a "french style" if you wear tons of make up & have hair like from Victoria's Secret fashion show. The attitude and self-confident are very important too.

It's also all about pairing right pieces together, and if you buy right clothes, you won't have a problem with that. I imagine Carine choosing an outfit: she probably has tons of pencil skirts, plain tops, well-fitted jackets & furs, so she can wear anything and it still will match with the other piece. She only adds a pair of killer shoes, designer bag and voilá!

So I decided to shop more wisely. I have been just buying everything that I like so far, not thinking much about it - in result I have a wardrobe full of unmatching things and I don't know what to do with half of them. I think the key is to know what you need and buy wisely; it's the half of success.

PS Sorry for my English, but I'm very tired and constructing sentences is hard for me at the moment :unsure: I hope that everything in my post is clear :D

Very well said, er...written. :flower:
And I agree with everything written on this page as well, esp. Gasoline Rainbow's and Virginielle's "takes". I know this isn't the place to expound but the same analogy can also be drawn about the perception of American "brittleness". Pics or otherwise I see just as many sloppily dressed or (no offense please anyone tho I doubt it applies here on tfs :doh:) what we'd consider 'midwestern style' as I do American plastic/brittle/etc.

But I think these discussions are cool b/c it lessens my ignorance-being an American who has only traveled to Europe (& France in there) a handful of times, as my main frame of reference is the pictures posted. :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->