J.W. Anderson X Uniqlo

Omg, except a piece here and there, it's really quite mainstream! Dare I say very cheap-looking. This stuff you can find literally anywhere. Can't believe people are not only excited about this, but also hoping to buy into it.

I had to double check the link to make sure we are looking at the same stuff...

Omg, except a piece here and there, it's really quite mainstream! Dare I say very cheap-looking. This stuff you can find literally anywhere. Can't believe people are not only excited about this, but also hoping to buy into it.

I had to double check the link to make sure we are looking at the same stuff...

But that's very much what Uniqlo is doing, generic wardrobe staples. It's not the place where you go to get overtly fashionable stuff at, and they choose their designer collaborations usually based on the brief that it fits with their product ethos and not the other way around, like when H&M tapped Balmain to re-issue their archive through them - No surprise then that Jil Sander and Christophe Lemaire work(ed) for Uniqlo and that turned out a huge success.

I know what kind of quality Uniqlo can deliver and it's quite outstanding at the price, really. I'm sure this will be more or less on par with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the knitwear pieces a lot. It's interesting that it's branded with his logo. I've not seen these collaborations come so emblazoned with the designer's mainline logo before.

I'll be wanting a cable knit and the fish knit I feel. I can live without most of it however.

I'm a huge JW fan but there is nothing I desire from this menswear collab... Womenswear has a few interesting pieces though. Lucky ladies.

I was able to see the collection in person at the press event in London.

There's a lot more to the clothes than the pictures let on. The trench coat has a bonded lining and belt loops in the interior to make it fully reversible. The ruffled blouse is made with uniqlo's high quality cotton standard, sewn with French seams. The striped scarves have their heat tech technology, etc. The quality is pretty high, not in everything, but most of the items feel way more expensive than they actually are.

It's not at all my style but there's some great classics here with a modern touch. Which I think was the idea.

Like Tricot, I'm going to pass on this but it's some pretty good stuff. I'm more inclined to wear the U line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels more random Marks & Spencer than Uniqlo...

Like Tricot, I'm going to pass on this but it's some pretty good stuff. I'm more inclined to wear the U line.

Did you manage to review the U line for fall as well? Some few pictures of people trying on pieces at their press previews showed up on instagram, so I wonder if that was at display for you to see as well. Would be good to hear your opinion on that!

Admittedly, the full-length coats, duffles coats and denim and pinstriped ruffled skirts are solid for the women's. Everything else, and all the men’s, look like childrenswear if IKEA sold clothes. But that’s typical of him: A few solid ideas repeated over and over, rounded off by filler basics. And a lot of hype as usual with him.

I was finally in a city with a boutique that carries the collection around the time it dropped so I got to try on quite a few things and also bought two pairs of pants, a shirt and a T-shirt. I also wanted to get the reversible parka in black and beige but sadly it was sold out. I'm quite impressed with the fit which is just right for me and the sense of elevated basics works really well for summer items. Hopefully the quality remains nice after a few washes; we'll see.

It was a good collection!
I hope it returns for FW...

i got the dark bell bottom denim jeans. They run large. They are sold out online. They are NOT selvedge denim. the material is a little flimsy.

I am inclined to agree that the fabric choices for the JWA collection are for the most part on the flimsy spectrum - Somehow you get the feel the amount of input is more on the style but less on the subtle exactitudes of finishings and material development, which made the Jil Sander and Lemaire collections so successful. Uniqlo is not a brand associated with trendy fashions but great basics and understated, timeless design. JWA doesn't seem such an effortless fit to me here, somehow I feel it's a compromise that doesn't bring out the best of both worlds as a result.

new collection out in october (uniqlo)

fc7f9f6d-c5b7-4acf-a46c-cc9128e86f73_campaign-800x800212formatted.jpg

What's the point, really? I feel like Uniqlo already has most of these basics in store at the moment and these clothes (from what can be seen from this campaign teaser) don't really scream J.W. Anderson, either. I thought the promise that you get something a little different than your usual merchandise is the actual reason why companies like Uniqlo would hire a well-known designer for a collaboration?

They should hire a designer that could be good at making more feminine clothes, their dresses and skirts usually fall more into the matronly category, in fact I do think there has never been any decent women's tailoring at Uniqlo ever since Jil Sander quit their collaboration.

This makes it their fourth collection together. I'm looking forward to getting a better look. Word on the street is that Tadashi Yanai LOVES what JW has been doing and insists on continuing the relationship.

One thing I will say; as JW continues to work with UNIQLO, he's getting a better understanding of how to push their technical and production teams and a better grasp of what limits he can push and which ones he can't. With that in mind, this new collection should be the best yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantrabriggs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->