Hand-drawings printed onto fabric?

Honey~Blade

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'd like to try and get some of my drawings printed onto some tees etc. preferrably not with any iron on methods. I'm looking for something that is more permanent and lasting.

Can anyone help a poor boy out? :P

Thanks!

Hey I have had this done twice before using a screen printing service. I brought my drawings and 12 tees, it cost me about $50 for the service.

Are you asking what kind of paint to use that will not wash off?

Isnt there some sort of thing now that lets you print out an iron on? You could just scan your drawings then no?

Or maybe use a bleach pen on a dark shirt.

I think you want screenprinting. just use ink meant for fabrics, you can get everything you need at a decent art supply store.

They sell silkscreening kits. You don't need a darkroom, it includes a device that exposes the screens the way you want, along with paints. In Japan it's called Print-gokko but Im sure they have similar ones elsewhere. However, silkscreening depends on the design or course.

Or you can paint directly using fabric paint or dye.

If you want to print a drawing/painting you already have made, perhaps the best way is to ask a professional service as suggested or use an iron-on transfer...

There are other ways too...
You can use a product called Bubblejetset 2000--you soak your fabric into the solution and once it's dry, you bond it to some freezer paper with an iron
Then you put the fabric/paper into an inkjet printer and print your image on to it as if using ordinary paper.
The thing is, you probably need a wide printer

The other option is to use a chemical like Xylene, Citrasolve or Acetone.
You take a print out of your image, place it on to the fabric, soaking both a little with the chemical and all the while burnishing it into the fabric with a spoon
This one's not for mass-production though :wink:
http://www.odd-goddess.com/html/transfers.html

Thanks for all the advice everyone, totally helped me a bunch! Keep the suggestions coming whatever you may have, I'd like to learn as much as possible :smile:

Actually my mistake, the Xylene is strong, so you should be able to do it quickly (so it works for mass production... never tried it though). It works best on a very closely woven fabric like satin. There are 'blender pens' which come with this chemical and can be used the same way; and it also comes in a package called "goof off". You need a mask/respirator if you're going to be using it for a long time because of the rumes
Citrasolve is a household cleaner, so it's not toxic
And Acetone is basically the stuff you use to remove nail polish

All the explanation is in the link I posted
and I think one works for B/W print outs while others can be used for both B/W and colour

Other thing is to use something called the Versa-tool
It's like a soldering iron, which you can change the tip of (sharp point tip, flat dime-shaped tip, etc.)
You use the dime-shaped one.. and working on a hard surface, you burnish a print (laser copy/print) of your image with it onto the fabric. Best to practice first with this since it gets hot and you can burn the fabric a bit on the first try
This one definitely takes longer...

Probably silkscreen is best
It's not very expensive at all...
You can even use fabric paint
There are some good tips here on paint and stenciling http://www.stencilrevolution.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoutshonor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->