Into The Past

Evening dress. Pierre Balmain, c.1956.
Nora E. Vaughan, who wore this dress, appeared on all the Canadian best-dressed lists. She was married to the Vice-President of Eaton’s and was an active volunteer, especially at the Art Gallery of Toronto and the ROM, where she served as a Board member. She dressed in couture from the 1920s until the late 1970s.
Gift of Mrs. Gerald Gray from the estate of Mrs. O. D. Vaughan

Posting this dress is enough. The influence is obvious today.

Ghesquiere for Balenciaga 'Le Dix' Spring 2002

100053500.jpg

Ignitioned.. you should begin a book and do a comparative study of inspired fashions of the modern century!!! It's amazing how you found these pics looking so similar.. i would've never hav known!!

Originally posted by versace@May 17th, 2004 - 6:58 am
Ignitioned.. you should begin a book and do a comparative study of inspired fashions of the modern century!!! It's amazing how you found these pics looking so similar.. i would've never hav known!!
Thank you. :flower:

backwards n then forwards, n it ends up we r just living in one big circle
even the designers of old, used references from their past...
dior's new look was inspired by edwardian gentlemen's clothing!

I prefer designs from different inspiration other then past fashions anyway.
Like Hussein Chalayan, table, plane structure inspiration etc
Even a recent collection from Helmut Lang was inspired by dragonfly... sooo cute!!

For better or worse, fashion is constantly inspired by it's past, your posts exemplefied that very well Igni :clap: . Personally I think it's a necessary part of fashion. Designers are constantly improving or elaborating upon the work of past designers which in a sense makes the ideas and techniques feel new again. The past is unavoidable, in whatever form it takes, from ancient Egypt to vintage Balenciaga somehow works it's way back into modern fashion which I think is part of what makes fashion exciting.

Originally posted by FoxyC@May 17th, 2004 - 10:18 am
I prefer designs from different inspiration other then past fashions anyway.
Like Hussein Chalayan, table, plane structure inspiration etc
Even a recent collection from Helmut Lang was inspired by dragonfly... sooo cute!!
Could you possibly find me some pics of that inspiration!! I'd love to see how they design clothes that are inspired by planes and that!!! It would be interesting!!

Day dress. Jean Dessès, c. 1946.
This asymmetrical dress has an extraordinarily complex and unorthodox construction that could only be worked out and fabricated in a couture atelier, as it would be too complex and time-consuming for mass production. The tight fit and slim cut of the skirt would require perfect posture and controlled movement.
Gift of Mrs. O. D. Vaughan

Coat. Jacques Fath, 1953
This coat is loosely based on a historical 18th century style redingote, and has menswear detailing in the inside pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->