Handmade Handbags

cjseattle

Reaction score
I'd like to make my own handbags- just for fun but I'm not sure where to start.
Any ideas?

cute, print fabric totes are just an easy idea to start playing with :flower:

You can also try buying Vogue/McCall's/butterick etc. patterns from your local craft store...

The easiest thing is to make a tote . I make bags out of old jeans, however margiela decided to steal my ideal :blush:

I'm totally excited to do this. My last sewing project was when I was in fourth grade- so I probably need to take sewing classes to refresh my memory- not even sure I can work the sewing machine! :o

I've been making bags as presents for family...it started when I did one for myself to carry all my books and folders, and people kept on asking me where I got it from.

I use denim and any unusual fabric I find as trimming. I use bamboo for handles. I don't use a pattern because they are just rectangular shaped. Here's a pic of one I made especially for my Mum (who is in her 70s). My suggestion is to just go for it and try simple shapes to start off with.

Good luck!!!!

:woot: I remember you posting regarding your bags Charlotte, this looks cute, I wish I could see more -and bigger- visuals of your 'exclusive' totes :heart:

I also need to work on my machine cjseattle.. I've almost forgotten how it works :doh:

Actually Lena, I was unsure about whether to post a pic at all, in case you all thought it was awful....so I went small. :blush:

It's just something I do as a bit of a creative outlet 'cos I spend so much of my time wrapped up in my work that I need an escape. :P

Here's a pic of my bag (taken with my dodgy digital camera with too much flash:blink: ).

Charlottesometimes - those bags are lovely :flower:

Making bags is good fun.
It's inexpensive, quick & quite easy & adds a really persomlised touch to an outfit.

I don't think mine will be as good as your though :smile:
I'll have to learn how to manage the sewing machine first thing.

I'fd love to see some designs once they're done!!

Super blue handbag, Charlotte. I love the handle design, it's really cool.

I love both of those bags! I've tried making my own bags - from old jeans as well, and they turned out alright, except I sewed on the trimming wonkily so it's a bit off so I'm not going to use it! I'd love to start making proper bags though, thanks for the inspiration :flower:

Oh Charlotte I love those bags! So unique with the bamboo like that :heart: :flower:

Yup. Several times.

I had this awesome backpack in highschool that was a pretty brown/rust/olive/maroon/cream paisley with fake leather trim. The fake leather went all to hell on me, so I salvaged the tapestry fabric and made an envelope bag, and made a new strap for it out of satin cords and tassels (for upholstery and draperies). I used a home-made frog arrangement for closing the flap of the purse. That was my first ever home-made bag.

More recently, I made a backpack out of an old jean skirt that always looked like crap on me and was hard to walk in because it was too straight, too long, and didn't have a vent or any kick pleats. I installed a zipper inside of the waistband, so that the top of the bag could zip shut. Then I sewed the hem of the skirt shut. Using four cheapie webbing belts, I put one around the bottom, so I could buckle the bottom of the bag around my waist to keep it from slipping when I was on my bike. I put one through the belt-loops as the skirt, just because it was cute, then I used the other two for the shoulder straps. I sewed the blunt end of the belt to the top waistband of the bag, and the end with the d-rings is loose at the bottom and threads through the bottom belt, so I can adjust it. It is hard to explain. When I get new batteries for my camera, I will have to show y'all. It is actually pretty cool.

I made a little wrist-strap evening bag to use when my husband and I got married, because I knew I needed to have a few things to hand (sunscreen, lip balm, ink pen). We had an outdoor wedding and reception at the end of June, so things were pretty warm and sunny. I used two half-moon shaped pieces of white satin, with grey/peach lace overlaid on them, some 1mm pearl-bead re-embroidery, and a grey, ruched-satin ribbon for the wrist strap. My wedding dress was cream and peach, and it looked pretty nice together. The bag had a drawstring top.

I've got a bag my mom started to make for me, and I am going to finish it. She crocheted it out of brown, orange, and tan yarn (it is concentric rings/stripes of the colors) and is an envelope-style bag, with a long double-strap that ends in a tassel on either side, comprised of 4" pieces of the yarn and some wood and brass beads. The flap of the purse is held shut by a yarn loop and a large wooden button. I'm going to line it in brown satin with a built-in change purse and a zip across the top. I may also make a separate little pochette for makeup and small items that would match the lining.

I have some cool old 1970s patterns for bags and some more contemporary ones that I might have a go at. I have a big piece of black vinyl that is begging to be put to some good use, so we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->