Hair Breakage

TheSweetest

Reaction score
I am an African American 19 year old with a pretty good grade of hair, it just breaks off really bad. I keep my hair clean, but every time I blow dry my hair after each wash my hair covers my bathroom floor. ( :sick: I know!) My hair is naturally THICK. My mom's hair is past her bra to the middle of her back and thick too :heart: and it does this. We really need to know what works. It's really upsetting to see your hair fall out like this. Any advice? :cry:

this might come off as gross-->
my hair's VERY long, about 2 inches above the butt. ive had hair this long for 3 years now, but since i gave birth, my hair started falling off in clumps-- its scarY!
anyway doctors said it was hormone related and should grow back soon.
in the meantime, my friend who was almost bald at one point (And has a headful of hair now) says to use MANE and TAIL shampoo-- the same one that horses use!
and he was dead serious when he told me about it. so i dont know.. he DOES have a headful of hair now and NO implants.. so i am also seriously thinking about his suggestion! because thats what he used for 6 months~! :wacko: but maybe there is some truth to it being effective!

I have a different type of hair so I don't know if I have any good product reccomendations- but I was wondering if you noticed if it is hair breaking off somewhere in the middle of the hair, or if the whole hair is coming out from the root? If the whole hair is coming out from the root then you might have been pulling on your scalp too tightly or have a vitamin deficiency of some sort? If it is breaking- I hope someone knows of a good product to strenghten it.

Good luck! I know it's distressing to me when I see hair all over my sink and ugh :cry:

Try using super-conditioner...the blow-dryer may be damaging your hair...

use over-night leave in conditioning treatments......and make sure you COMB your hair while it has the conditioner in it

also after washing your hair, rinse it with COLD water

Do you happen to wear your hair in a ponytail often? Sometimes if you put a hair tie in the same place day after day, it can cause breakage.

Oh my goodness. My mom and I were just talking about that shampoo and conditioner for horses. I think we are going to give it a try. Our hair is breaking off all over, there's no specific area. It rarely breaks off from the roots. Fortunately you cannot look at us and tell that our hair does this. I figured that the blow dryer would kill our hair. We get our monthly relaxer but other than that, we just wash and dry. We don't put our hair in ponytails either (it kinda hurts).

Thanks so much!

Do you relax your hair? How often do you do it? Is your stylist using too stong of a relaxer?

Maybe try jojoba oil? It's supposed to be the closest thing to the scalp's natural oils. You could put it on overnight as a conditioner.

I'm actually having a problem at the moment with breakage in the front of my hair because I left my blonding shampoo on too long. It's annoying me so much too. My best advice for anyone with breakage would be to just try not to make it worse and just let it grow out. At the moment, I'm trying not to use anything that's going to make it any worse. And also, blending it in with the rest of my hair makes it less noticeable.

Ugh, I have the same annoying problem. My hair is quite thick too, and when i comb it after i shower, I get lotsa falling hair. The guy at the salon I go to says that I shouldn't use shampoo everyday and used it only every other day cause it's too strong or something like that and that i should use conditioner more.

try the pantene shampoo/conditioner for hair failling out and breakage. i really reccomend it. its more expensive than regular pantene but worth it...

this might come off as gross-->
my hair's VERY long, about 2 inches above the butt. ive had hair this long for 3 years now, but since i gave birth, my hair started falling off in clumps-- its scarY!
anyway doctors said it was hormone related and should grow back soon.
in the meantime, my friend who was almost bald at one point (And has a headful of hair now) says to use MANE and TAIL shampoo-- the same one that horses use!
and he was dead serious when he told me about it. so i dont know.. he DOES have a headful of hair now and NO implants.. so i am also seriously thinking about his suggestion! because thats what he used for 6 months~! :wacko: but maybe there is some truth to it being effective!
mane and tail is AMAZING. I use it regularly. sometimes I will use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner from loreal on occasion if my hair needs some extra moisture, but mane and tail it my staple for when I wash my hair. It strengthened my over processed and heat damaged hair so much. I love it. I even add a little hair oil to the conditioner before I put it on and it makes my hair even softer and stronger feeling after I rinse it out. I love me some mane and tail, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got into the habit of breaking my ends years ago and now it is a serious problem and i can't stop. does anyone have any ideas?

try to use this shampoo 'Rene Furterer Forticea Shampooing Stimulant'
im also same age and iam asian,
my hair used to fall out and break off really badly but after i use this shampoo, the amount of hair loss was reduced and it gave my hair more nutritious.
if you have used this before, then try fekkai's shampoo.
i prefer to use more organic (thats why i like rene furterer) but fekkai is nomally used to all type of hair. i recommend 'protein RX Reparative shampoo'.

last recommend is try to cut bottom of your hair.
i usually have hair cut once in a month. the end of each hair is separated(fissure?) minutely. so that crack is extended,influenced upper your growing hair.

hope your hair codition get better. :smile:

i got into the habit of breaking my ends years ago and now it is a serious problem and i can't stop. does anyone have any ideas?

OMG, I have had this habit since high school. It is gross and embarrassing but it became a nervous habit and I start doing it absentmindedly and then stop myself when I notice it but I catch myself often!:ninja: I started it when I had long hair and noticed you can actually see split ends and I broke them off to get rid of them, but now that it's a habit it is worsening the condition of my hair and probably creating more split ends than it is diminishing them.

I think getting trims regularly helps to have less split ends that you want to break in the first place. But I have a textured short haircut now and often the stylist uses a razor to cut my hair so the ends aren't always pristine after a haircut either.:(

Also, keeping my fingernails manicured helps because I don't want to have the tips of my nails chip.

And using a deep conditioning/repair treatment regularly (weekly or biweekly) helps my hair feel smoother so I don't feel any spots with that split end "bump" that I want to get rid of.

Hope that helps. I know it's an embarrassing bad habit and bad for my hair but it's hard to stop myself, even when I know I've just spent a fortune on a haircut and products to keep my hair nice.:unsure:

i have the same type issue as you pinksatin, i tend to play with my hair, and snip of the split ends myself, which apparently does more harm than good..for general breakage hair needs protein Redken CAT anti snap from the extreme range is awesome, the leave in and rinse out! :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->