Gucci Loses GG Logo Trademark

VogueDisciple93

Reaction score
Gucci Loses GG Logo Trademark
15 NOVEMBER 2013 ELLA ALEXANDER

GUCCI has had its GG trademark revoked in the UK on the grounds of non-use. The UK Intellectual Property Office (IPO) said that the label can still use the interlocking double G logo to sell under class three - which includes fragrances and soaps.

Gucci first registered the motif in 1984 in the UK in four different classes - 3, 14, 18 and 25. This spans handbags, T-shirts, watches and cosmetics. Under British law, UK trademarks can be revoked if they are not used within five years of their registration.

Fashion brand Gerry Weber applied for the motif to be repealed in June 2012 for a lack of use between 2003 and 2012, reports the World Intellectual Property Review. Gucci responded by providing figures of sales goods from those years, but didn't make clear as to whether or not these were UK-based.

The IPO deemed these too vague to be proof of genuine use, and revoked the mark covering classes 14, 18 and 25 - which means that the Italian brand no longer owns the trademark to those categories. There was thought to be enough evidence that the symbol was used in class three products, including "non-medicated toilet preparations, cosmetic preparations, perfumes, soaps, dentifrices, preparations for the hair; anti-perspirants, depilatory preparations".

vogue.uk.co

A little key to put this in perspective:

Class 14: Precious metals and their alloys; jewellery, costume jewellery, precious stones; horological and chronometric instruments, clocks and watches.

Class 18: Leather and imitations of leather; animal skins, hides; trunks and travelling bags; handbags, rucksacks, purses; umbrellas, parasols and walking sticks; whips, harness and saddlery; clothing for animals.

Class 25: Clothing, footwear, headgear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure they will appeal this decision.

How dumb of their legal team to provide sale figures without correctly specifying the country in which they took place. :rolleyes:

Wait a minute...so just because Gucci hasn't used their signature trademark for a period of time, someone decides to sue and gain the rights to it? :blink:

Wait a minute...so just because Gucci hasn't used their signature trademark for a period of time, someone decides to sue and gain the rights to it? :blink:

Well I think it makes sense that if you trademark something, you should also make use of it. I think the trademark also counts for something that closely resembles it. Otherwise you can just trademark something for the sole reason that other people won't be able to do it.

(not sure why anyone would want to use something that resembles their trademark G's though.. I always thought the gucci print was one of the most hideous prints of all the brands)

Gucci losing its trademark over non-use of the double GG.

Have they never walked into a Gucci store because um...:rolleyes:

I'm sure there is a legal reason that this occurred which someone more intelligent will explain, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

I wasn't aware they had something without the logo in their sortiment at all. Especially their jewellery, I thought each piece had the "GG" on them. No?

Gucci losing its trademark over non-use of the double GG.

Have they never walked into a Gucci store because um...:rolleyes:

I'm sure there is a legal reason that this occurred which someone more intelligent will explain, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Exactly. I'd be afraid to turn my back in their store for fear I might find myself logoed the next time I checked a mirror :lol:

I wasn't aware they had something without the logo in their sortiment at all. Especially their jewellery, I thought each piece had the "GG" on them. No?

Just so. Even LV is less heavily logoed. If you walk in the store and find what you think is a plain pair of shoes, just rotate them a few degrees, and you'll have a gold GG staring you in the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->