Is working in the fashion industry associated with increased risk of suicide?

In the wake of Alexander McQueen and the model rash of model deaths, I don't think that suicide in fashion is something that us unheard of. Is every individual case of suicide well documented, no, but I think this is something that has happened enough that we know it is an issue.
I agree. We don't hear about every suicide that ever happens. We hear about fashion related suicides because there is a level of fame involved and as fashion followers we are particularly sensitive to it. It makes a good news story to talk about the beautiful and successful model dying, but ignores the fact that depression affects all walks of life. Having a great career (or a terrible career) doesn't make someone immune.

I just got around to reading the April issue of Vogue (Gisele on cover) I believe it was where they printed excerpts from Kim Noorda's diary? Here she is a very established and well known model who's been working for these designers for years, and to read about how she's treated ... honestly, I hope all the people who were mean to her read it and were well and truly ashamed of themselves.

I have certainly dealt with my share of jackasses at work over the years ... but it was never about my looks and my health. It was never anything like that personal. Then when you add in the fact that these girls are so young when they start ... and really still so young when they finish. And that what gets them strokes at work is likely to also be compromising their health--perhaps more so the older they get. I believe Kim is 23 ... that's still a baby--not in the modeling world, but in real adult terms. I got my first real job doing what I do now when I was 23.

If you haven't read that article ... you really should.

There's something really misogynistic and dangerous about this skeletal ideal.

I don't think they are associated. Working in the fashion industry may be stressful and lonely but I think depression is a very individualised mental disorder and I don't think you can look at these people and say that their involvement in the industry was the reason they committed suicide. I don't think that pointing fingers helps in cases like this either, if we want to identify a problem with their suicides we should be looking at the high numbers of suicide and depression in general and getting better treatment for those affected.
I also think that there is certainly more media coverage of suicides in the fashion industry because like someone else said it makes a good news story to talk about the demise of a beautiful model or a successful designer. This doesn't necessarily mean that depression is more prevalent in the industry, it just means there is more coverage of it.

I just got around to reading the April issue of Vogue (Gisele on cover) I believe it was where they printed excerpts from Kim Noorda's diary? Here she is a very established and well known model who's been working for these designers for years, and to read about how she's treated ... honestly, I hope all the people who were mean to her read it and were well and truly ashamed of themselves.

I have certainly dealt with my share of jackasses at work over the years ... but it was never about my looks and my health. It was never anything like that personal. Then when you add in the fact that these girls are so young when they start ... and really still so young when they finish. And that what gets them strokes at work is likely to also be compromising their health--perhaps more so the older they get. I believe Kim is 23 ... that's still a baby--not in the modeling world, but in real adult terms. I got my first real job doing what I do now when I was 23.

If you haven't read that article ... you really should.

There's something really misogynistic and dangerous about this skeletal ideal.
I provide the link for those who are interested in read it: http://www.vogue.com/feature/2010/03/kim-noorda/. Thanks fashionista-ta :flower:.

I think the depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts start with the person and while working/studying fashion their can be this competitive nature where someone is not doing as up to par as someone else and they are being belittled for it their insecurity can get the best of them, I have seen a lot of this.. While this happens in every industry, I think the fashion industry being sometimes severe and cold to others can heighten the depression, anxiety and suicide. It is trivial at times that a person of higher stature can treat someone of lowly stature in very disrespectfully, and it is accepted. Especially in the time of work and people being busy, words can really get to you.. then they become ingrained in your heart and mind which only takes a turn for the worst. There is also that incredible hunger to be accepted amongst peers who are also working/studying in fashion. So a lot of young men and women adopt the idea that starving is okay and eating less is always better.. It is actually encouraged a lot of the times. They adopt the idea that having eating disorders are trendy without realizing the physical and psychological problems in the present and future. In my opinion, most people in this day and age get started in fashion because they are incredibly insecure and are looking for a creative outlet to forget all of the anger and irritation in their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they are associated. Working in the fashion industry may be stressful and lonely but I think depression is a very individualised mental disorder and I don't think you can look at these people and say that their involvement in the industry was the reason they committed suicide. I don't think that pointing fingers helps in cases like this either, if we want to identify a problem with their suicides we should be looking at the high numbers of suicide and depression in general and getting better treatment for those affected.
I also think that there is certainly more media coverage of suicides in the fashion industry because like someone else said it makes a good news story to talk about the demise of a beautiful model or a successful designer. This doesn't necessarily mean that depression is more prevalent in the industry, it just means there is more coverage of it.

One thing that could lead to that models, in particular, would be at a greater risk of suicide/depression etc, would be the age at which they are picked. For most high pressure professions there are years of studying, testing etc, before you are actually accepted as a professional. This functions to give the individual a skill that they will retain. If someone tries to become a physician or a scientist but has a terrible memory - they simply will not succeed. They wont even get the degree, in fact. However, with models, they can simply be tall and have a growth spurt at 14, be scouted and then they are professionals and their number one requirement is to be very thin - something the agencies know little about their propensity for because they just snagged them in a growth phase.

So the risk for a model not being in the right place, in the sense that she is in a place where she risks falling behind and live with constant struggle and disappointment, is probably greater than for the average person.

I think it's not as black-and-white as "fashion makes people more prone to committing suicide!", but the conditions under which many fashion professionals work (extreme competitiveness, and for models the pressure to remain thin/book work/put up with any ill-treatment they get, often when they're extremely young) probably exacerbate feelings of depression or loneliness, and people like Daul Kim or Alexander McQueen- who were true creatives and really engaged with the world around them on a different level, and I'm saying this despite Daul's young age- are sometimes prone to feelings of isolation and sadness, and to self-destructive tendencies.

I can't really say it's specific to fashion, though. People from all walks of life kill themselves, sadly- it's really not about what field they worked in.

Thank you luxx, I totally agree. When my father was diagnosed with depression, he hi self even did not necessarily treat as say someone with cancer might have mainly because of the way society as a whole treats mental illness. The insurance plan he had would only cover a week or so in treatment center, and therefore less than two weeks after an attempt was made by him to die, he was sent home. I read through a lot of his files after he died and I cannot for the life of me see how a trained physician could pronounce him well. This was a good insurance plan too, imagine some of these young girls who have no money , the resources they have access too. Imagine an industry where perfection is demanded, you're already the girl with the slightly too big hips, and now you're "crazy" too? It's heart wrenching really.

Thank you luxx, I totally agree. When my father was diagnosed with depression, he hi self even did not necessarily treat as say someone with cancer might have mainly because of the way society as a whole treats mental illness. The insurance plan he had would only cover a week or so in treatment center, and therefore less than two weeks after an attempt was made by him to die, he was sent home. I read through a lot of his files after he died and I cannot for the life of me see how a trained physician could pronounce him well. This was a good insurance plan too, imagine some of these young girls who have no money , the resources they have access too. Imagine an industry where perfection is demanded, you're already the girl with the slightly too big hips, and now you're "crazy" too? It's heart wrenching really.

I'm really sorry for the effects of this in your life, chanel :heart:

As we all know, suicidal tendencies are every bit as life-threatening as cancer, maybe more ...

Do you mind my asking if this was before or after the mental health parity legislation that's recently been passed?

I don't think that working in the fashion industry will make a person more likely to commit suicide, however I do think that working in such a competitive, judgmental, and vain industry is likely to make one more self-conscious. As human beings, we are prone to self-judgment. We don't like this or that about ourselves and I think that's normal, but I would imagine that those judgments that we place on our appearance or on ourselves would only grow in an industry that places such an emphasis on... perfection. The fashion industry thrives on the unattainable -- **Edited**, the perfect bone structure, the perfect wardrobe or outfit. There certainly are a few people who break down and who, sadly, commit suicide because they can't handle the pressure. But, I think it's more about the individual's ability to withstand the critical nature of the fashion industry.

^ you have very valid points there. Self-love, self confidence etc.. Its so important, and there are times when one may forget that when exposed to a seemingly perfect world.

I am really interested in finding out more about Wallis Franken Montana; does anyone know any good sources as to where I might look? I've done the basic "google" search and have read the "Death by Design" Vanity Fair article. Thanks. :flower:

^^ have you checked out our montana thread here?
there was some stuff about it posted there if i remember rightly...

Thanks! I checked in the 3 threads in the "Designers &Collections" section as well as the one thread in "Remembrance of Things Past," but I didn't really find anything much about his wife in any of those Montana threads.

^ Could you get in touch with the author of the Vanity Fair article? Believe I remember reading that ... they are usually pretty exhaustive.

I hadn't thought of trying to contact the writer. Thanks for the suggestion :flower:.

Yes, the VF article is very detailed, and it does delve into some of Ms. Montana's past life, prior to her marriage to "the designer" and her ensuing defenestration.

However, I still want to read more about her.

In Grace Coddington's memoir, she writes about Wallis Franken's early modelling career, and the VF article touches on Wallis' first marriage (prior to Montana she was married to a race-car driver), their family's bohemian lifestyle, the birth of her children, etc.

But I'd love to read a full biography, if there is one. I need to do a little more digging.

^Thank you, that is one sad list. And I'm pretty sure it does not look any better for the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->