Jim Nelson

Discussion in 'The Fashion Pack' started by kiD GQ, Jan 30, 2010.

1. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

Jim Nelson is the current Editor-in-Chief of GQ Magazine, succeeding Art Cooper. More interesting, he is from the DC Metropolitan area. We don't focus much on editors of men's magazines, and I think GQ is like the Vogue of men's magazines: It's a perfectly equal combination of lifestyle and fashion. So I think it's fitting to have a thread for Jim Nelson.

2. IAmLordZen

Oh? He doesn't have a thread here yet? Interesting.. Yeah, I read GQ as much as I read Vogue and it's actually a lot more interesting (biased, given I'm more inclined to read about cars than nail polish colors). Only thing I have against GQ is that it's really thin, I mean no more than 130 pages per issue at any given one time which does not really make it worth buying at times.

3. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

Thats actually a new trend. A sad trend, but a recent trend. Like all magazines, GQ has taken a decline in ad pages thanks to the advancement of the internet and the economy. I keep all my GQ magazine and Ill take a picture of the most recent February issue compared to last years issue. You'll see the major difference. But GQ issues use to be just as thick as any fashion magazines prior to the huge decline in ad pages.

4. IAmLordZen

Just went to the newsstands and I was frustrated at how thin GQ's February 2010 issue is. For someone who has to shell out P425 pesos (About $8.20) for me is.... :(

5. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

At Spring 2009 Perry Ellis Show w/ GQ Magazine Publisher Peter Hunsinger:
    [​IMG]
    Gettyimages.com

At the Fall 2009 Tommy Hilfiger show:
    [​IMG]
    Gettyimages.com

GQ Editor-in-Chief Jim Nelson, actress January Jones and comedian Russell Brand attend the GQ 'Men of the Year' party held at Chateau Marmont on November 18, 2009:
    [​IMG]
    Gettyimages.com

6. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

From a May 30, 2008 cocktail party. Wearing a Michael Bastian suit.
    [​IMG]
    Style.com

At a celebration for Jim Moore receiving a CFDA award at Barneys New York on June 11, 2009 in New York City.
    [​IMG]
    Gettyimages.com

At the 45th Annual National Magazine Awards at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center on April 22, 2010 in New York City.
    [​IMG]
    Gettyimages.com

7. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

Images from GQ's Best New Menswear Designers Party 2010

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gettyimages.com

[​IMG]

8. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

He really epitomizes GQ. It's almost unreal.

9. editorinchief

editorinchief New Member

Not a big fan of Jim Nelson. I don't think he's done mens fashion any justice. The magazine is too thin, the writing is really suspect at times, and I often feel that the targeted demographic is too old. I think the best part of GQ is the sartorial guide and also some of the features on sports figures like Tom Brady and Troy Polamalu. I don't get the feeling that Nelson takes the magazine seriously enough. I mean why would jessica alba be on the cover. Is it GQ or Maxim? When's the last time Vogue had George Clooney half naked on its cover? There's really nothing special about GQ anymore. It's just "put boobs and bizarre techno gadgets in the thing and call it lifestyle." Might honestly be Conde Nast's most disappointing publication.

10. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

Jim Nelson's 10th Anniversary at GQ

The fashion industry came together yesterday during the Spring 2014 collections in Milan to celebrate Jim Nelson's decade-long run as editor-in-chief of GQ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source

11. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

More photos below are here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kiD GQ

kiD GQ New Member

Conde Nast Celebrates Editorial Excellence: Toast To Editors, Writers And Contributor

Conde Nast hosted an event to celebrate editorial excellence back in April in NYC. Great pictures, especially those of Anna Wintour and Jim Nelson having a chat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source