Glamour - What does it mean to you?

Melisande

Reaction score
What does "glamour" mean to you?

I've been thinking about different ways people use the term glamour...there's anything from glamorous makeup to a glamorous career, a glamorous lifestyle, etc...and it's not necessarily about money...

What does glamour mean to you?
What makes you feel glamorous?
Is glamour something that appeals to you, that you try for?

When I hear the word "glamour", I tend to think of old-Hollywood starlets...not, say, Paris Hilton...

I generally like to think of glamour as luxury, with sophistication and a bit of elegance thrown in, with a little bit of glitz. I don't know. That's a bad definition. Glamour is definitely a concept that appeals to me though.

"Glamour" to me, is something classic, but sexy.

For example, Marilyn Monroe was Glamourous.

Designer wise, Versace is Glamourous...

To me, it's classy with a twist. I agree with thinking of old Hollywood stars and red lipstick. :smile:

"Glamour" to me means classy,well groomed,glossy,self-assured and luxurious. Certain celebrities are not glamourous,sorry Paris,Nicole and Lindsay fans....

One of the benefits of getting older ... glamour comes more easily to a woman with a bit of experience :wink: ^_^

^ That's true, it's hard to be truly glamourous without supreme self-confidence... Or the ability to fake it.

Glam is stretched across a girls boobs on a Juicy tee shirt that reads something like "Juicy Glam Girl 4Ever"

Glamour is Catherine Deneuve, it's sophistication, it's not tacky or tasteless.

Ok the thread I originally posted in was merged with a thread of a different topic,so I'll add..."glam" to me always implies some kind of campness,cheesiness,doing-as-if,over-the-top.Glam and Glamour couldn't be further removed,in my opinion.

Quirky you're right...it's been merged, but it isn't really the same topic...I was looking to start a more philosophical discussion (on the same line as "what is beauty"... and not so much about "glam" or a specific fashion )...maybe I didn't word it clearly...? Could it be un-merged?

To me, glamour has little to do with a specific outwardly style...although I do acknowlege the use of the term as such. I suspect it implies a worldliness, as well as confidence and sophistication as some have mentioned. Am I the only one who sees glamour in things like living one's vision fully with style and confidence...be it a top neurosurgeon, or even a struggling artist...?

Anyhow I love your wise insight, Fashionista-ta and Tott...as always, I may add! :flower: Quirky, I like your ideas about being self-assured and luxurious...you mention "glossy", which is really interesting...hmm...

tiamaria said:
well groomed, close to perfection, stands out from the crowd, adored and worhiped and looked upto by others. ^_^
Also I think part of it is respecting, looking after and generally being happy with your self, a glam person doesnt shy away, or walk with their head down etc.

That's a great description, standing out, standing proud, and being adored/looked up to/respected by yourself and others may be an important part of it too...

Regardless of what I'm wearing, I feel glamorous when I'm doing an important job well, for example...I'd be interested in what others feel.
:flower:

tott said:
^ That's true, it's hard to be truly glamourous without supreme self-confidence... Or the ability to fake it.

this is a good point...

Glamour is like all of the old stars. It implies being sef-confident, assured of yourself, unreachable, yet grounded just enough to that you give people the illusion that they could almost be you. It means walking into a room, and not trying to get everyone in said room to look at you, but simply expect they will (which is exactly where Paris and co go so wrong). It's wearing sexy, though always classy, clothes. In my opinion, that's where it goes wrong in our culture a lot. Throw on loads of glitter and sequins, and your style i glamourous. That's borderline trashy, and glamour is never trashy. Glamour would be a classic dress with a racy neckline, or a slit up the leg, maybe a little fur, or a little glitter, but not altogether. Glamour is knowing you have it all, and letting people have the honer of glimpsing a little of it at a time.

Thanks BelleChic, that was great, you've got it down! ( I also like your signiature...charisma is so elusive yet an important element in style.)
:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think glamour has to do with being mysterious, and holding something back. Making people wonder what you're thinking. It lets them imagine that you are more perfect than you really are.

I think it's vey high maintainance- always high heels and makeup and styled hair and co ordinated outfits. Very impractical too- like a ten peice set of matching vuitton luggage.

I think it's like portraying an image of perfection- never letting people see you at your worst. Always being "ON"

039_68763.jpe

(www.somebuddy.ca)

and like several people have said- ultimate self confidence. You know what you want- you know you deserve what you want and you're going to get it.

i see audrey as chic or elegant...

glamour to me is defined by opulence, luxury and excess...:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnceUponAModel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->