Gucci S/S 2025 Milan

It feels like he's trying to tap into what Nicolas Di Felice is doing at Courreges, but Di Felice has more conviction.
Funny enough, Di Felice did a sunset inspired collection for Courreges:

The difference is that Di Felice inherited Ghesquiere's inventive approach when it comes on designing and constructing clothing, while Sabato, like PPP, create based on vibes. Sabato doesn't have the skills or the balls to design dresses based of geometry, jackets with secondary armholes or pants with p*ssy-pockets. Funny enough, the p*ssy-pocket would have been an nice call-back of "p*rno-chic".

Guys, Sabato won me over. I'll make a longer post but for now I can say it's his best show.

Thank you @vogue28 for posting the stills as always.

Solid offering of brand outlet or department store staples: Nondescript, personality-free and absolutely sexless essentials. It’s not a bad thing— MaxMara copies 1990s diffusion lines DKNY/CK/Farhi wholesale and succeeds, why not Gucci copying 1998 highend department-store inhouse brand — just with the signature horsebit thrown in?

What I’m only ever looking forward to from Sabato, is his voluntary posting of his backstage swaying and twirling...

It's decent verging on good but I still prefer the Fall Winter show.
Finally a good presentation that is required for such a big brand.
I wish he developed more the idea of the gold bamboo buckles on dresses and jackets, those details reminded me of Gucci by Frida.
Also, if you look closely, you can see he's still pushing ideas from previous shows, probably cause he already burnt out:
- Embellished fringes: fringed skirts, coats and kitten heels for first show, fringes with large sequins attached on coats for second show, now have yet more fringes on coats
- Sheer midi dresses: lots of sheer midi dresses for second show, still a lot of similar dresses for this show too (probably rejected from the previous one)
- A line dress with squared sharp neckline: that neon green dress looks again a recycled look from his first show

In the past few months we heard many rumors about a former bag designer from Saint Laurent called by Bellettini in aid for creating some covetable bags for Gucci, well I didn't see any of them. The jackies are nothing new, the bamboo east west are good but nothing original, the bucket bags with the oversized horsebit detail were nice but it's impossible to make a bucket bag become IT, the last 4 bags were literally horsebit with a GG buckle, hence kinda tacky. The bag department is a huge disaster (ironic for a brand whose profits mostly come from the Marmont line) and keep on releasing seasonal bags hoping some of them will have some kind of success:
- First show: released that super tacky Gucci Luce, looked like a bag from Guess, no one even dared to buy it
- Second show: huge improvement with the half moon shaped and the Gucci Milano, the latter has a huge potential to become an IT bag, yet they did not show it in the Cruise and this show
- Cruise: oversized hobo Jackie, too big to become an IT bag, glad they did not show it

The undertone of WWD's review is so bitchy, I love it. It's pretty much: "He did this thing and this other thing, but was it enough to save Gucci?".
Gucci Spring 2025 Women’s Ready-to-Wear: Will It Be Enough?
Creative director Sabato De Sarno stayed the course, showing more Ancora red leather, sporty tailoring, lingerie looks, horsebit accessories and nods to famous Gucci customer of yore Jacqueline Kennedy.

By Booth Moore
September 20, 2024, 11:49am

Will it be enough to excite the flagging luxury consumer?

That was the question after watching the spring 2025 Gucci show Friday afternoon at the Triennale. Challenging environment aside, the brand flexed, putting on a massive production with a crowd outside as far as the eyes could see gathered for a glimpse of the red carpet.

Inside, Daisy Edgar-Jones and Dakota Johnson were twinning in cream lace, and François-Henri Pinault was all smiles posing with Jin from BTS. The show opened with a backbeat that had Mark Ronson’s toes tapping along with everyone else’s; it should have, he mixed it.

On the runway, a year after taking the helm of the Kering-owned label, which went from cash cow to seeing significant losses, creative director Sabato De Sarno stayed the course, reasserting his codes for the house, and the codes that came before him, while showing a lot of accessories. A lot.

He was going for “casual grandeur” he said during a preview, where street-style photos picturing the disarming elegance of Jacqueline Kennedy, with her oversize sunglasses and Gucci hobo in tow, were on his mood board.

The term “casual grandeur” was actually first used by British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan to describe the iconic first lady’s ability to combine European sophistication with American ease, and it resonated with De Sarno “because I love to make clothes for people, for real life, to see my clothes on people,” he said.

The approach saw him cut easy sportswear pieces in gray menswear fabric, such as a zip-front jacket and slit-front trousers over sneakers, as well as peppy horsebit jacquard blouson and miniskirt sets. He reasserted his tailoring skills with 1960s-looking rounded jackets, pencil skirts and a slim coat with clever cutout and tie details, and the ladylike raffia suiting conjured Frida Giannini’s Gucci era. He also continued his streak of taking everyday outerwear and making it extraordinary, as seen in a gorgeous olive overcoat with green metallic fringe snaking down the front.

Lingerie-inspired lace slipdresses made an encore appearance, too, as well as glossy leather in Ancora red and lime green with Mod or biker flourishes, building to a finale of statement coats, including a trench à la Jackie, worn with baggy jeans and a Gucci red-and-green-trimmed tank top, a GG belt and silk scarf.

The accessories were plenty visible, with the 1947 Bamboo bag front and center done in a new East-West version, a clutch, and as a mini bracelet bag. Several of the runway bags were customized by contemporary Japanese artists.

The bamboo motif was also abundant in necklaces, bracelets and the bamboo collars and metal details incorporated into sexy jersey halter gowns inspired by Tom Ford’s 1990s Gucci interpretations of 1970s Halston.

De Sarno continued to run with the house horsebit, which he’s evolved from a platform to a ballerina and now to a 1960s-inspired tall second-skin boot. And in addition to dozens of permutations of the Jackie bag, he brought back the Gucci 1973 bucket shape from the archives with a horsebit on its side.

There were also sunglasses, sun hats and scarves, so much product that one wondered if the marketing folks went a little too wild in search of the sale.

When I asked about his impact and what customers have been buying, De Sarno said he has been delighted to see Ancora red go global, with people wearing it even when it’s not Gucci. He also joked that he was onto Charli XCX’s Brat green first.

De Sarno has conviction, and when given enough time, that has worked magic at other houses with image-altering creative directors, such as Celine with Hedi Slimane. His classic, casual pieces like Gucci jeans and tank tops, leather blousons and shorts can fit into many wardrobes, too. But does his vision make you dream and dream and dream enough to want to buy? Still TBD. The impromptu dance party that broke out on the runway after the show sure thought so, however, and that’s something.
WWD

I thought this was bad, very uninspired and uninspiring. The middle section of micro-mini outfits was particularly awful - the proportions of each look were terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->