Kim Jones Joins Fendi as Artistic Director

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by WilliamsLe010919, Sep 9, 2020.

1. WilliamsLe010919

WilliamsLe010919 Active Member

Apparently he will be working for both Dior Homme and Fendi.

Source: Fendi Twitter

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Terrible news! And I can tell you now that they're not hiring him for his craftsmanship. They're bargaining on Jones turning Fendi into a buzzy brand, like the female accompaniment to Dior Men. Another win for the hypebeasts.

It's beyond me that we have so much talent just wasting away on fashion week rosters, in design schools, on indie brands, as assistants in top brands, yet the industry is intent giving more power to the top 5 designers. Isn't the success of Alessandro Michele enough for brands to take the plunge!?!

3. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

Lol what. This is so random and honestly a terrible decision. Did they not have any other potential candidates? Did Silvia ask for this? Is the brand struggling? So many questions....

I've never seen Kim as a womenswear designers, let alone a fit for Fendi. I think this will be an epic disaster.

4. perhydrol

perhydrol Well-Known Member

Fendi has one of the most talented design teams out there and I think they were perfectly fine after Karl. They were actually trying to push the brand forward. That's why I don't really get this decision, but after all LVMH is getting more and more addicted to hype designers so we shouldn't be really surpriced.

5. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

NOOOOOO!!!

Silvia was already the right choice! Her F/W 2020 collection was so glorious and she successfully continued what Karl established for the brand without creating a total imitation of his aesthetic. I love Kim at Dior Men but please don’t mess with Silvia’s Fendi!

gazebo, sweetcaress, aracic and 4 others like this.
  6. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

7. Krystalblue006

I thought her last collection was really good. Like really really good. What happened? :o Really curious to see Kim Jones doing womenswear but Fendi? Really?

8. PierreGotha

PierreGotha Member

Sylvia's Fendi is already doing wonders, Why fix it when it's already working?

9. JohannesL

JohannesL Active Member

From a business point of view, the last few years have seen Kerring managed to turn Gucci, SL, and BV into power engines while LVMH failed in every possible way with its mediocre designers.

Fashionstuff likes this.
  10. JohannesL

JohannesL Active Member

How could I miss Demma's Balenciaga!!! Even as a menswear desinger at LV, Kim Jones is not as good as Veronique Nichanian at Hermes.

Fashionstuff likes this.
  11. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

Silvia's last show was so womanly and glamourous, a celebration of bourgeois taste and very different from her competitors. I fear it will now be too focused on appealing to a younger audience, through collabs and such. It is too soon to want to shake everything up, so unnecessary. I like Kim but it doesn't feel right to let go of someone so capable and with a good sense for commerce, a Fendi family member on top of that.

Milan will be such a different place with Raf at Prada (and let's not kid ourselves Miuccia probably wants to retire, too much ego otherwise) and Kim at Fendi...I'm already nostalgic.

12. entten

entten Member

I hate this decision so much. I dont get the hype around this guy. Tbh I even didnt know his name before (first of all because I dont care about menswear)a few years ago suddenly everyone praised him and then he changed house to Dior. I remember by than checking out his mediocre collections and was like, wtf why is everyone out of the blue talking about him? his collections are so meehhh

Mercury6181 and RedSmokeRise like this.
  13. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Well-Known Member

Poor Silvia. This wasn't her choice, obviously. We all remember how tough the times were when LVMH bought Fendi – both parties hated each other. And the stalest one of the fashion conglomerates is now adding fuel to the fire again. Why the need to have another brand that will appeal to kids? No one needs another brand of performative wokeness and overpriced street clothes (which they are not!) that people can't even resell anymore.

I've been to dozens of Fendi fashion shows in Milan and even was invited to their event in Paris when Karl reinstated "haute fourrure," as it was known then. The whole collection had been sold before the runway even begun! And they get huge orders from clients worldwide after each show. Chinese ladies literally grab samples in the backstage and start writing cheques.

Leave Fendi alone! Silvia is more than capable of delivering breathtaking, yet commercial womenswear and accessories, she just needs some time to find the right formula after being Karl's protégé all her life.

If anything, Fendi menswear would profit from a clearer direction, but Kim still has a lot to prove in this manner too.

14. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Justice for Silvia! :o

15. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

It would have been better to just elevate Alessia Pellarini to a role of creative director...
    This is just a move from LVMH to prepare Kim Jones for the Dior job. Pietro Beccari (Dior’s current CEO) used to be the CEO of Fendi.
    Once MGC leaves, we can expect a takeover of Jones for the entire Dior brand.

I think the teams are going to stay the same. I don’t know what it means for Charlotte Stockdale, Amanda Harlech and Katie Lyall...

I hope Fendi was given to a more interesting designer because Karl really gave them a spirit of creativity but I totally understand why they did that. Fendi is LVMH’s third cash cow and they have more potential to grow than Celine, in which Arnault placed all his hope!

16. IloveDiorHomme

IloveDiorHomme Well-Known Member

So annoyed by this decision.:sick:

Who needs Kim Jones's washed-out vision of fashion to a womenswear luxury brand ?
    I see some boring and predictable "FF" logo mania coming. That's all Kim Jones can deliver.
    "LV LV LV LV LV"
    "CD CD CD CD"
    "FF FF FF FF"

He is a logo placer.
    Not a fashion designer.

Give us fresh new blood or established designer that have been not active for a while.
    Surprise us.

17. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

Wait so he's not doing the menswear there? That's kinda bizarre. Why not give him the whole Fendi job, or the whole Dior job for that matter? The splitting between two brands makes no sense to me.

TheoG, velvetandsilk, Nomar and 2 others like this.
  18. Fashionstuff

Fashionstuff http://fashionworldstuff.

Agree. This were my thoughts,too.

19. Ed..

Ed.. cape cod kwassa kwassa!

I like him as a menswear designer but let's be real, he's no Karl Lagerfeld...

Bertrando3 and bc collector like this.
  20. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

It is quite well known that Kim at Dior Men was to then take the whole Dior but MGC is doing surprisingly well in term of sales so they (the executives) will not ditch her when she brings the money but at the same time they have to make Kim wait so here is Fendi... They could have given him Givenchy seriously. Fendi was perfect like that and I enjoy the womenswear (the men's need someone as it is very bad).