Gary Graham S/S 2014 New York

Psylocke

Reaction score
Some very pretty looks here :wub:

September 4, 2013
NEW YORK
By Brittany Adams

Gary Graham is known for uniquely romantic designs that, more often than not, successfully render his medieval and Victorian fashion influences modern. This season, Graham found himself "a little obsessed with Willa Cather and My Antonia," and envisioned a woman who is a little more ladylike than usual. "She's done but undone all at once," he said at a preview in his Tribeca store. The new lineup included several of the designer's signature pieces, including vintage-y apron dresses, petticoats, slips, and delicate nylon mesh underpinnings embellished with jet beading—all of which have endless layering possibilities. Graham mixed those standbys (which he also reinterprets for his lower-priced Anagram line) with standout items such as a cropped puff-sleeve jacket featuring a digital damask print, as well as a cool shrunken biker patchworked with pieces of that same tapestry fabric. Elsewhere, an Empire-waist dress with a woven leather bodice and satin linen skirt also nicely balanced the opposing forces of old and new, and tough and feminine, in play here.

source: style.com

it is very pretty....perhaps a bit on the safer side for gary but generally very true to his style and technique. the only real hiccup for me is that second dress in your follow-up posting. it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. i think for it's shape it feels very random...almost too commercial too generic when you look at this collection as a whole and his work in general. other than that i do like a lot of the looks especially that last one with the cape-like drape back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The review sums up nicely what I love about Gary Graham. His medieval and Victorian influences, the study of contrasts, "done but undone all at once"... I love it all. Though this is a bit tame for him, I have to admit that that's usually how I like it.

The Victorian influences in his work are always a pleasure to look out for, if only because it's so unique to have such a relaxed silhouette with an era so obsessed with confinement. Super cool, super wearable collection.

the only real hiccup for me is that second dress in your follow-up posting. it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. i think for it's shape it feels very random...almost too commercial too generic when you look at this collection as a whole and his work in general.
Ugh, I know! That one is easily my least favorite look here, too. It looks cheap and could be part of any other collection, but looks totally out of place here. I like the looks with the pants a lot this time. And I think I love the first four looks the most.
I agree that it's very tame and also unusually sleek, and I believe those feminine shoes add a lot to that overall different look, but I may actually prefer this over the more edgy stuff with the overkill-styling that he had going on for a while, too. The individual pieces are still so beautifully crafted and full of nice details, so it's pretty but still not boring or generic and that definitely sets him apart from other designers showing in NY.

I agere this is really lovely. It does seem a bit safer than normal though, but I don't mind that at all actually as this is right up my alley and something I would wear in a heartbeat.
I'm really digging the styling as well! :wub:

Beautifully collected fabric textures and a delicate application of embellishment and lace on interesting and varied lengths and layers.
A great opening for New York for me.

This is totally beautiful collection, it's such a delicate collection with touch of romanticism.

Disappointed...expected much more as this is one of the few NYFW collections I looked forward to. :(

I love the layering and textures. Nice to see something feminine and edgy at once, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellison1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->