Gap names Patrick Robinson EVP of Design

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
:shock:
i wasn't expecting this at all...
i know he said after doing his target line that he'd never do high-fashion again, but i figured he'd do it on his own...
from fashionweekdaily.com

Patrick Robinson has been at Giorgio Armani, Anne Klein, Perry Ellis, and Paco Rabanne. Now, the 40-year-old will try his hand at the Gap.

Gap Inc. today named Robinson executive vice president of design for Gap Adult and gapbody. Robinson will oversee all elements of design for the $6 billion retail brand’s women’s and men’s apparel, accessories, and intimates lines in North America. He will report to Marka Hansen, president of Gap North America, and Gary Muto, president, Gap Adult and gapbody. He begins his new role May 29.

“Patrick brings broad experience—from high-end fashion to mass market retail—demonstrating his versatility to interpret and create fresh, clean designs true to the Gap brand aesthetic,” Hansen said in a statement. “We believe his skills and experience with some of the most respected apparel labels in the world will be great assets to Gap brand.”

Robinson, a graduate of the Parsons School of Design, joins Gap from Paco Rabanne in Paris, where he has been artistic director since 2005. Most recently, he designed a limited-edition collection for Target’s GO International initiative. Prior to his tenure at Paco Rabanne, Robinson held senior design and leadership roles at Perry Ellis and Anne Klein, the latter being where he met his wife, Vogue market director Virginia Smith. Robinson served as the design director at Le Collezioni White Label by Giorgio Armani from 1990 to 1994.

Robinson succeeds 54-year-old Charlotte Neuville, the former head designer for Gap North American who left the company in February. Neuville joined Gap in October 2005.

that is just great!, i really think this is really good for Gap and us the customers, sometimes they had really dull stuff -not bad-, just dull, hope he oversees great things

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEA for PATRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited...I hope he plans to completely revamp Gap. I may actually start shopping there again. It would also be great to see a brand re-structuring (new store concepts and designs)...Here is to hoping!

wow!

this is a surprise ^_^

I'm hoping he'll do a good job..

I liked his work for Perry Ellis and the Gap certainly needs someone to breathe new life into their brand..

I have no idea what to make of this...should I be happy :woot:...or sad :(

This doesn't surprise me, I think in the other thread concerning his Target line he expressed how he would rather go into the mass market sector so I'm really happy that he's at Gap. I hope he revamps it, because Gap needs it.

I can't remember the last time I set foot in a Gap. I just bought several of his Target GO line so this could be a good thing.

i think this could be really awesome, for the gap and for patrick. i think his go international collection for target is great for what it is, and he seems to know how to do mass market really well...

Just out of curiosity, did he ever say why he didn't want to continue in high-fashion?

I think this is a good thing. Maybe the Gap will be exciting again, I havent purchased anything from there in years.

Gap's been in trouble for too long. Will wait and see what he can do.

WOW!! IM SO HAPPY! I know he's talented, im glad someone sees it!!

Uhm.

Ok.

I was completely underwhelmed by his Target line, he really hasn't ever wowed me, I guess that makes him perfect for Gap.

The Gap needs to much restructuring, redesigning, reinvention...Patrick has his work cutout for him, though I dont think he's very good at defining a brand, he really didnt do anything at Rabanne...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he did great at Paco...maybe people just didn't pay attention to it...bleh...it like a very quiet operation, but his shows were great

This could be rather exciting! The Gap has been in a bit of a slump recently, and he could help tremendously!

in the patrick robinson for target thread, i was just commenting on how some elements in the collection reminded me of j. crew and gap...

go figure.

i feel optimistic, though. i think patrick robinson is competent at what he does, and i mean that in the best way possible. here's to hoping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
multibabydoll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->