Jim Nelson

kiD GQ

Reaction score
Jim Nelson is the current Editor-in-Chief of GQ Magazine, succeeding Art Cooper. More interesting, he is from the DC Metropolitan area. We don't focus much on editors of men's magazines, and I think GQ is like the Vogue of men's magazines: It's a perfectly equal combination of lifestyle and fashion. So I think it's fitting to have a thread for Jim Nelson.
Jim Nelson

JOB: Editor in chief for GQ magazine
HOURS/WEEK: About 65
TIME ON THE JOB: 4 years

How did you get started in the media industry?

This is actually my third career. I started out in TV news. I worked as a writer and producer at CNN in the mid-'80s. I started out as an intern . I just kept begging people to let me write copy and a couple of people gave me a chance.

What was your second career?

I worked on sitcoms as a writers' assistant, which means you sit around the room with a bunch of writers and ... when someone says a joke, you have to get it down and then read it back, and if it's not funny then it's your fault. I like the team effort of it but I just didn't feel control over it.

So, you made the move from TV to magazines?

Back then, magazines like The New Yorker and Harper's [Magazine] were my favorites. At age 30, I got an internship at Harper's - I was a few years older than everybody else there. I [stayed] for four years until '97, whereupon the glossy world started to lure me. [Editor in chief] Art Cooper offered me a job as a senior editor at GQ in 1997. When Art left, in 2003, I got his job.

What is your daily routine like?

There are no borders in my working life. I'm kind of on all the time, through e-mail and Trios and all that stuff. If it's earlier in the month, I'm trying to plan and organize future issues, reading manuscripts and talking to editors about ideas. As the month progresses, the window of time gets narrower and narrower, then everything gets much more scheduled by the minute.

Part of your job entails working with celebrities - any interesting encounters?

Nobody is more down-to-earth and genuinely cool than Jake Gyllenhaal. I just like him a lot personally. I feel that he has not been affected much by stardom.

GQ is celebrating its 50th anniversary. That's rare in publishing these days. What is the secret to the magazine's longevity?

When it came out, in 1957, it was a modern magazine. It was ahead of the curve by showing men that they could care about the way they dressed, the way they lived. Also you get the sense that it's edited by real people. I think those are the two things readers respond to: style and personality.

Speaking of style, can you remember your worst fashion mistake?

I'm probably wearing it today! I'm still learning. Luckily, there are plenty of people here I can ask for advice.

Fifty years is a long time; you must have a favorite cover?

I love the Richard Gere cover from 1980, the heyday of "American Gigolo." That cover is exceedingly cool. It's timeless.

Any story you're particularly excited about in October's 50th anniversary issue?

We commissioned a story on the kind of work culture and the creative collaboration between Bruce Weber and the other photographers and the magazine editors [at GQ in the '70's]. It's all about how these guys would go as a clique and party at Studio 54. They were kind of a hedonistic gang.

Is some of that hedonism still alive among editors?

It is a different culture. When I first came to GQ, Art Cooper would have cocktails in this office at 5 o'clock. I do think it created a kind of creative core. When I came on, I decided I couldn't do that. I had too much work to do.

Oh? He doesn't have a thread here yet? Interesting.. Yeah, I read GQ as much as I read Vogue and it's actually a lot more interesting (biased, given I'm more inclined to read about cars than nail polish colors). Only thing I have against GQ is that it's really thin, I mean no more than 130 pages per issue at any given one time which does not really make it worth buying at times.

Oh? He doesn't have a thread here yet? Interesting.. Yeah, I read GQ as much as I read Vogue and it's actually a lot more interesting (biased, given I'm more inclined to read about cars than nail polish colors). Only thing I have against GQ is that it's really thin, I mean no more than 130 pages per issue at any given one time which does not really make it worth buying at times.
Thats actually a new trend. A sad trend, but a recent trend. Like all magazines, GQ has taken a decline in ad pages thanks to the advancement of the internet and the economy. I keep all my GQ magazine and Ill take a picture of the most recent February issue compared to last years issue. You'll see the major difference. But GQ issues use to be just as thick as any fashion magazines prior to the huge decline in ad pages.

Just went to the newsstands and I was frustrated at how thin GQ's February 2010 issue is. For someone who has to shell out P425 pesos (About $8.20) for me is.... :(

At Spring 2009 Perry Ellis Show w/ GQ Magazine Publisher Peter Hunsinger:
Perry+Ellis+Front+Row+Spring+09+MBFW+wGiLxQoVKaDl.jpg

Gettyimages.com

At the Fall 2009 Tommy Hilfiger show:
Tommy+Hilfiger+Front+Row+Fall+09+MBFW+U1er87Q3JX6l.jpg

Gettyimages.com

GQ Editor-in-Chief Jim Nelson, actress January Jones and comedian Russell Brand attend the GQ 'Men of the Year' party held at Chateau Marmont on November 18, 2009:
GQ+Men+Year+Party+Inside+Q8E-xxDCB_Ml.jpg

Gettyimages.com

From a May 30, 2008 cocktail party. Wearing a Michael Bastian suit.
gqparty.jpg

Style.com

At a celebration for Jim Moore receiving a CFDA award at Barneys New York on June 11, 2009 in New York City.
Barneys+New+York+Celebrates+Jim+Moore+CFDA+08CCCDQCvH6l.jpg

Gettyimages.com

At the 45th Annual National Magazine Awards at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center on April 22, 2010 in New York City.
45th+Annual+National+Magazine+Awards+66qWUpGef06l.jpg

Gettyimages.com

Images from GQ's Best New Menswear Designers Party 2010

GQ+Best+New+Menswear+Designers+Party+Inside+iNzvILDVXo1l.jpg

GQ+Best+New+Menswear+Designers+Party+Inside+_r2EFO04zGjl.jpg

GQ+Best+New+Menswear+Designers+Party+Inside+9nEyPbtw00al.jpg

GQ+Best+New+Menswear+Designers+Party+Inside+pRvpT20Karwl.jpg

Gettyimages.com

GQ+Best+New+Menswear+Designers+Party+Inside+vstj2sg8EO2l.jpg

Not a big fan of Jim Nelson. I don't think he's done mens fashion any justice. The magazine is too thin, the writing is really suspect at times, and I often feel that the targeted demographic is too old. I think the best part of GQ is the sartorial guide and also some of the features on sports figures like Tom Brady and Troy Polamalu. I don't get the feeling that Nelson takes the magazine seriously enough. I mean why would jessica alba be on the cover. Is it GQ or Maxim? When's the last time Vogue had George Clooney half naked on its cover? There's really nothing special about GQ anymore. It's just "put boobs and bizarre techno gadgets in the thing and call it lifestyle." Might honestly be Conde Nast's most disappointing publication.

Jim Nelson's 10th Anniversary at GQ

The fashion industry came together yesterday during the Spring 2014 collections in Milan to celebrate Jim Nelson's decade-long run as editor-in-chief of GQ.

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-10.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-12.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-51.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-42.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-41.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-33.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-18.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-09.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-36.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-37.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-14.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-11.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-04.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-01.jpg

gq-milan-fashion-week-party-52.jpg

Source

Conde Nast Celebrates Editorial Excellence: Toast To Editors, Writers And Contributor

Conde Nast hosted an event to celebrate editorial excellence back in April in NYC. Great pictures, especially those of Anna Wintour and Jim Nelson having a chat.

Jim+Nelson+Conde+Nast+Celebrates+Editorial+wc7ko3TQpKQx.jpg

Jim+Nelson+Conde+Nast+Celebrates+Editorial+vYupriMUXMKx.jpg

Jim+Nelson+Conde+Nast+Celebrates+Editorial+UzpAN45VjdNx.jpg

Jim+Nelson+Conde+Nast+Celebrates+Editorial+KDevweomVkGx.jpg

Source

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back