Julien MacDonald Fall-Winter 2006, London

brian

Reaction score
Julien MacDonald London Does Paris...and New York
By Lauren David Peden
February 15, 2006 @ 12:37 AM - London

The fur was flying last night at Julien MacDonald both literally (when animal rights activists showed up outside London's Freemasons Hall to protest) and figuratively (in the form of many, many, many fur jackets, chubbies, coats and shrugs).

The already buzzed-about event generated even more sizzle when a rumor began circulating around the room minutes before kickoff that Paris Hilton herself was going to open the show.

Indeed, once the lights dimmed and the sound of thunder and lightening subsided from the speakers, out came America's Favorite Sweet Tart in all her skanky glory, causing the celebrity-deprived crowd to roar its approval. Only why was she wearing what appeared to be a silver strapless bridesmaid-cum-prom dress?

And why were the rest of the models - which included Erin O'Connor and Lizzie Jagger - attired in what felt like a pastiche of Michael Kors, Baby Phat and Sweetface? (Read: Kors-style tweed trousers and pencil skirts worn with oversized shades and huge statement furs, blinged-out everything, a la Kimora Lee Simmons, and white fur coats paired with floppy fedoras, as seen at J. Lo's September Sweetface debut.)
It's not that the clothes weren't cool, covetable or flattering - most them were - and all of the furs were to-die-for. It's just that the overall collection - including the colorful Oscar- or Bafta-worthy red carpet gowns - felt less than original and left us with an unwelcome sense of fashion deja vu. Even the gold confetti that exploded at the end of the show felt reminiscent of Marc Jacobs' Spring 2006 show, when the audience at New York's Armory was showered with the glittery stuff.

And then there was Paris, who made a second appearance in a gold-and-silver beaded dress that shed all over the runway as she walked, prompting two black-clad stagehands to get down on their hands and knees to clean up after her (hey, isn't that what publicists are for?). Miz Hilton also closed the show to another huge round of applause, wearing a white bias cut fishtail wedding dress that begged the question, err, white? Isn't that for, you know...virgins?

The hotel heiress may be old news in America, but apparently MacDonald is hoping to foster ongoing London-Paris relations. Now if the designer would only concentrate on making fashion that doesn't feel derivative of everyone else out there, the applause might be in response to the clothing rather than a celebrity publicity stunt.

- fwd

all photos, vogue.co.uk

00010f.jpg
00020f.jpg

00030f.jpg
00040f.jpg

Comes across as rather last season with the overabundance of fur ... and I thought some of the prints were :sick: until Paris Hilton as the bride :yuk: totally took my mind off them ...

Paris wore white!?

It looks horrible how the shoes leave prints on the mirrored floor, which is kinda dirty because you can see up thier skirts...

they both got pelted with bags of flour! lol

Julien sits down in his studio one afternoon in the fall feeling particularly productive "Let's see, I managed to get fired from Givenchy, that was a bit of a laugh" he checks off an item on a list. "I wonder..... how can I make my next collection even more gaudy!?".

An impossible feat no?

After weeks of slaving away in his studio Julien came nearer to his goal "Ok, so we have a totally improper use of fur *check*, ummmm let's see...oh yes, the worse embellishments ever! *check* oh, My assistants did a great job of raiding Versace's archives and making indecent copies...*check* But I need more! What else could there be???

pause

pause

pause

*lightbulb clicks on*

In his most creative moment ever Julien comes to the solution:
"Let's have Paris Hilton walk in the show!"

*sigh* Oh Julien!

^:lol:

paris hilton & fur....too many dead things :sick:

not a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics