James Turlington

Benn98

Reaction score

JAMES TURLINGTON: FROM BASEBALL STAR TO FASHION’S BUSIEST MALE MODEL

written by Eddie Roche February 10, 2020

The baseball world’s loss is the fashion industry’s gain with James Turlington’s epic launch as a male model this year.
As the nephew of one of the biggest supermodels of all time, he’s had the opportunity to grow up around fashion—and now
he’s ready to play ball.

What was your childhood like?
I grew up in Danville, California, in the East Bay. I was sports-obsessed, and was always playing baseball and basketball. I was outdoors all day. Kobe Bryant was my biggest idol growing up, next to Barry Bonds. I was born in L.A. and grew up going to those games all the time. [Bryant] was the hardest worker. Through baseball, I always prided myself on being the hardest worker as well.

You were a successful athlete yourself.
I played at UC Santa Barbara, where I was a pitcher. I was drafted a few times in junior college by the Astros and the Dodgers. I played in the Dodgers’ minor league system, which [involves] player development for two and a half years. I ended up hurting my elbow again after I had Tommy John [a torn arm ligament]. Unfortunately, I had to retire eight months ago.

And then, the fashion world came knocking! How did you wind up as a model?
It’s not as cool a discovery story as the ones I’ve read about people [being scouted] at the airport or walking on the street. People asked me if I would model, but I was so obsessed with baseball. It’s something that I eventually wanted to do. I’d played [aunt] Christy [Turlington]’s son in shoots when I was a toddler. Evelien Joos Casting from CR Fashion Book had my pictures, and sent them to IMG. Christy e-mailed Anne [Nelson], who is Gisele [Bünchen]’s agent, and I went in the next day. I signed with them immediately. I went back to Santa Barbara to take classes and get in shape. I was 220 pounds at the time, from playing baseball. I took five months and got closer to [finishing] my degree at the same time. I came back to New York at the start of the summer to give fashion a try. Christy invited me by a shoot for Vogue Brazil with [photographers] Luigi and Iango. They loved my look, styled me, and took photos of me on set.

When did you realize your aunt was so famous in the fashion world?
I never really saw her as being that famous. She was just my aunt. I always looked up to her and everything she’s done, such as [her charity] Every Mother Counts, and how she pursued higher education in the midst of being who she is. I saw how people looked up to her and how she was the mentor to so many top models now. People like Carolyn Murphy and Karlie Kloss have all said how amazing she’s been to them.

Did you know Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell when you were a kid?
When I was little, I saw them a few times. After I saw Kate Moss at Fashion Week, Christy told me Kate and I shared a bed in Danville when I was a little baby. They both came for Thanksgiving one year with my grandma, grandpa, and the whole gang. It’s been special to be in this world and reunite with them.

Last season, you walked Brandon Maxwell’s show. What was your first major Fashion Week like?
It was definitely nerve-racking! I feel like I was prepped for it, having Christy in my corner. She gave me all the advice in the world.

You were in Europe this year for shows, and did a great job capturing it all on your Instagram stories. What was that like?
I can’t compare it to anything. The past five months have been amazing. The past two weeks have probably been the most fun I’ve had. It was nonstop busy with shows and shoots. I get to wear amazing clothes. I met Haider Ackermann, which was a cool moment. I did Giorgio Armani’s show. I got to work for Ralph Lauren—I’ve always wanted to work for him. I went from the Dior to Balmain shows on a motorbike, washed my hair in the sink backstage, and got ready in 30 minutes. It was a wild night.

Etro was your first big campaign.
That was amazing. Lauren Hutton, Alton Mason, Abby Champion, and Mark Vanderloo were in it. Cass Bird shot it—someone I had on my dream list. [Stylist] George Cortina is also awesome. It was a surreal day, for sure.

We hear you and your mom are close. Are you a momma’s boy?
Yes, 100 percent. She and Christy have always been my mentors. They’re pretty much best friends. They live a block away from each other.

Do you still have school?
Five more courses. I’m a history major. My college doesn’t offer the courses until the summer, but I’m happy to be done. I’ll finish the courses online, thankfully.

Modeling doesn’t always last forever…unless you’re Christy Turlington. What else do you want to do?
Eventually, I’d like to get into acting. This life is new to me, because I played baseball from 2 to 25. This has been a huge transition in my life, going from my biggest passion to this. I’d love to model for awhile. The ride has been amazing!

IMG/Fashionweekdaily

GQ Style Russia S/S 2020

Photographer: Ivan Bideac
Stylist: Seppe Tirabassi
Grooming: Lindsey Williams
Cast: James Turlington

GQ Style Russia Digital Edition

UK GQ Style Spring/Summer 2020

New York City Boy

Photographer: Alexi Lubomirski
Stylist: Luke Day
Hair: Matthew Tuozzoli
Makeup: Mariko Arai

UK GQ Style Digital Edition

I LOVE how he models and he has an incredible incredible face wow !!! This is the type of models I want to see on covers and in editorials AND who actually knows how to pose in High fashion !!!!!!!!! Not one of these way-over-the-top-bulky-gym-obsessed male models who are just as commercials as our days are long with Covid-19 lol... or one of these overly emaciated male models who look like they're 12 years old. This type of beauty and physique and overall profile that works well in most markets is his. I hope he has a great modeling career. He reminds me of the top male supermodels of the 90's and 00'.

just some of his recent work

Vogue Czechoslovakia June 2020 Digital Cover

1350592-800w.jpg

V Man New Faces and Voices of Pre-Fall, June 2020
1374064-800w.jpg

Valentino F/W 2020 Campaign
1369779-800w.jpg

Man November 2020
1428143-800w.jpg

models.com

Icon Italia February 2021

James Turlington

Photographer: John Balsom
Stylist: Edoardo Caniglia
Grooming: Mira Chai Hyde

Icon Italia Digital Edition

VMan Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Steven Klein's New Age Models

Photographer: Steven Klein
Stylist: Patti Wilson
Hair: Jonathan De Francesco
Makeup: Mark Carrasquillo
Cast: Cloud Modi, Taras Romanov, James Turlington, Matt van de Sande

VMan Digital Edition

GQ Style Mexico Spring/Summer 2021

Abriendo Paso

Photographer: David Roemer
Stylist: Fernando Carrillo
Grooming: Scott McMahan

GQ Style Mexico Digital Edition

^^Great image of him.

As handsome as he is, he is sometimes hit or miss in print. The VMan with the flatironed hair is atrocious. I don't blame him, really, though.
Photographers today just have no clue what to do with their models and seem incapable of getting them best out of them.

This is a case of nepotism (I guess) where there's actually something good to offer (ejem ejem Lila Moss and Leni Klum) He would be perfect for Chanel.

US L'Officiel Hommes Fall 2021

The In Crowd

Photography: Lia Clay Miller
Styling: Michael Cook
Hair: Sean Michael Bennett
Makeup: William Scott
Cast: James Turlington, Roberto Rossellini, Gabriel-Kane Day-Lewis, Aurélien Enthoven

US L'Officiel Hommes Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->