How To Cut Your Own Bangs

dont cut it wet!!!! i did that and when it finally dried it was way too short

Originally posted by just Anna@Dec 7 2004, 09:19 PM
dont cut it wet!!!! i did that and when it finally dried it was way too short
[snapback]455526[/snapback]​
:ninja: Same... :unsure:
I've been thinking of recutting mine lately.

yeah me too. but i dont know.. i like it this way as well and it takes such a long time for those bangs to grow again

i just trimmed my long bangs short on my own. i did it dry, they look great! i left a few stragglers that are long (not intentionally) but it looks kind of cool.

this may sound so weird to some off you but do not cut your hair when its dry first because it can cause major split ends and your hair starts to grow back wayyy slower so cutting wet is your best option but make SURE you never cut too short

My advice is to make the first cut in the hairdresser... that's what I did - after that, I always cut them myself, and it comes out great...
I always cut them dry! :wink:

do not cut your hair when its dry first because it can cause major split ends and your hair starts to grow back wayyy slower
:huh:
Cutting the ends of your hair has absolutely nothing to do with the roots of you hair - thus, does not effect the rate of hair growth whatsoever. I also highly doubt it causes split ends, in fact trimming is what gets rid of split ends.

Ladies, please do not cut your own fringe. You will become one of the many who go into the salon and expect your stylist to make them grow back.

But if you must. Some tips.

1. Cut your fringe dry. As others have already said, if your hair is cut wet, it will spring up when it's dry. The amount it jumps depends on your individual growth patterns/texture/porosity etc.

2. If you're doing a straight fringe, make sure to leave the length longer at the sides and shorter in the middle. It will seem like you're cutting an Arch. This is because your hairline/face shape is not completely straight or flat. If you cut a straight line, it will end up rounded at the sides, and longer in the middle.

hehe... i want bangs but i'm still having doubts

would anyone mind to show some pictures of before and after cuts?

Then, take the hair in your hands and twist in one direction. Not tight enough to curl up and cut across the twist with sharp shears ( <--- I think that is super impt)

This method really worked for me. The bangs are not too rigid and straight across, but not so choppy that they can still look precise and slick if brushed to the side.

I don't cut my own bangs but I have heard this tip before so just wanted to second it. Also I have heard that you will get a better blend of the ends if you hold the scissors vertically when you cut (like perpendicular to your eyebrows, not parallel to them) and use a lot of tiny snips instead of a large snip. It will make it less flat and more blended.

I trim my own bangs all the time but I'd discourage cutting a fresh fringe yourself... when I do trim my bangs I make sure I use very delicate, very sharp scissors and trim only a tiny, tiny amount at a time. And I always cut dry. Go slow, be patient, and don't get too insanely obsessed about even-ness, otherwise you'll keep cutting and cutting until *POOF* way too short!!!

Has anyone tried using this? http://www.fringekit.com/

I think it just looks gimmicky but no i haven't tried it. It's $35 for the package and it includes a comb, cape, mirror, shears, instructions and guide tape. I think most people already have a mirror and comb; I don't think you need a cape for trimming your bangs; and instructions/tips can be found online for free. I don't know what the guide tape is for. I would save your money and just buy the good scissors if you don't already have some.

!! i love this thread, hahahah.
i've had bangs all my life, and let me tell you, i've had some miserable bangs trims over the years.
i like to cut them, nowadays, when they're down past my eyes and dry.
i alllways make sure that the sections of bangs along the sides (not within the eyebrow end to other eyebrow end range) are longer than the rest, and i cut diagonally with a small scissor at the tips.
nevvvver ever ever do i cut across anymore unless they're ridiculously long and hard to manage. i find that diagonal cutting is a lot easier since it doesn't chop off too much too quickly, and you have more control over how much hair is going into the sink. :wink:

It's already been stressed at the top of this page but,

Do not cut your bangs wet. They dry and they will dry shorter than you expected. :ninja:

I always cut mine dry, using manicure scissors. This way I can feather the bangs out a bit, and it always works well. I've heard that if you have really blunt bangs, using a strip of masking tape across the bangs gives a guide so you can cut them really straight.

Growing up, I had the full out bangs. I remember one day deciding that I no longer wanted them so.... I cut them at the root. :lol: I had to wear a thick headband over the sprouting 'bangs' while they regrew.

2 years ago I got my full bangs put in for the first time since I was younger. I love them and trim them myself now (not at the root!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->