How do you clean makeup brushes?

Sylphide

Reaction score
How do you clean sable makeup brushes? I know you can buy specific solutions but is this necessary? Will shampoo or plain old soap damage them? How often should they be cleaned? Thanks! :flower:

When I bought mine I was told to clean it with shampoo and luke-warm water. That´s what I´ve done so far and my brushes haven´t been damaged as far as I can see. Hope that helps :flower:

Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo. It not only cheap but it realy works beautifully. Cleans them better than anything else I tried and leaves them as soft as can be

Depends on the brush, but mostly I use baby shampoo; for brushes like foundatio and lips, dishwasher is the magic cleanser! I wash my brushes once a week, but foundation brush everyday or every other day.

I cleanse my brushes once a week with MAC's brush cleanser.

Im a freak with brushes, so I freshen them up every day with a solution of water, a little bit of soap and a tab of rubbing alcohol, in a spray bottle, and after each use I spray them and wipe the excess makeup off the brushes.

Then once a month I dip them in hair conditioner for 10 minutes and wash them dry.

Stupid question: how do you guys clean your brushes every day? After applying say blush, do you soak the brush with water to let it dry?

I used to use baby shampoo, but it was so oily it got stuck and began to smell. :yuk:

Now I use Dove shampoo (just cause it's what I use on my hair). But I want MAC's cleaner. Then you're supposed to let them hang over the edge of a counter to air dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually wash them in warm soapy water, just plain liquid hand soap, wash that out then put a tiny bit of conditioner on the ends so they last longer, then let them dry

pinkpolo said:
Stupid question: how do you guys clean your brushes every day? After applying say blush, do you soak the brush with water to let it dry?

It is not necessary to clean them everyday, once or twice a week is enough even if you use your brushes everyday. DO NOT soak your brushes in water, it loosens the glue, your hair will fall out!

To clean brush with a specialized cleanser (i.e. MAC), just spray it on your brush, then take a piece of tissue, lightly rub the brush against the tissue to get the pigment off. This is the method to get pigments off the brush after each use.
With shampoo, rinse your brush under luke-warm water, take a drop of shampoo, swirl the hair in your palm with the shampoo, until the brush is clean, rinse + air dry.

When you air dry your brushes, make sure you DO NOT put them up side down, because that way, the water will be soaked by the glue, and hair will shed. You must lay them flat on the table, usually overnight. But for eye brushes, 2-3 hours will be enough to dry up, with powder brushes, it is safer to go overnight.

Ah, thanks Couture_Tribe! I knew something was a bit off with cleaning brushes every day. So 1 or 2 times a week should do the trick even when I use the brush every day and it won't be "dirty" or heavy with pigment?

I wash mine nearly every time, except my powder blush brush. It just feels kind of gross otherwise. Will it wear them out to wash them more frequently?

pinkpolo said:
Ah, thanks Couture_Tribe! I knew something was a bit off with cleaning brushes every day. So 1 or 2 times a week should do the trick even when I use the brush every day and it won't be "dirty" or heavy with pigment?
You do not need to, even you use it everyday. I know there are a few times when you want to get the pigment off, just use some spray brush cleanser for that.

:P

after I use them in them morning, I fill up a cylinder of shampoo (whatever there is nearby) and let them soak til I get home- which is usually 10 hours later. Then I triple rinse them and lay them flat to dry til the never morning.

I just use antibacterial hand soap. I also use synthetic brushes because I find they absorb less makeup than natural hair ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->