Apple's iPhone

^Very true actually...

Plus 1000$ us without a plan is a bit harsh.. :|

they have two different iPhones and the ONLY difference is the size.
one is a 4GB and the other an 8GB.

my hubby & I both purchased a 4GB because we have like 30 GB of music....so we knew our growing music collection wouldn't fit onto our phones....we have our iPods ( 1 60GB & 1 30G:cool: for that....

Last edited by a moderator:
It really makes no sense to me why they would make them have such little harddrives. I thought these were going to be the ultimate iPod, but they barely hold anything!

^not to mention the amount of memory that pictures, videos, e-mail, web browsing, etc. is going to take up. I think in an attempt to keep prices at least SLIGHTLY lower, they grossly underestimated how much memory will be needed on this device. I think I am really over it, which kind of depresses me as an avid Apple supporter. (I am, however, glad that my Apple stock is up $5 today because of it :lol:).

I can't believe the buzz! All of the celebrities are showing off their iPhones too!

PC World Editors Sat Jun 30, 6:00 AM ET

10 Things Apple Did Right in the iPhone
The display, the display, the display. Everything looks good on it. The menu design: It's simple and clean, and the home screen icons look like so much eye candy. Fingertip navigation, zooming and scrolling that's intuitive, effective and fast. Video playback that's so good you can tell when you've done a sub-par job of ripping your movies. Visual voicemail lets you get to the calls you care about faster. Great integrated applications, including Google Maps, YouTube, and a world clock that packs a timer, stopwatch and multiple alarms. Cover Flow. It's incredibly fun to choose your music by visually flipping through album art. It's tough: Our initial stress tests suggest that the iPhone is more durable than you might expect for such a sleek handset. The first Apple music player with a built-in speaker--and it's not half bad for a phone. No disconcerting "do not disconnect" messages when syncing with a PC.

10 Things They Did Wrong
We want our AOL Instant Messaging--and Yahoo and MSN IM clients, too. What about MMS support for sending picture mail? No voice recording--and more importantly, no voice dialing support. How are you supposed to use an iPhone with a hands-free car kit? It's the most locked-down phone we've ever seen. Not only can you not swap out the AT&T SIM card for one from another network, you can't even swap it out for another AT&T SIM card. AT&T is building out its mobile broadband network, but iPhone users are stuck with older EDGE technology--or battery-consuming Wi-Fi. You know those great headphones you already own? They won't fit the iPhones headset jack, so your first iPhone accessory will be a bulky, ugly $10 adapter. The software keyboard invites typos--but when you're entering passwords there's no way of telling whether you've got them right. It's great that the iPhone can reorient pages in Safari, CoverFlow, and the photo album, but why not extend that capability to other apps such as e-mail? Some messages could benefit from a widescreen display. And even when it does reorient, it doesn't always follow through with all features: CoverFlow loses access to the volume slider, for example. No support for custom ringtones, surprising in a music phone. The camera's rudimentary, with no audio/video or even zoom capability. No to-do list support, a basic in most calendar applications.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070630/t...GX.P36HlUsDW7oF

* Although it has a 2 megapixel camera, you CANNOT record video clips

* Although it’s being marketed as web device with the “real internet” with a “real browser” (Apple Safari), it DOES NOT SUPPORT FLASH, which is used on tons and tons of websites out there.

* Although you can watch up to 10,000 videos on YouTube, you CANNOT VIEW ANY AND ALL VIDEOS FROM YOUTUBE.

* Although you may be able to use Meebo or other sites as a work around for Instant Messaging, the iPhone DOES NOT SUPPORT INSTANT MESSAGING

* Although it is an iPod, and although you can use a bluetooth headset for calls, the iPhone DOES NOT SUPPORT STEREO MUSIC STREAMING THROUGH BLUETOOTH HEADSETS, even if you have have the Jawbone or any other bluetooth headset capable of doing that with a A2DP supported phone.

* free rington offerYou CANNOT LOAD YOUR OWN 3RD PARTY PROGRAMS onto the iPod. Classic Apple DNA, only proprietary, approved applications may be released by Apple (probably for a fee through iTunes!)

* You won’t be able to sit in line and pull out your iPhone to play games, because the iPhone DOES NOT HAVE ANY GAMES. Games from the iTunes store are not compatible.

* Although you can fill it up with 8 GIGS worth of mp3 songs from iTunes, you CANNOT CUSTOMIZE YOUR RINGTONES WITH MP3 SONGS

* Although it has the “most advanced” interface using your fingers and the touch-screen, you CANNOT USE VOICE COMMANDS OR VOICE RECOGNITION OR VOICE DIALING.

* The keyboard supposedly isn’t a real bother after you get used to it, but TYPING PERIODS AND COMMAS ARE A PAIN IN THE NECK, requiring you to go to a 2nd screen each time. Given that you use a period or comma in almost every sentence you type, this is NOT CONVENIENT.

* Even though it has a 2 Megapixel camera, you CANNOT SEND PICS TO OTHER CELL PHONES VIA MMS PICTURE MESSAGING.

* You CANNOT FREELY USE THE iPHONE ON OTHER CONTINENTS WITH SIM CARDS - you are restricted to AT&T international roaming networks only.

* You CANNOT DOWNLOAD OR ACCESS ITUNES DIRECTLY from the iPhone, you always have to do it through you PC or Mac’s iTunes program and then sync files.

* You CANNOT USE IT AS A MODEM like you can with the Samsung Blackjack and my Sony Vaio laptop.

* The iPhone CANNOT GET REAL-TIME GPS MAPPING like you can on the Blackberry 8800 because it is NOT GPS enabled

* You CANNOT GO ON VACATION OR ROAD TRIP WITHOUT YOUR CHARGER because it doesn’t have a removeable battery, so you cannot use multiple batteries as back-up or spare

* blockbuster FREE trialYou CANNOT LOAD MORE THAN 4GB or 8GB worth of video, music, audio, documents, contacts, email, etc because there is NO REMOVEABLE STORAGE CARD supported

* The iPhone CANNOT SURF THE WEB AS FAST AS MOST COMPETITOR PHONES like the 3G Blackjack or Blackberry because it does not support 3G (i.e. The NYTimes Site took almost 1 full minute to download).

* You CANNOT CONNECT TO ALL iPOD DOCKS AND CONNECTORS currently out there - most will work, and a upgrade may be in the works, but for now, you may have to buy yet another accessory to connect the iPhone to speakers, car radio, etc.

* About connections, not all earplugs/headsets will fit into the jack since it’s reported to be a extra deep connection. Some accessory manufacturers are going to sell $40 adaptors just to get their standard earphone jacks to work with the iPhone properly. Be ready to add $40 to your purchase price!

* You CANNOT WALK OUT OF THE STORE WITH A WORKING iPHONE - you’ll have to go home and activate it through iTunes.com

* Since the iPhone DOES NOT HAVE A REMOVEABLE BATTERY, and the expected life is 300-400 charges, you’ll HAVE TO SHIP IT TO APPLE TO REPLACE THE BATTERY EVERY YEAR OR TWO just like iPods. Who wants to be separated from their smart phone for a week every year or two AND have to pay for it!

* Intelligent keyboard and all, but you CANNOT COPY/PASTE ANYTHING! That’s called a sin of omission.

* Oh yeah, you HAVE TO LITERALLY PAY AT LEAST $2196+ FOR THE iPHONE for your 2 year contract. That’s a lot for a cell phone, no?

http://www.essistme.com/2007/06/27/20-real...f-apple-iphone/

I think it's kinda silly to rush out and buy the 4 and 8GB iPhones... Just wait a year, and they'll be 30GB for the same price as they are now most likely and all the kinks will be worked out!

But, they are super-cool and I can totally understand why people would want one ASAP. :wink:

I don't understand the hype. Sure, they're sleek and Apple designed them, but many other phones do some of the things that the iPhone does, and many of the features are unnecessary in my mind. Seems like buyers are a bit scammed of their money to me.

Wow, the iphones sound kind of crap. If I get a phone I have a list of requirements (no phone has matched them yet, only Japanese ones)

1) Easy text input, copy and paste function, large clipboard, huge storage for texts
2) Sleek to-do and calendar function
3) Sleek address book
4) Ability to customise GUI from computer/inbuilt functions

I don't really want it to do anything else. I just want it to do those things very well. I also want a huge battery life.

I played around with an iPhone at the Apple store yesterday and was underwhelmed. To me, there would be more cons than pros; a major one is that it's difficult to use the keyboard (the spaces for each letter are quite narrow, so it's easy to press the wrong one). Not to mention, the screen would become incredibly greasy with the combination of holding it to your ear and touching it with your fingers.

I want to wait until the IPhone comes in other colors- it will probably be a year before that happens but I before to wait because I would like it to match my hot pink nano.

my bf wants to buy one (once it will be out in France and it's def. NOT tomorrow... as Apple asks for a lot of things...) but honestly it looks sh**!!!
i'm mailing him this
* Although it has a 2 megapixel camera, you CANNOT record video clips

* Although it’s being marketed as web device with the “real internet” with a “real browser” (Apple Safari), it DOES NOT SUPPORT FLASH, which is used on tons and tons of websites out there.

* Although you can watch up to 10,000 videos on YouTube, you CANNOT VIEW ANY AND ALL VIDEOS FROM YOUTUBE.

* Although you may be able to use Meebo or other sites as a work around for Instant Messaging, the iPhone DOES NOT SUPPORT INSTANT MESSAGING

* Although it is an iPod, and although you can use a bluetooth headset for calls, the iPhone DOES NOT SUPPORT STEREO MUSIC STREAMING THROUGH BLUETOOTH HEADSETS, even if you have have the Jawbone or any other bluetooth headset capable of doing that with a A2DP supported phone.

* free rington offerYou CANNOT LOAD YOUR OWN 3RD PARTY PROGRAMS onto the iPod. Classic Apple DNA, only proprietary, approved applications may be released by Apple (probably for a fee through iTunes!)

* You won’t be able to sit in line and pull out your iPhone to play games, because the iPhone DOES NOT HAVE ANY GAMES. Games from the iTunes store are not compatible.

* Although you can fill it up with 8 GIGS worth of mp3 songs from iTunes, you CANNOT CUSTOMIZE YOUR RINGTONES WITH MP3 SONGS

* Although it has the “most advanced” interface using your fingers and the touch-screen, you CANNOT USE VOICE COMMANDS OR VOICE RECOGNITION OR VOICE DIALING.

* The keyboard supposedly isn’t a real bother after you get used to it, but TYPING PERIODS AND COMMAS ARE A PAIN IN THE NECK, requiring you to go to a 2nd screen each time. Given that you use a period or comma in almost every sentence you type, this is NOT CONVENIENT.

* Even though it has a 2 Megapixel camera, you CANNOT SEND PICS TO OTHER CELL PHONES VIA MMS PICTURE MESSAGING.

* You CANNOT FREELY USE THE iPHONE ON OTHER CONTINENTS WITH SIM CARDS - you are restricted to AT&T international roaming networks only.

* You CANNOT DOWNLOAD OR ACCESS ITUNES DIRECTLY from the iPhone, you always have to do it through you PC or Mac’s iTunes program and then sync files.

* You CANNOT USE IT AS A MODEM like you can with the Samsung Blackjack and my Sony Vaio laptop.

* The iPhone CANNOT GET REAL-TIME GPS MAPPING like you can on the Blackberry 8800 because it is NOT GPS enabled

* You CANNOT GO ON VACATION OR ROAD TRIP WITHOUT YOUR CHARGER because it doesn’t have a removeable battery, so you cannot use multiple batteries as back-up or spare

* blockbuster FREE trialYou CANNOT LOAD MORE THAN 4GB or 8GB worth of video, music, audio, documents, contacts, email, etc because there is NO REMOVEABLE STORAGE CARD supported

* The iPhone CANNOT SURF THE WEB AS FAST AS MOST COMPETITOR PHONES like the 3G Blackjack or Blackberry because it does not support 3G (i.e. The NYTimes Site took almost 1 full minute to download).

* You CANNOT CONNECT TO ALL iPOD DOCKS AND CONNECTORS currently out there - most will work, and a upgrade may be in the works, but for now, you may have to buy yet another accessory to connect the iPhone to speakers, car radio, etc.

* About connections, not all earplugs/headsets will fit into the jack since it’s reported to be a extra deep connection. Some accessory manufacturers are going to sell $40 adaptors just to get their standard earphone jacks to work with the iPhone properly. Be ready to add $40 to your purchase price!

* You CANNOT WALK OUT OF THE STORE WITH A WORKING iPHONE - you’ll have to go home and activate it through iTunes.com

* Since the iPhone DOES NOT HAVE A REMOVEABLE BATTERY, and the expected life is 300-400 charges, you’ll HAVE TO SHIP IT TO APPLE TO REPLACE THE BATTERY EVERY YEAR OR TWO just like iPods. Who wants to be separated from their smart phone for a week every year or two AND have to pay for it!

* Intelligent keyboard and all, but you CANNOT COPY/PASTE ANYTHING! That’s called a sin of omission.

* Oh yeah, you HAVE TO LITERALLY PAY AT LEAST $2196+ FOR THE iPHONE for your 2 year contract. That’s a lot for a cell phone, no?

and for the record in France we always travel with our chargers...you, americans, are weird... we have removable batteries but i never know you can buy tons of it just not to take the charger!!!!

i'm going to wait for the next version of the iPhone.
it's definitely the best phone out there, but it still has issues.

^ Exactly that is why someone shouldnt buy it right away.
sure it is a hot new gadget but they are still working it out, why rush to be the very first person to have it, does it matter that much? I would rather wait until they have developed it more and they have it worked out.

sigh...there's no use in China area.....

I want to have one~~~~~When do you think Apple will lauch in China?

I have read somewhere that the iPhone is scheduled to launch in Asia in late 2008..if talks with the Asian telcos go through, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->