Gucci's Future Plans

I agree, it's not fair to place all the blame on Frida. She has done a great job of cleaning up the "drug, sex and rock & roll" image that Tom Ford established--which was fun, but isn't really sustainable. I think she's done some really desirable collections, but my issue with Gucci is that everything seems so formulaic and business-like. The shows are always the same format with robotic models. And even though they show the clothes on really young models, the clothes always look like too grown-up and stuffy. You never really get the sense that the clothes are "cool".

I agree to not blame all on Frida. Mr Pinault is also responsible. I don't think she has done a great job of cleaning the Tom Ford image (because people are still comparing her Gucci to the Tom Ford years).
At YSL, the mission was to forget/avoid Tom Ford. It wass a success because Stefano had a vision and was backed up by Pierre Berge in the beginning.

I was not a fan of Alessandra because she tried to do Tom Ford and she failed. Her shows were really tacky and vulgar.

At first, Frida approach was radical from Tom Ford: very commercial, wearable and sweet. It was luxury fast-fashion. I don't know if it was Gucci enough but it wasn't Tom Ford's Gucci and i liked that. It was what Saint Laurent is today.

But after few seasons of bad reviews, Gucci started to comeback to the Tom Ford years. The collections started to reference the Tom Ford years, they bring back the packaging from those years, the campaigns started to be very sexy again.

Frida has done a great job on maintainning the financial stability of Gucci. But the brand needs a complete change.

And i agree about the clothes. Her pants have a very "special" shape. They are not very flattering while some of her dresses are really good.

I think maybe a change of stylist and presentation would be better than a change in creative director.

They have changed stylists many times already.

Frida has done 12 years at Gucci. It's already a big thing. It's not even fair to compare Vuitton & Gucci nowadays.

I think maybe a change of stylist and presentation would be better than a change in creative director.

It's actually weird, because the existing presentation, packaging and styling does exude a moneyed air of luxury. Or shall we say, they strive to achieve that. The clothing are just too 'safe' for my liking. It certainly does not warrant their asking prices. I still think the 'Gucci Premiere' launch was completely unnecessary. I've not seen any outstanding design since the line's inception. According to Frida, 'it's couture'. To me it just looks like another Elie Saab range, which we don't really need. This leads me to believe that the undeviating rut they're stuck in is partially due to the creative control.

@ Lagerfeldboy: Times have changed. Her company's sphere of interest extends beyond Italy. Much of a designer's time, aside from working, is spent at launches/conferences and doing interviews. She needs to be proficient in English as the majority of the press operate in this language.

^ See I 100% disagree with what you've said about Frida's vision for the brand lending it a more monied, luxurious image. In fact, I think it's been quite the opposite. She's democratized Gucci, and while it's probably completely un-P.C. to say so, democratic exclusivity doesn't really exist. Gucci had an air of luxury and exclusivity back when Ford was there simply due to the fact that his products a) didn't appeal to everyone b) didn't aim to appeal to everyone and as a result c) weren't within reach of everyone. Honestly the Gucci shopping environment now -- with the tacky gilded mid-century furnishings in stores that have the feel of Vegas in the 70s or 80s, the terrible uniforms and the new "glove service" that SAs are now forced to participate in -- it's trying way too hard to appear old money and glamorous and luxurious. But it's all just kinda corny.

Compound that with the fact that the prices keep increasing while the products keep looking the same and you pretty much have an explanation for why Gucci ain't what it once was.

And no, it's not entirely Frida's fault. If anything she's been a very good puppet over the years, doing what she was told to do from the get go.

One thing I just realized however is how hypocritical Gucci has been in elevating her status. When Ford left there was much made by Kering (PPR) at the time that the star designer was dead. Yet from what I recall Ford never had a documentary made about him during his time at the house. I suppose marrying your boss has some perks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->