Givenchy Haute Couture S/S 2019 Paris

There's really nothing to see here. Nothing new, nothing fresh. she could have kept the latex gimmick because it adds nothing to these otherwise basic dresses.

I'm not sure who this really speaks to because it's not really saying anything. Why would I buy Givenchy couture today? Beyond basic and I had no expectations.

Next.

There’s something unresolved about her Couture.
She is trying to hard! It’s beyond gimmicky...The unecessary latex, the backpacks...etc.
There are some cute pieces but her work is missing something.

And I don’t understand why she is going very 80’s for her RTW and very modern for her couture.
I don’t think she is confident with her vision.

I don’t think she is confident with her vision.

I just simply think she is blind. Her use of latex screams it.

It doesn´t make any sense making classical looks (when classical here means boring and couture-generic); and then making a strange quick trip to fetish area with that latex.

And those giant pieces of fabric worn like backpacks (huge bows?) although they seem an interesting concept at first, they end looking like desperate gimmicks to get some attention to another barbituricouture collection.

Last edited:
u know it won't work very well when u can't tell if it's a HC collection or a RTW collection

This doesn't feel like couture. As others have said, there's some redeemable pieces there, but that's just it-- pieces.

Nothing here is interesting, it's so basic it reads like badly designed ready to wear. It's boxy, uninspired, and ugly.

Someone should send Clare a link to Margiela SS '19 Menswear Artisanal collection by the way, just to learn how latex and rubber can be used in couture. I know these conversations get tiring sometimes but my God, the difference between a seasoned, talented couturier like John and a designer who is just entering the couture world (and isn't finding success, if you ask me) is so glaring. That special touch is missing, even if the clothes are often well made. It's all so.. empty.

Some look nice, some look heavy and some look ridiculous. After 2 years, i still don’t see her identity at the house. So sad.

i just don't think couture is what she's interested in anyway and you can tell

I don't mind her direction but it seems like her idea of RTW and couture are not in the same direction. Some of these feel though very lovely. But she can be so heavy-handed at times. I wish she tone down the edginess. Still, the feedback elsewhere, beside this forum seems to be quite receptive. Her Givenchy has been doing well, social-listening wise (that's my job.) I would love to see the sales figures at Givenchy since she took the helm. At least she tries, maybe too hard sometimes but at least she tried, unlike some of her fellow CDs at LVMH.

never really found Clare to be an edgy designer. She churned out decent, wearables at Pringles then pretty, girly, feminine clothes at Chloe but never edgy.

But i can tell she is feeling she needs to be "edgy", perhaps due to her predecessor, doing gothic, dark moods clothing (although that is also not exactly edgy edgy...) so she does what she is doing now, and it failed miserably.

I think she should stop trying to be what she isnt, and do what she does best, and create a new identity for Givenchy. But how does she reinvent the brand?

The Haute Couture is laughable but forgiven given she is a novice, but she wanted to do this, alongside the menswear....so who is to be blamed?

Menswear, by the way, is really a big disaster. I have never felt the urge to walk into a Givenchy store ever since she took helm..

Some of these look scream try hard (and fail). I agree with all the comments above: this is unflattering.
Also what is fashion's latest obsession with big bows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->