Gucci goes.. Versace

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
:shock: i'm in shock , i really am
if it only happens, Donatella might finally be the one to have the last laugh :lol:

.....The latest story to hit the mill links De Sole and Ford with the house of the Medusa. :lol:

Wednesday's Milano Finanza reports that if the two men don't get the autonomy they have demanded, they could be headed to Versace to spearhead a Gucci-style re-launch. :shock:
Plans for Versace to follow in Gucci's footsteps with an IPO were foiled back in 1997 with the untimely death of Gianni Versace. But talk of the brand kicking into high-gear expansion -- possibly with an outside investor -- has buzzed on and off over the last few years. There was even the rumor that Versace was a target of the once acquisition-hungry Gucci Group.

Although nothing was ever sealed between the two Italian companies, De Sole and Santo Versace, who share Calabrian roots, have maintained a tight, long-standing relationship over the last several decades. In fact, the Gucci chief was a VIP guest at Versace's fashion show last March, sitting front-row right beside his friend Santo.

De Sole may fit in snugly with the group, but a combined Ford-De Sole transplant seems dubious. It's hard to imagine enough room in the spotlight for Donatella Versace, who has served as head designer for the house since her brother's death, as well as the equally larger-than-life Ford. As expected, Versace quashed all rumors today. A spokesman stated firmly that "there are no plans for either Mr. De Sole or Mr. Ford to join Versace."

photo: Tom Ford for Gucci , Milano - March 03

Wow wierd, I cant imagine versace with otu donetella it would be so wierd no mroe tacky clotehs!1 :shock:

these people are on some SERIOUS MONEY

TOM FORD is thought to have made approximately $38 million in the last two months after cashing in some of his Gucci stock options. According to filings with the Dutch financial market regulators, Ford exercised nearly half of the four million stock options that he holds in the company between April 7 and May 5. His actions came at the same time as he and the Gucci CEO, Domenico de Sole, began discussions with their parent company, Pinault-Printemps-Redoute, about renewing their contracts when their expiry date comes up next year. Ford was rumoured earlier this year to be lining himself up to take over as CEO, since 58-year-old De Sole was thought to be planning to quit Gucci when the time came to renew his contract. In March, he admitted to being "very excited to at some point in the future make the transition from designer to CEO". He stipulated, however, that no concrete plans had been decided upon in lieu of the expiry date. "Our contracts are up in 2004 and it's true we haven't signed to extend," he said. "But as long as we can continue to do what we do with full control and independence, we both intend to stay a long time." (May 28 2003, AM)

:shock: I hope not!

:brows: :heart: :brows:
01.jpg

Tom Ford is a great inspiration, good luck to him were ever he decides to go, he will do wonders

lol I just ran into this old thread and it's interesting to see how things could have turned out differently if what the article suggested actually happened.
Can you imagine Tom Ford working at Versace now? Or Frida working at Versace? :shock:

this sounds like one of those stories floated to help lubricate contract negotiations. anyone who knows anything about the versace family knows this story could not carry water: as if donatella versace would cede control to tom ford and allegro versace to domenico de sole!

^ :lol: Exactly my thoughts. And its not just Donatella, many designers will not give up their creative control. ESPECIALLY when it's a family business. One of the many reasons why I love Versace.

one wonders who will sell their stake first and to whom?

It would be very strange for me as well to see someone else behind the brand. I think Donatella do it great at the moment but she already said that she´s looking for who would take over. It cold be more Christopher Kane than Tom or Frida.

Well I like to that Frida is out of the question so let's not go there. Christopher Kane? It's hard to say since he's only done one collection for the company and it wasn't even the main line. But judging from his Versus debut? Probably not. He's too minimal for a house like Versace (although it might be Versace's current direction anyway).

Allesandra F. and Tom Ford are the best candidates I can think of.

^ Allesandra Facchinetti didn't had it easy at all!! First at Gucci, how difficult can it get when someone like Tom Ford leaves the house... and then Valentino. But I think she should do something of her own, it was difficult for her to adapt into a brand's frame.

^ I'll have to disagree. Allesandra adapted perfectly into Gucci and Valentino. Especially Gucci. The transition between Tom Ford and her was very subtle yet apparent. I think she would make a suitable successor for Donatella.

I wonder if Allegra would ever consider taking over?

Well I like to that Frida is out of the question so let's not go there. Christopher Kane? It's hard to say since he's only done one collection for the company and it wasn't even the main line. But judging from his Versus debut? Probably not. He's too minimal for a house like Versace (although it might be Versace's current direction anyway).

Allesandra F. and Tom Ford are the best candidates I can think of.

christopher kane is -- and has been for years -- being groomed for the position as head designer of the house of versace womenswear. at his earliest collections, donatella versace took an interest in him -- providing the shoes for his early collection -- stating that he reminded her of gianni versace himself. his work for versus found itself limited by what that house can get produced and sold. he can't create the fantasies we know him for in his main line because a bridge line like versus can't afford to produce stuff like that and keep their margins the same.

tom ford will never design for another house outside of his own; also, no house could afford him now in this current environment. young talent not only is mold-able into whatever design aesthetic a house has established, but they're wonderfully cheap. i don't care what you think of allesandra, she will not survive at the forefront of another major house like gucci or valentino. at this point, i'd imagine she'd return to the tutelage of tom ford for his womenswear debut. they worked magic together.

^ Maybe Im underestimating Kane. I personally adore his work. His S/S 2007 collection resembled Versace a lot to me. I just get the feeling that he just isn't........ Versace-compatible. But Donatella seems to be very confident in him, which is a positive sign I guess.

Poor Alessandra. She's like the most misunderstood designer ever. She really needs to get back into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->