Gael García Bernal

Originally posted by Puccipatterned@Oct 22 2004, 01:02 PM
Yes, the film you're talking about is La mala educación, of Almodóvar. I didn't liked this film (I usually hate almodóvar but I saw it because Gael was in it), and I didn't like Gael as a woman, very strange!
[snapback]404433[/snapback]​
I think Gael was great but the film per se was kind of pretentious, the whole situations, the twists, the blowjobs.. some things would've looked more interesting if they hadn't been exposed in such morbid way.. my opinion at least ^_^

Originally posted by MulletProof@Oct 22 2004, 09:09 PM
I think Gael was great but the film per se was kind of pretentious, the whole situations, the twists, the blowjobs.. some things would've looked more interesting if they hadn't been exposed in such morbid way.. my opinion at least ^_^
[snapback]404442[/snapback]​

I completely agree with you. I think Almodovar is pretentious and more after winning the oscar. But gael's interpretation is Ok.

Originally posted by MulletProof@Oct 22 2004, 01:09 PM

I couldn't follow this film all that well.. [Maybe I get distracted easily?]
But from what I gathered, the whole movie played itself out to be quite dark
Was he straight? Was he gay? The ambiguous sexuality his character gave off made me uncomfortable. Several moments lead me to believe he was gay [Um, maybe it was the anal sex?] but there were times when he would denounce homosexuality, and even say to the priest that he is nothing like Ignacio.

Plus, it doesn't help that he gets married in the end.

I think Almadovar chose to show the more 'controversial' scenes the way he did, to show how truly intimate the act becomes. Yet Juan still manages to be so disconnected, and is successful at using it as a tool to further his career.

Although thought provoking, I will agree that it leaves a little more to be desired.
The gay themes might ward off some viewers, which is unfortunate.

Originally posted by MulletProof@Oct 22 2004, 03:09 PM
I think that Almodover often chooses to be a little morbid with his themes, perhaps to make his audience uncomfortable or more probably to be thought provoking. It's usually a little much for me, but I still want to watch the film :blush:

Originally posted by marcXcore+Oct 24 2004, 05:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marcXcore @ Oct 24 2004, 05:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I couldn't follow this film all that well.. [Maybe I get distracted easily?]
But from what I gathered, the whole movie played itself out to be quite dark
Was he straight? Was he gay? The ambiguous sexuality his character gave off made me uncomfortable. Several moments lead me to believe he was gay [Um, maybe it was the anal sex?] but there were times when he would denounce homosexuality, and even say to the priest that he is nothing like Ignacio.

Plus, it doesn't help that he gets married in the end.

I think Almadovar chose to show the more 'controversial' scenes the way he did, to show how truly intimate the act becomes. Yet Juan still manages to be so disconnected, and is successful at using it as a tool to further his career.

Although thought provoking, I will agree that it leaves a little more to be desired.
The gay themes might ward off some viewers, which is unfortunate.
[snapback]405809[/snapback]​
[/b]

hmm, did you realize Gael plays like 3 characters? :huh:
I think, if you got distracted, you may have lost the entire plot. During the anal sex scene, he's playing a transvesti character that he is playing IN a film that's supposedly an accusation of what happens inside those schools and that's shot by this guy whose name I can't remember but who is the one that used to go to school with Gael's brother.

now, Gael's brother was the one that was in that ugly school, who sang in this awful way and who had gay-ish tendencies since he was a kid, later he grew up to become a transvesti with a pretty f*cked-up life, he wanted money to get breast implants and such and blackmailed people to get it, including the priest that molested him as a child and who now had a very hypocrite life, out of religion, with a stable heterosexual marriage (even though he was still gay and perv). so, this once priest got tired of being blackmailed by Gael's brother and he and Gael (who had become the priest's lover), decided to kill him.
Later Gael finds some writings by his brother that talk about the whole story from the school and since he aspires to be an actor, he decides to use the story as a film. he goes with this director (and guy who his brother fell in love with since school) to try to sell him the plot and get a job. greedly, using his similar look to his brother, he usurps him and fools the director, who's still in love with Gael's brother and consequently, falls for Gael as well.

from then on, it gets too complicated to explain :lol: .
hopefully this pseudo- explanation will do something for you :P :flower:

<!--QuoteBegin-tiffany
@Oct 24 2004, 09:16 PM
I think that Almodover often chooses to be a little morbid with his themes, perhaps to make his audience uncomfortable or more probably to be thought provoking. It's usually a little much for me, but I still want to watch the film :blush:
[snapback]405969[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I just think he wants to get realistic in terms of accusing something (child molestation in this case) and I may sound prissy or whatever but I just don't really see the point in picturing the WHOLE thing, I mean, it's not like I go to the movies because I'm a voyeur and I want to see 2 or 3 people having sex altogether, I go because I want to see the story or learn about what happened, whenever I want to see a bunch of shagging, I'll just rent some p*rno.

Originally posted by MulletProof@Oct 25 2004, 01:39 PM
I just think he wants to get realistic in terms of accusing something (child molestation in this case) and I may sound prissy or whatever but I just don't really see the point in picturing the WHOLE thing, I mean, it's not like I go to the movies because I'm a voyeur and I want to see 2 or 3 people having sex altogether, I go because I want to see the story or learn about what happened, whenever I want to see a bunch of shagging, I'll just rent some p*rno.
[snapback]406383[/snapback]​
:lol: good point :flower:

Originally posted by MulletProof@Oct 25 2004, 11:39 AM
[snapback]406383[/snapback]​

Try telling Larry Clark that.
[Sneers at 'Ken Park'.]

By the way, the pseudo explanation was way awesome.
I think I kinda, sorta understand it. Kinda.
Haha.
Thanks though!
:flower:

Originally posted by Puccipatterned@Oct 23 2004, 11:30 AM
I completely agree with you. I think Almodovar is pretentious and more after winning the oscar. But gael's interpretation is Ok.
[snapback]404944[/snapback]​
ummm...he didn't win the oscar...he's won other things, but definatly not the oscar...

Originally posted by Amélie@Oct 26 2004, 10:49 AM
ummm...he didn't win the oscar...he's won other things, but definatly not the oscar...
[snapback]406987[/snapback]​
He hasn't won the oscar for La mala educación, but he's won it for another film.

Originally posted by Amélie@Oct 26 2004, 02:49 AM
[snapback]406987[/snapback]​
he has won 2 Oscars actually, one for best script for Talk to Her and the other for best foreign film for All About My Mother :flower:

did anyone catch him with Kimmel last friday?
w00t2.gif

he looked gorgeous, and didn't say anything relevant really..and Nelly was sitting next to him and apparently had no idea who Gael was :( :lol:

some pics from The Bad Education premiere ^_^

with director Pedro Almodovar..
gaelalmodovar.jpg

gaelbe.jpg

gaelbe2.jpg

signing autographs..
gaelsigning.jpg

gaelpenelope.jpg

penelope's boobs look...strangled :wacko:

:woot: love the velvet jacket :blush: :blush: :blush: he's beyond gorgeous :heart: thanks so much for posting, MulletProof :flower:

I still have that picture of him with BLACK CLAWS in my head. :wacko: Very disturbing.

He's hot though.

I don't find him pretty - maybe attractive - but he's a hell of a good actor. And "La mala educación" is a great movie - I'm a huge fan of Almodóvar.

I am going to see him in a play in May - Blood Wedding - Lorca...! :heart:

any other Gael fans got tickets?

carlitta said:
I am going to see him in a play in May - Blood Wedding - Lorca...! :heart:

any other Gael fans got tickets?
:o by garcia lorca? omg. where is it? :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie