Harper’s Bazaar France February 2024 : Karolina Spakowski by Alasdair McLellan

FARAWAY ROAD
Photography:
Sean Thomas
Styling: Alex Assil
Hair: Tamás Tüzes
Make-up: John McKay
Model & Celebrities: Rebecca Leigh Longendyke, Tom Bowers, Dairinn Bowers, Lee Keating Bowers & Evan Rosenfeld

Harper's Bazaar France Digital Edition

L'ALLURE EN DOUCE
Photography:
Umit Savaci
Styling: Roxana Mirtea
Hair: Gilles Degivry
Make-up: Patrick Glatthaar
Model: Tara Raani

Sean Thomas ed is such a lovely emulation of Weber in his glory days. Maybe it's the magic of the layout but I really like it. The rest is not bad but nothing memorable. Main story is a wasted potential, it's not even a story, just random images thrown together.

Another absolute triumph for Harper's Bazaar France! The cover itself feels like a breath of fresh air, love McLellan's photography here, the fact it's Karolina Spakowski, the Twiggy inspo and the whole art direction. The cover, overall, is just executed to perfectly. A 10/10 from me! :heart:

I like everything specially FARAWAY ROAD. Rebecca looks stunning and I love her smile!

So chic. HB France is really one of the few bright stars in a dismal magazine landscape. What in the world is preventing other editions of Vogue and HB to move in this direction?

I feel like I like the idea of HB France more than its actual output and this issue is evidence of that for me. McLellan's work seriously bores the hell out of me pretty much all the time; Karolina is the only reason I even opened up the thumbnails. The other editorials are totally forgettable. Saying that this magazine is far superior to Vogue etc. is neither here nor there, when even your average fishing magazine probably has better looks and fashion than most mainstream glossies ATM :lol:.

The Italian edition still has a way to go, but it already feels more sophisticated to me, probably due in no small part to Ascoli's keen eye.

Haha— this must be the 2nd time @Zorka is tolerating some typography in her pics posts!

The reign of French Bazaar is undeniable: The confidence, the attitude, the assertiveness, the high fashion. At its best, it’s as if late-90s Helmut Lang, Melanie Ward, Juergen Teller, Louise Bourgeois and Corinne Day decided to produce a fashion publication that’s an elevated relevance for the current fashion times— and still affordable, accessible and attainable :cough:unlike MAS’ Mastermind:cough:

(4 solid fashion stories and 2 accessories stories— for a February issue. The so-called big 4 Vogue can’t even keep up with this for their September and March issues!

Sean Thomas ed is such a lovely emulation of Weber in his glory days. Maybe it's the magic of the layout but I really like it. The rest is not bad but nothing memorable. Main story is a wasted potential, it's not even a story, just random images thrown together.

Sean's is very Bruce-- by way of Emmanuelle's Vogue.

The coverstory does make sense when you view it as its intended spreads. There is a flow in aesthics, of (British) indie youth that’s very early-2000s i-D and mid-2000s Another. It looks and feels like a coffee table book excerpt from Alasdair.

1 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg2 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg3 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg4 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg5 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg6 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg7 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg8 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg9 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg10 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg11 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg12 Harper's_Bazaar_2024_02.jpg

Harper's Bazaar France

FACES
Photography:
Alasdair McLellan
Styling: Élodie David-Touboul
Hair: Anthony Turner
Make-up: Lynsey Alexander
Models: Karolina Spakowski, Lux Gillespie, Max Knott & Vincent Rockins

Wow. I love how versatile Karolina is. She is a true model chameleon in my opinion

It’s a bit boring and expected. It’s a French magazine done by the same people who have the same taste anyway so there’s no surprises and it’s perfectly executed.

So chic. HB France is really one of the few bright stars in a dismal magazine landscape. What in the world is preventing other editions of Vogue and HB to move in this direction?
It’s a Licence owned by Vincent Bolloré ( a French Billionaire grand patron). It’s his first entree into the sector so he opened the tap of cash to have established names and to attract advertisers.
His Media empire is growing and has got a lot of attention in France and French speaking countries in the past decade…

So the situation of HB France is not necessarily the same as Condé Nast. The Bollore’s group fortune does not comes from communication or magazines anyway, it’s a power and influence move while people are struggling at CN.

But it will be interesting to see how this evolve over time because Bazaar is in it first year. It’s not a remarkable title despite the fact that Vogue France has a bit declined in terms of influence.

Haha— this must be the 2nd time @Zorka is tolerating some typography in her pics posts!

The reign of French Bazaar is undeniable: The confidence, the attitude, the assertiveness, the high fashion. At its best, it’s as if late-90s Helmut Lang, Melanie Ward, Juergen Teller, Louise Bourgeois and Corinne Day decided to produce a fashion publication that’s an elevated relevance for the current fashion times— and still affordable, accessible and attainable :cough:unlike MAS’ Mastermind:cough:

(4 solid fashion stories and 2 accessories stories— for a February issue. The so-called big 4 Vogue can’t even keep up with this for their September and March issues!

The coverstory does make sense when you view it as its intended spreads. There is a flow in aesthics, of (British) indie youth that’s very early-2000s i-D and mid-2000s Another. It looks and feels like a coffee table book excerpt from Alasdair.

View attachment 1247017View attachment 1247018View attachment 1247019View attachment 1247020View attachment 1247021View attachment 1247022View attachment 1247023View attachment 1247024View attachment 1247025View attachment 1247026View attachment 1247027View attachment 1247028

Harper's Bazaar France
The fashion photography was quite interesting and dynamic in the spring 2023 issues of Harper's Bazaar France, but then there was a lot of dullness in the fall season. I recently saw the November 2023 issue and it is a pass for me. The February 2024 issue is alive and looks great. Hopefully, it is a sign of the good things to come.

View attachment 1247017View attachment 1247018View attachment 1247019View attachment 1247020View attachment 1247021View attachment 1247022View attachment 1247023View attachment 1247024View attachment 1247025View attachment 1247026View attachment 1247027View attachment 1247028

Harper's Bazaar France
This view makes sense. Karolina is indeed serving FACES here. She has that incredible sort of face that takes well to make up and it moulds into whatever character the make up intends to provoke

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->