How Clean Are Your New Clothes? Harmful Bacteria Found on Many Brand New Clothes

I have severe OCD regarding germs, so this isn't something I particularly enjoyed reading, my hands are sore and scabby enough as it is without me being scared of clothes I buy too!

I work in clubland, and I get so disturbed by girls who leave the toilet without washing their hands. It's disgusting, absolutely vile, and I have no understanding of it...

oh wow. I always wash my undergarment and pants immediately, [i'm just nervous about that type of thing] but I never thought of doing the same with my tops and such. that's so scary.

Right, but.... I bet I come in contact with those same icky germs every day when I'm packed like a sardine with 2039812093 other folks on the subway, sit down in a chair, swipe my credit card, shake hands with someone at work, order lunch, make a phone call, buy fruit at the farmer's market, etc.... it's gross but I think sometimes people are actually just underestimating how many germs are around them constantly and maybe the article is a bit sensationalist.... Plus who's to say that your drycleaner doesn't have dirty hands too????!!?

there's bacteria everywhere but hygiene makes the difference and allows you to not be a transmitor of potentially dangerous bacteria and infections. And it's simple manners, wich are always free and go a long way!

So what? Bacteria is good for the immune system. We're exposed to millions of them every day, so who really cares about this relatively minimal amount of bacteria? 1 hour after showering your entire body is pretty much covered with fecal germs. A few more or less makes no difference. So...whatever.

Do you cover yourself in fecal matter after showering?? I didn't understand that sentence.

And regarding your post, 10,0000% not true.

Yes, there is bacteria that is not harmful and lives in our bodies and wich are good for you, but this flora found in the mouth and intestines and our skin depends on a VERY delicate balance, and not having proper hygiene exposes the body to the balance being altered wich can result in really uncomfortable and nasty illnesses and conditions, as well as really dangerous and sometimes deadly infections.

I always wash bras and underwear and most of the time pants and jeans when I buy them.

I think some of the tops are getting contaminated because people trying them on tuck them into their pants, yes?

Anyway I usually try to sanitize everything wear when I first buy them.

the story seemed to imply that the bacteria may have been acquired from just people trying garments on in the dressing room. :unsure:

i am going to wash my new clothes from now on. if it it is dry clean only im going to try to spray febreeze on them or wipe some areas down with a baby wipe. dry cleaning before wearing would be cost-prohibitive.
you can put dry clean only items in the dryer without damaging them...as long as they stay DRY...don't wet them...just put them in the dryer...
the heat will kill any harmful bacteria...

i don't think fabreze is antibacterial, is it?
it just makes things smell better- like perfume...no?
:unsure:

this is disturbing news indeed...
bleh...:yuk:...:ninja:

Right, but.... I bet I come in contact with those same icky germs every day when I'm packed like a sardine with 2039812093 other folks on the subway, sit down in a chair, swipe my credit card, shake hands with someone at work, order lunch, make a phone call, buy fruit at the farmer's market, etc.... it's gross but I think sometimes people are actually just underestimating how many germs are around them constantly and maybe the article is a bit sensationalist.... Plus who's to say that your drycleaner doesn't have dirty hands too????!!?

i love this post...
so many good points and funny too!....

:D

Ewww! My mother always tells me to wash clothes before I wear them, and I do 98% of the time except for mostly dry clean only things or sometimes when I order something online, but this article is still gross! It makes me want to never try anything on!

Many stores retag and resell USED underwear. nbc did a hidden camera investigation where it shows the retail associates retagging used underwear that is stained with baby oil (some people use it as a lubricant:wink:).

_____

The reporters headed to New Jersey where they purchased dainties and unmentionables at Nordstrom, The Gap, Macy's, Victoria's Secret, Express, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales and J. Crew. They took their purchases home, removed all the tags so they would appear used and made a small identifying mark on each undergarment with a marker. They also stained some of the product with baby oil to see if those would be restocked by the stores.

A week later, it was back to the stores to try returning their purchases. Despite the removed tags, all 8 stores accepted the returns and offered full refunds. Even better, most of them retagged the underwear and placed it back on sale almost immediately.
And as for those baby oil stained items? NBC says the found them on sale again at The Gap, Victoria's Secret, Bloomingdale's and Macy's.
It should be noted that the reporters found no evidence of this at J. Crew or Saks during their investigation.

consumerist.com via nbc

here is the link to the 6 minute long video.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/35659447#35659447

im not sure how to embed the link at TFS. can anyone do that?

^ I just saw that the other morning. It was so gross when the store accepted a return of underwear stained with baby oil. :sick:

I can't imagine anyone buys and wears undies without washing them first but it still skeeves me.

Interesting thread! I have been working retail for ages and yeah, sometimes people who come in and try things on may be sweaty or have a strong body odor or they stink like smoke. Most people aren't smelly but once in a while...:sick:.

I will usually spritz the carpet with perfume after they leave and not let anyone else in that dressing room for a while. But there is nothing you can do about the clothes they tried on. You can hang it in a non-customer area for a while to let it air out, but I mean really, do you expect stores to throw away anything that's been tried on already? I mean just b/c someone isn't smelly doesn't mean they aren't transferring bacteria.

Omigod, and I have to say I HATE it when customers leave unwanted clothing on the floor. You don't need to hand it up, but lay it on the bench or something! Those are brand new clothes and do you know how many people walk on that carpet each day? Ickk! No wonder studies find bacteria on clothing. I'm not surprised...

Also I think the manufacturing process probably brings a lot of that bacteria to garments. Think of how many countries each garment passes through. It could have been in warehouses and on ships with rats and roaches and people who don't wash their hands after the bathroom!:ninja:

I'm use to washing new under garments before wearing them and now I'll wash all articles of new clothing before wearing just to be on the safe side. Yeah I understand bacteria are everywhere I just don't want to get a bad rash or something.

ok from now on i'll wash all garments and not just undergarments before i wear them. yikes what a "horrible" read this was heh heh

That's awful about the 'used' underwear. I didn't think you were allowed to return underwear to shops. Whenever I buy any, they always ask you to check the size before they put it through the till as it can't be returned. I've also seen signs saying underwear and swimwear is non-refundable.

Bad story... :( This will probably sound super conservative but I already dont find the idea of people who are only wearing a thong, trying on pants not too overwhelming...

Apart from that it's probably due to throwing clothes onto the floor, not washing hands after using the bathroom, trying on clothes when you're really sweaty.. And of course returning things you have actually already worn, I'd never do that!!

I had two really bad experiences at pimkie (yes, I used to shop there when I was like 13/14 which is a long time ago by now...)Once there was a used tampon in the changing room, once someone had urinated in the changig room while trying clothes on... And there was no warning, no whatsoever, I almost stepped into it. Of course I felt sorry for the sales women, but it's their job.... And I dont want to imagine, how clean, bacteriawise the changing rooms were in both cases, even after cleaning up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eisabeth
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->