Hanneli Mustaparta

“I remember my first time going to New York Fashion Week at Bryant Park—I was there to support a friend who was doing a show and she hadn’t walked in a very long time, so it was nice to give some friendly support. I remember that I was like, 'Ha, I could just bring my camera here. Why shouldn’t I?’ So the next time she did a show I brought my camera and starting shooting street style.”

“I shop online a bit, but usually only when I’ve seen something at a photo shoot that I love so much that I need to get my hands on it. Sometimes I’m lucky and a designer will design something specifically for me. Shopping in general is a different thing than it was before, because now my whole life is about fashion.”

“Everything is digital these days. A lot of the pictures on my blog are with this camera and I can just tell that there is a little ‘oomph’ that makes them different. Maybe not everyone notices, but I know and it makes me really happy. I think everything in the world is balanced and this is the balance here.”

“Initially my blog was just a place to look at my pictures before they were in iPhoto, because in iPhoto, they never seemed exciting. Seeing my pictures on a clean space, somewhere that felt like a gallery, made me realize that they were really nice.”

“My professional life and my personal life have intertwined a lot—it’s almost like they braid together. At the same time, I find it more and more important to separate smaller things that are private into a private world. With social media, everyone can pay attention to what you are doing and in the end there is so little that is only yours. I really love having something that is just mine.”

“I grew up in Norway in the suburbs of Oslo and originally got into fashion by modeling when I was 17. I first worked in Norway, then Milan and then lived in Paris for many years before ending up in New York. I wanted to do something more than just being in front of the camera and I always felt like participating in the shoots because I loved the conversations that were going on around me, but as a model you are just supposed to sit there and let everyone else do their work. I just knew that I had so much to participate and add. I always remember, ‘Oh, I like that opinion,’ ‘I like this person,’ or sometimes there was a stylist that did something I didn’t agree with, and I was like, I’ll remember that for the future. I feel like I learned a lot by watching and working with talented people.”

“From the beginning, my road in this world has been a series of ‘pinching arm’ kind of moments. Sitting in meetings with Anna Wintour, being photographed by Patrick Demarchelier, Carine Roitfeld telling me I always looked chic at one of my first fashion weeks—there are so many moments. All of these things combined made me so excited about what I was doing and confirmed that I was on the right path.”

“My David Bailey book is one of my favorite. Every time I’m in Paris after fashion month is over, I go to this beautiful photography store and I always try to find a book for me as a present for myself for being brave and running around all of the fashion capitals. It has nothing to do with clothes, nothing to do with shoes, nothing to do with bags, but is just beautiful pictures. They are just incredible—he is so inspiring. I bought it two or three years ago and it’s still a book that sticks out to me. After buying this I saw a documentary on him, so it’s fun to have one of his original books from that time.”

“Initially my blog was just a place to look at my pictures before they were in iPhoto, because in iPhoto, they never seemed exciting. Seeing my pictures on a clean space, somewhere that felt like a gallery, made me realize that they were really nice.”

“I always wished that I had someone to share things with like the Olsen twins. I wanted someone to bounce my ideas off of, as someone who understands you is so valuable. I don’t have that and I’ve never had it, so that has trained me to be even more secure in my own voice.”

“From the beginning I knew that I didn’t just want to blog about food, or my morning. That seemed more like a diary that people did as something on the side of their job or their schoolwork—I wanted to make it into something that could actually be a job, which is a crucial difference. It could of easily just been a hobby project and all of us bloggers could have had jobs on the side, but to make it into something proper that people would respect, took a lot of hard work. Anna Wintour had an article in American Vogue in late 2009 or 2010, which was not long after I started my blog in English. It was a ‘power’ issue and some bloggers and I were featured—from then on, people and companies started to take blogging more seriously.”

“I have a very hard time describing my style. I just know my own personal rules, like I don’t want to pile on too many things when making an outfit. It’s more about functionality and being comfortable, but at the same time wearing something that makes me really excited.”

“You have times where you aren’t inspired and times where you are incredibly inspired, and I think that’s the rollercoaster. You just have to know you have it in you and know your quality of work is there. I get inspiration from anything that is old, as I feel like anything that is now is so available to everyone, so I try not to be inspired by things that anyone can find online.”

“I got a Swedish guy who was just out of web design school to make my blog for me—I found him on Facebook and it was all very low-tech. He couldn’t even finish it because there were some technical difficulties that he didn’t understand, so he told me that I didn’t even need to pay him. The only thing I knew was that I wanted the space on my website to be clean, like almost walking into a gallery and experiencing the image in person. I feel a lot of people think the more banners and more commercial a blog is, the more professional it seems, but I always wanted to keep a clean slate. I just refused to have advertising on it—I wanted to keep the initial feeling of looking at something in a pure space.”

“An important part of fashion is that you’re not supposed to buy something and just wear it once. I really, really believe you are supposed to wear something and want to wear it again in a different way. I think that’s the art of being able to dress cool and having taste—it’s also good for our planet and wallets.”

“I don’t think I research any style on purpose when getting dressed. I think it’s just whatever I’m attracted to, like David Bailey, who is one of my favorite photographers. A lot of his models weren’t actually models, but they always looked just as magnificent. I think today there are so many people that could be those people, but they go under the radar because it is a different time. I love what he saw—something beautiful where you might not necessarily see it.”

“I was still in Norway when I started my blog and was getting so many readers from around the world asking me to write in English. I hadn’t made any effort to gain international readers, so I was like where were all these people coming from?! I realized that other blogs in Norway had written about me and other people would read those blogs and it travelled on, so in 2009 I decided to open my blog in English. I bought my own domain, Hanneli.com, and even though it was only a few people, it was a bigger readership than just my family. I still felt like I was blogging for myself, but if there were a few people out there who liked it as well, that didn’t feel too scary.”

"I love my Miu Miu skirt, I remember looking at the collection and not knowing what to do with myself because the whole collection was so strong. I had my 30th birthday and I decided that I needed to have something fun to turn 30 in and this was the perfect item. It just screams party and now is full of memories. I was celebrating with all my friends and my family here in New York and in Turks and Caicos.”

“There are always strong women who I am very inspired by. I love Diana Vreeland because she was very out there and had a strong mind—she knew exactly what she wanted to do and how she wanted it to be done, and was so good at saying what her inner voice told her. That’s sometimes the hardest part today, as we don’t want to seem difficult or demanding, but at the same time we want to get our opinions across. In terms of women who are alive today, Anna Wintour is an inspiration. She is a strong woman and she has such a strong sense of business and what she wants to do.”

“When I started shooting there were only a few people photographing outside the shows, like Scott Schuman, Tommy Ton and a few others. I think there was only around five of us and we all had a different take on everything so would learn from one another. I decided to go to Paris Fashion Week and I saw my friends that I had met at New York Fashion Week, and we formed sort of a community of photographers with unwritten rules. I think now all of those ‘rules’ are probably gone, but then if someone knew an editor or someone that we wanted to photograph, or saw someone and asked them to stop, then that was their shot. If someone were to go over your shoulder and take that photo, that was a big no-no. Today that doesn’t work because there are so many photographers and you would just fight.”

“I’m very attracted to the 1960s and ‘70s and I love mixing styles from the two eras together. I think the aesthetics are so strong and stunning—you can play on being very proper, but at the same time you can be airy and carefree.”

“I got an SLR camera and I had no clue how to work it, but everyone told me you just get into it, so I put my camera on manual and starting taking photos. Instead of causing a commotion by asking people if I could borrow a studio to learn lighting and settings, I decided instead to take photographs of myself and other people during fashion week. It was cheaper, quicker and much less pressure, so was a great way for me to learn.”

“I’m very minimal in the way I like my home, I don’t need to have things everywhere, but it still needs to be cozy and sweet. Aesthetics are just about your gut feeling and I find it much better to listen to my inner voice when buying things and trying things on.”

"My analog camera is very special to me—they finished producing it in Germany in 1996. It’s film and shooting with film is something that makes me very happy. I can’t do it all the time, but I try to do it as often as I can. I feel like you can savor pictures in a different way, and even if you pretend to use your digital camera as an analog, it’s never going to be the same. The results are beautiful.”

“The CHANEL is my favorite bag and it wasn’t mine until a year ago. My very good friend had this for years and every time I needed a white bag I always thought about this one and my friend would be kind enough to lend it to me. Then on my birthday last year I opened up a present from her and her husband and it was the bag. It’s still one of my favorites and I use it all the time and I’ll never get enough of it. My friend always tells me, ‘if there’s something you love you should give it away to somebody you love.” And she did, which is so, so kind.“

thecoveteur.com

fabsugar.com

theurbanspotter

Last edited by a moderator:
Tory Burch - Front Row - Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2015

zimbio.com

Eurowoman Denmark, November 2015

[FONT=&quot]Eurowoman Denmark, November 2015[/FONT]
RmVjpDI.png

- from eurowoman denmark instagram

Coming August 2017: Comfort by Pierre Robert.
Design by Hanneli.

- from her instagram page

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->