From Senior Thesis To Saks (nonstop)

orlem

Reaction score
Article and pictures are from the Daily:

From Senior Thesis to Saks (Nonstop)
Straight out of Parsons, Ashleigh Verrier's line debuts at Saks

NEW YORK - Wednesday, August 04, 2004

It’s barely been two months since she graduated from Parsons School of Design, but Ashleigh Verrier is already on her way to becoming a household name. The West Coast native has pulled off a major coup in the fashion industry: having her debut collection picked up by a fashion powerhouse—namely, Saks Fifth Avenue.

Colleen Sherin, the fashion market director for Saks Fifth Avenue, first met the budding 22-year-old fashion designer when she was asked to be a panelist judge at the Parsons’ 2004 senior class creations. Their paths crossed again at the benefit fashion show this past May, where Verrier (and Natalia Allen) tied for the designer of the year award. Impressed by Verrier’s talent, Sherin invited her to meet several key members of Saks Fifth Avenue’s fashion team, including Joe Boitano, senior vice president, general merchandise manager, Dana Kress, vice president, divisional merchandise manager, and Peter Herink, buyer, advance designer collections.

Soon thereafter, Saks decided to purchase eight of the nine looks from Verrier’s first collection—ordering approximately 40 - 50 pieces in total. “Saks’ support was incredible,” the former Proenza Schouler intern commented. “I was looking to have a store carry my senior thesis collection. I met with a few different stores besides Saks, but they [Saks] were there all along. They were very generous with their time and very encouraging. And also, I feel like I have this allegiance with them. They’re great at supporting new talent. I couldn’t say that with other department stores.” In fact, Sherin indicated that Verrier’s collection was the first of its kind from a fashion school student so soon after graduation. “For the first time ever, Saks has gone out and bought a student’s collection fresh from graduation,” she said. “Ashleigh [Verrier] is an indication of future placements at Saks. It’s an avenue for many other things to come.”

Verrier’s fall collection includes key pieces such as a bouclé tweed jacket and skirt, charmeuse blouse with netting detail, and a vintage oversized burgundy velvet coat. “What I loved was her use of texture and color, like the netting mixed with organza and beading,” Sherin said. “The cashmeres, silk charmeuse, and leathers were great too. She had pieces you wanted to wear right off the runway, which is rare. It was a tight capsule collection, but overall, it was all there. My favorite was definitely the pleated panel skirt with netting and metallic lace. We are certain that every piece will sell.” Price points for the collection range from $200 for a camisole to $3,500 for a cashmere jacket with satin crepe lining.

The collection, which shipped to the Fifth Avenue flagship this week, will be housed on the third floor with notables Gucci, Marc Jacobs, Stella McCartney, Oscar de la Renta, Behnaz Sarafpour, Narciso Rodriguez, and Alexander McQueen. “This is the ultimate test; putting the clothes out there. I hope they sell,” Verrier said. The collection will be an exclusive with Saks for fall, with a possibility of another exclusive for spring/summer 2005, Sherin added.

“I have shown them my spring/summer 2005 sketches. Here’s hoping for the best,” Verrier said.

Here are links to the pictures -- if someone can tell me how to get them to show up on this page I will do it.
http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/content/ar...8.04.04PARSONS_ 154.jpg
http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/content/ar...8.04.04PARSONS_ 157.jpg
http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/content/ar...8.04.04PARSONS_ 164.jpg
http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/content/ar...8.04.04PARSONS_ 168.jpg

Okay here are the pictures, I'm sorry the first links did not work:
gy.jpg

untitled115.jpg

dfh1.jpg

yr.jpg

I can't see the picture links, is it just my computer?

Thanks for the article, that is really interesting. Good for her!!

Those clothes don't look like anything special to me, but good for her.

Originally posted by nycgirl84@Aug 4 2004, 07:47 PM
Those clothes don't look like anything special to me, but good for her.
[snapback]321750[/snapback]​

I agree.

Looks like Saks' game plan for reinvention is to scoop up young designers fresh out of school and claim them as their own discoveries. But I think they jumped the gun with this one. There are so many more deserving talents out there. What exactly does this Verrier girl bring to the table? I'm sure she'll find her niche but an outpour of support like this should only be reserved for very special circumstances, IMO.

I agree with many of the above statements. I personally think a lot of European and Asian schools blow Parsons out of the water, espcially if this is the best the school has to offer.

This is no where close to when John Galliano had his senior collection bought by Browns.

maybe i would have to take a detailed look but i agree that there isn't anything exciting about her collection. nonetheless, i am excited for her! :clap:

Agree, nothing special at all. First and last are decent, second one appears to be an 80s schizophrenic coke fiend's dream gone wrong (doesn't help that the model looks like a dude with a wig). Did she ever get lucky though, it can take 5 years or more of successfull sales before a name like that picks you up.

They look like nice enough clothes but nothing that makes me say "Oh my! Where can I find that?"

They look more like filler pieces than a collection.

However I will at least give her that the black dress is nice, although very basic. But congratulations to her.

I saw the Parsons final show and to be honest, the clothes lack freshness, they seem very Proenza S. which isn't surprising considering she interned for them all throughout her senior year supposedly. N. Allen, the girl she tied with, actually displayed a lot more originality and finish but she relied a lot more on technology and 'techno' fabrics. I could eventually see her work helping Olympic ahtletes to be able to move through the water faster, it was more in that slant.

It's always good to see a graduate, especially a female student, do so well after graduation but when it lacks a real solid statement and personality, you can't help but wonder if it's going to get lost in the crowd, no matter how seventh avenue and how Vogue magazine it all is. I'm hoping she gets a little more aggressive.

I don't like it at all. It looks a tad cheap and tacky :(

this is an interesting issue. After reading the article I had high expectations...and when I first looked at the photos my first thought was...I dont get it...I must be missing something because these pieces arent really what all the support and talk builds you up for.

These are not ugly clothes. These are not special clothes. They are nice clothes.

I think one thing to bear in mind is, I have seen some stunning work around the parsons buildings...and what I do know is that the internal selection process to even get promotion like this does have a certain filter, or bias. Not all of the interesting work Ive seen by parsons students even gets pushed into the limelight. So I suppose they are promoting students' work that they think will actually be appreciated by stores like Saks...In this case their prediction worked!

I think that you guys are not giving much credit to this talented idividual....she obviously is breaking it down, considering that she is hanging in Saks on Fifth Ave, next to Marc Jacobs and Stella McCartney right out of school. I really like her clothes...I feel they have a whimisical quality with a sophisticated edge. I would love to wear every single one of them, anyday. I really hope that we see more from her....I have to admit that I am tired of male designers being promoted and never female ones.....I have confidence that she will prevail...hey if she has made it this far this quickly, it seems everything is going in the right direction...Good Luck to you Ms. Verrier! Keep up the great work :P !!!!!

man things like this make me want to go to parsons in a second.

hey you know i live like 30mins south of you...seraphelle

eh it's alright.

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Aug 4 2004, 04:46 PM
Looks like Saks' game plan for reinvention is to scoop up young designers fresh out of school and claim them as their own discoveries. But I think they jumped the gun with this one. There are so many more deserving talents out there. What exactly does this Verrier girl bring to the table? I'm sure she'll find her niche but an outpour of support like this should only be reserved for very special circumstances, IMO.
[snapback]321785[/snapback]​

Absolutely :clap:

Even I think I could do much better than that :shifty:

I am so tired of everybody being so negative on this site....honestly guys..why so judgemental????.....I detect bitterness/jealousy......take a moment for what she has accoplished.. Here is a photo of one of her looks on the cover of WWD titled, "THE GRADUATE"...now that is a credible publication that warrants some attention. [attachmentid=24393] I still maintain that this girl is headed for success.....you go girl!

Attachments

• wwdcover.jpg
    wwdcover.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tiwi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"