How do you choose a hairdresser?

Yasmin

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of money to spend on a haircut, but I'm willing to spend what it takes for a decent one.

I've never been to one of those cheap ones on the corner or a "Top Cuts" or something like that, so how do I know they will do a bad job? Has anyone else been to them?

I am in Toronto. Is there anyone here that people recommend?

Last time, I went to Micheal Kluthe Salon to a Junior Stylist that was recommended. She did a pretty good job but my hair was not as "choppy" as I wanted, or as in the photos I showed her. (and since I wasn't sure if that was a cut or style issue I asked her how I could make it more choppy, and I don't think she understood) That cut costs $22. Basically I am looking for the traditional Aniston layered look but with the ends kind of blunt and different lengths to give it an edgy kind of feel, as opposed to a soft and blended look (does that make sense?)

You could get a Salon ($40) Master ($50) Artistic ($75) or Director ($80) stylist there but is it really worth the price difference? The next step up is just about double, and I don't have recommendations about any of them.

Anyone been to MK? Or how about a similar salon with this kind of tiering, how do you know your "Artistic" stylist cut is really worth more than 3x someone's "Junior" stylist cut? Or do you just hope you didn't get fleeced...?

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont have that problem. Ive had the same hairdresser all my life. She knows my hair and what i like and thats fabulous. hope you find someone you trust! x

Whoever cuts my hair without saying 'You have too much hair' or 'It's really too thick for what you want!'

Try and get a recommendation, or even ask someone on the street who's got a haircut you like where they got it done!

I started going to Toni and Guy because I heard good things about them, and they have a pretty strict training course....and they're great :D

i just go to the £5 place in soho - but i leave a good tip...

Go by recommendation. It is the simply best way.
"Spy" on the place and check out people walking out ...
Avoid cheap places, the kind where people do and order "a haircut" and gets the one style of the place ...

And dont trust brands. Toni and Guy once gave me a seriously lame cut (I said layers; the shortest hair came about four centimeters over the longest, I was looking for a diff of about 15 cm ... and how difficult is it to understand "V-shaped in the back"? I got a U-shape, that changed to a heart-shape when i complained...finally they brought in the "creative director" or whatever and after three hours in the place I had an acceptable, but not wow, haircut.)

Try finding someone passionate about their work, that still understands that _they are working for you_, not the other way around with you as their personal hairmodel for experiments.

Talk to the person who will cut you. If you dont seem to be on the same page, walk out.

Me, I choose a two hour flight over letting someone in my current country of residence come near my hair with a pair of scissors - noone here has great hair and I have had enough bad experiences. Everyone with good cuts that I ask about their hairdressers also go elsewhere ... :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->