Henry Cuir Handbags Durability?

Guessgirl96 said:
Love the bag, mammab :heart: I remember seeing a Henry Cuir bag that had little details on it that made it look like a house, I though it was so adorable.

this one?

henry-house.jpg

mammab - your pics of the bag made my heart skip a beat. It is so gorgeous. you have exquisite taste...

do you (or anyone else) know of any online retailers?

enjoy that bag........

barney's online carries cuir (but a very limited selection) and neiman's online carries beguelin (again, limited)

it looks like you might be able to order from http://www.henrycuir.it and www.henrycuir.jp which is also where i got this info...

THE HISTORY OF HENRI BEGUELIN AND HENRY CUIR

1947HENRI BEGUELIN was born and raised in Rosanne, Switzerland
1968HENRI spent his adolescence playing for a professional Swiss soccer league, Serie A, which had a great influencein his life. There was a big hippie movement in the world around this time.
1969HENRI has a fateful encounter with a harness maker. This marked his starting point as a leatherworker.
1970HENRI moves to Elba, Italy.
1971HENRI opens a craft center-cum-shop in a little corner of a square that overlooks the sea. It was named "HENRY CUIR".
1981 His products were sold at PUPI SOLARI, a shop in Milan. He felt that he'd reached the limit of what he could do on his own so he decided to enlarge his craft center and gathered more workers.
1982 HENRI meets a shoe maker. A comfortable-to-wear moccasin was invented, which later became one of the vital items. HENRI gradually developed his interest in making interior products/furniture such as cushions, mini-tables and chairs. The company gradually expanded.
1985 The first shop opens in Milan. His name was used for the label except the spelling was changed into HENRY BEGUELIN. He has a crucial encounter with BARNEYS NEW YORK. As they were strongly impressed with HENRI's products, BARNEYS displayed them in show windows, which led to the recognition of the label in the American market.
1997 He developed doubts about the direction of the expanding company, and also the way his partner was managing the company. He decided to leave his job.
1998 He launched a new label. As a departure from HENRI BEGUELIN and to restart his creative production, it was appropriate to take the name of the little craft center-cum-shop in Elba, "HENRI CUIR" which was his starting point. "Cuir" means leather in French as well.
In the same year, his first shop opened in Minami Aoyama, Tokyo. His products are also available in some outlets in Europe and Barneys, New York.
1999 Milan store opens.
2002 HENRI CUIR Aoyama flagship store opens in Kotto-dori, Aoyama.
More shops opened in Kyoko, Osaka and Nihonbashi, Tokyo.

Last edited by a moderator:
LilyGirl said:
an SA once explained to me that henry beguelin and henry cuir (pronounced "kware") . . .

I felt so embarrased. At Barneys the SA I was dealing with, was, um, obviously a gay man and of course I had to ask him how Cuir was pronounced. He just kinda giggled and said, it's pronouned "queer"

I wanted to die . . .:doh:

I think I'll stick to calling it via Lily's pronounciation.

mammab said:
I felt so embarrased. At Barneys the SA I was dealing with, was, um, obviously a gay man and of course I had to ask him how Cuir was pronounced. He just kinda giggled and said, it's pronouned "queer"

I wanted to die . . .:doh:

That's too funny MammaB ... I know exactly which SA you are referring to .. he's new and a total sweetheart! Love your new bag! :heart:

NYCmom .. thanks for the history on the maker of the bags .. it's always nice to know the background of the designer! :D

don't be embarassed mammb because "cuir", the french word for leather, is pronounced "queer," not "kware." the SA who gave me the "history" of the line was clearly insane (I trusted him because he sells beguelin at bergdorf's and used to sell cuir at barney's -- hm). the article posted by nycmom makes more sense -- henry must just have two different lines. just goes to show, take what SAs tells you with a HUGE grain of salt.

Thank you nycmom!! :flower: I wonder who's designing for beguilin now, it must be the partner. It's so weird when a designer leaves his/her name behind.

cameo said:
I wonder who's designing for beguilin now, it must be the partner. It's so weird when a designer leaves his/her name behind.

i know, it always seems so strange to me when that happens...

and mammab, i have been pronouncing it "queer" as well so at least you have company!

mammab, do you still use your henri cuir bag? how has it aged? I'm starting to look into them, but there's so little info on them...

also, I love the bluejeans style, but I normallly carry only my wallet, sunglasses, phone, and a few other things. would this bag work just as well when mostly empty? do things tend to get lost in it (when empty and when full)?

TIA for any advice you can give!

i went to this store in tokyo...the leather is amaaaazing..but the prices are so$$$$$!

Does anyone have any more info on these bags? Unfortunately I can't see mammab's pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DC80
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->