Kirsten Dunst

Kirsten at the 76th annual Cannes Film Festival, 2023, at the premiere of Killers of the Flower Moon (Jesse stars in it)
Her dress (which is actually a two-piece of bodice and skirt) was Chanel resort 1995, sourced from Shrimpton Couture and styled by Samantha McMillen

source: pic 1 and 2 from www.redcarpetfashionawards.com, pic 3 from twitter.com/21metgala

Kirsten-Dunst-Wore-Vintage-Chanel.jpg Kirsten-Dunst-3.jpeg Fwlbf9NXsAEeSy1.jpg

Kirsten looks fantastic. Love seeing her and Jesse look so happy together as well! :heart:

Kirsten has started a fashion label with her friend Jessica Herschko! It's called Observed By Us and they launched a collaboration with Coach, article and pics of her at the launch dinner from the Vogue website

Kirsten Dunst Hosted a Dinner to Celebrate Her Observed By Us x Coach Collab
By Rachel Besser

July 13, 2023

BFA_40414_5692247.jpg

Kirsten DunstJojo Korsh/BFA.com
Kirsten Dunst beamed as she spoke about her close friendship with Jessica Herschko, the Los Angeles-based illustrator and her co-designer for Observed by Us—Dunst’s fashion label. “We’re like best friends,” said Dunst. Their matching electric blue eyeshadow served as a testament to their bond, as Dunst revealed they had gotten ready for the evening together. The purpose of the blue eyeshadow, according to Dunst, was to highlight the vibrant blue embroidery on the Coach and Observed by Us pieces they both wore.

Sunset Tower Hotel's Terrace underwent a remarkable transformation for the celebration of Coach and Observed by Us. The poolside tables that usually fill the space were replaced by one single, meticulously arranged dinner table. Embroidered linens and an array of sunset-hued bouquets decorated the table, complimenting the sunset light reflecting off downtown Los Angeles' buildings in the background. Branded matchbooks were thoughtfully placed at the bar, and couches lined the pool for guests to lounge before dinner began.

At one point, Dunst's eyes scanned the room, taking in the kaleidoscope of ’70s-inspired embroidered flowers, psychedelic hearts, mushrooms, and kites decorating denim, handbags, and dresses. Her gaze settled on one partygoer moving about the room in a pair of Coach and Observed By Us scissor-embroidered overalls, eliciting Dunst's praise, "She looks really cute. Those will only look even better with time."

Coach creative director, Stuart Vevers, emphasized the natural connection between Coach and Observed by Us. "The fact that our initial meeting to discuss this idea took place here...it just feels really natural, authentic, and genuine," Vevers explained. Known for his incorporation of symbols and vintage motifs in his collections, Vevers was particularly drawn to Herschko's work. "Her work really resonated with me," he expressed. “It was something I wanted to be part of.”

The guest list included Ruth Negga, Melanie Lynskey, Dominique Fishback, Jesse Plemons, Dove Cameron, Hilary Duff, Sasha Calle, Karl Glusman, Maggie Lawson, Meg Stalter, Natalie Laura Mering, Rain Spencer, Evan Ross Katz, Samantha McMillen, Shirley Kurata, Addison Timlin, and more.

As the night came to a close and empty plates of sticky toffee puddings were left on the table, guests lingered in the seating setups, relishing in having the entire Sunset Tower Terrace to themselves. The cool Los Angeles night could wait a little while longer.

BFA_40414_5692247jpg.jpg BFA_40414_5692244jpg.jpg

Kirsten's Coach collab is here ( super adorable and I love the illustrations), here's another article from Harper's Bazaar on it - thought it should go here since it's based on her own style. Also an image from the Observed By Us instagram of her at the dinner.

Kirsten Dunst Bottled Her Signature Quirky Coolness for a Collaboration With Coach
Illustrator Jessica Herschko and Dunst dreamed up vintage-inspired bags, slipdresses, and denim adorned with whimsical illustrations

a3e534fd-dc82-4b22-be80-50efa84b1924_1663767759.file
By Tara GonzalezPublished: Jul 12, 2023

On a recent drive, Kirsten Dunst’s son was looking at the sun when he said, “When the sun and moon come together, it’s called a smoon.” I can see him peeking out of the corner of a door behind Dunst over Zoom, as the actress and I discuss her recent collection with Coach, created with her friend, illustrator and designer Jessica Herschko.

In 2020, the actress and the artist started Observed by Us, a creative project that began with drawing custom illustrations on everything from pairs of white Vans to children’s button-up tops. When Dunst posted about it on her Instagram Story, someone from Coach reached out, and soon enough she and Herschko were collaborating on a collection with executive creative director Stuart Vevers.

The ready-to-wear and accessories from the collaboration feature things like a “smoon,” handpicked straight from Dunst’s son’s imagination. When I ask Dunst if she wanted to imbue the clothing for adults with childlike wonder, she nods, “It’s accepting the randomness of life in a playful way. I think that the message is of being here all together, too, and the idea of floating in space.”

Herschko chimes in: “Basically, the overarching theme is that we’re all just kind of floating in space … everything is floating! Our ideas, our clothing, our bodies. Planes! Satellites! Everything! We thought it would be fun to sit around and sort of come up with these whimsical stories to make sense of things that don’t normally make sense together.”

The heart-shaped bags, denim overalls, and ruffled knit crop tops of the Observed by Us x Coach collection all feature hand-drawn illustrations by Herschko, floating at random near clasps, sleeves, and pockets. They were inspired by the stories vintage clothing tells, the kind that have a beginning, middle, and end you’re not entirely sure of—the kind with blanks you could fill in with your own memories.

“We’re always drawn to items from like the ’60s or ’70s,” Dunst says. “We wanted to have a vintage feel to this. Coach showed us old bags, and we knew we wanted sweatshirts and denim and the perfect little summer dress that’s kind of like a slipdress, too.” A favorite piece is a heart-shaped bag: “It lends itself to the way Jessica draws!” But mostly, Dunst just loves how the clothing speaks, she says. “Jessica and I made up stories to go with each item of clothing.”

Herschko says the two are drawn to vintage specifically because “[w]e don’t necessarily know what the story is, but there is a story behind every old Levi’s bell-bottoms that someone wore 50 years ago.” They saw this collection as a way to try to re-create the magic of vintage, especially given Coach’s 80-year history. “They gave us models of bags to work with that have lasted the test of time!”

In the age of celebrity creative directors and beauty brands, Dunst’s name being attached to the project might raise some eyebrows. But while not every celebrity collection feels like a natural fit, it’s hard not to see Dunst’s signature hand in all of the pieces, many of which were inspired by her own personal style.

“I think Kirsten has the highest level … not only in clothing, but also aesthetically in general. She’s an artist through and through. She doesn’t even talk about this, but she’s an incredible painter and her color palettes are incredible. Even the textiles in her home and on her clothing!” Herschko says. “I feel so lucky that I get to collaborate with her specifically, because every time she has something to say, it always makes it cooler and better and takes it to the next level.”

I can see Dunst blushing on the left side of my screen. She tugs at the collar of her shirt to say, “You know where I got this shirt? A New Zealand vineyard! It was the worker shirts. I was like, ‘I love your T-shirts!’”

Herschko laughs. “See?”

And now everyone will finally have a chance to own a bit of Dunst’s quirky coolness for themselves.

The Observed by Us x Coach Collection is available to shop today at Coach.com.

View attachment 1233233

Last edited:
Ugh I want that dress, but that’s too much money! Really cute collection though.

Cute but very juvenile looking. I like some of the florals, in spite of that, but not enough to pick anything up.

^ I can see that but it's in line with Coach's own aesthetic for the last decade or so (cutesy-drawings merch) so makes sense for her to be doing a collection with them.

I think some of the smaller pieces would be cute to have as accessories, like the pouch, notebook and mushroom earrings (the necklace is cute too but I'm a bit hesitant to pay that much for costume jewellery)

Kirsten attending the Gucci Spring/Summer 2025 with her brother at Milan Fashion Week and interview with W (pics from wmagazine.com)
kirsten-dunst-at-gucci.jpgdv1_5568_p3ifrspf.jpg
It was a family affair at the Gucci spring 2025 show on September 20 in Milan—and no one epitomized that kind of atmosphere more than Kirsten Dunst. The actress attended the presentation, held at the Triennale di Milano, with her younger brother, Christian Dunst. “We both needed a brother-sister getaway,” the actress tells W of her decision to bring Christian to the show as opposed to her husband, actor Jesse Plemons. “Jesse stayed home with the kids. Someone had to.”

The siblings coordinated their looks for the show—Kirsten in a floral, ankle-length dress and Christian opting for the more casual black trousers and white t-shirt. The actress insists the two didn’t match on purpose. Their names are similar enough. “It’s so embarrassing,” Kirsten says of the likeness between Kirsten and Christian. “Especially when we do interviews and I have to be like, ‘Hi, I’m Kirsten. This is Christian.’ It’s the same name.” But Kirsten put up with any embarrassment for the day in order to spend some quality time with her brother, plus check out creative director Sabato de Sarno’s sophomore offering for Gucci. Below, Dunst talks her favorite pieces from the show, her teenage style, and the niche piece of Jackie O. memorabilia she keeps in her home.

Courtesy of Gucci

Did you see anything on the Gucci runway you could imagine wearing to an upcoming event?

There was a really beautiful brown sheath dress that I loved, and also those jackets with the beaded fringe. They almost had a Texas feel, but it wasn’t the normal placement of fringe, which I liked. I liked those short, poofy skirts, too. There was definitely an ode to Jackie Kennedy in there, with the head wraps and sunglasses. I actually have one of Jackie’s doors in my house.

A door?

Yeah, a door from her old apartment in New York. I bought it at an auction, kept it in my New York apartment, and then brought it home to L.A. with me. Then I found out the woman who previously owned my house in L.A. went to boarding school with Jackie and they were friends! But that’s what I like to spend money on. I spend so much time at home. I don’t care as much about clothes or cars, but house stuff I love.

How did you choose the look you wore to the Gucci show?

I was looking at the [resort 2025] runway pictures and I saw this big, floral jacket covering a dress. I always look for what’s under the coats because those can be easy, great silhouettes to wear. Now, though, I’m back in jeans and a T-shirt. I was like, “Get me into flats.”

Dunst in Gucci at the 2024 Academy Awards
Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic, Inc/Getty Images
Kirsten Dunst attends the 96th Annual Academy Awards

Moving onto the Style Notes questions, do you remember your first Gucci purchase?

I think the first thing I bought myself from Gucci were those slides without the back. I think I was about 20.

What was your style like when you were younger?

Whatever was at Fred Segal or Dollhouse. I was also really into Katayone Adeli. There was a store called Mail, which was a chain mail store in Nolita, and that was a destination for me every time I went to New York. Now you can buy everything everywhere, but back then it was so special to go to certain stores when you were in different cities. Like when I worked in Paris on Marie Antoinette, nobody had heard of Isabel Marant or Vanessa Bruno or any of those cute French labels. So I would come home with all these cool clothes no one had yet.

Did the films you were working on ever affect your style at the time?

No. I mean, [Marie Antoinette] had incredible costumes, but I was a real vintage hunter. I still wear vintage clothes I got when I was living in Paris. Me and my friend Io [Bottoms], who was in the movie too, would go scavenge in vintage stores in the Marais.

You’ve been in the spotlight and on red carpets for so long. Do you ever look back on pictures and think, “God, why did I wear that?”

I think everybody does. When I was a teenager, I wore butterfly clips in my hair and jellies with tights or knee-high socks. But that’s what you’re supposed to do when you’re a kid. So yeah, no regrets.

Dunst at the 1995 MTV Movie Awards.
Jim Smeal/Ron Galella Collection/Getty Images
Kirsten Dunst at the Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, California

What about past red carpet looks that you still love?

I was the first person to ever wear Rodarte, so that was cool. I wore a bunch of [Kate and Laura Mulleavy’s] first collection on the Spider-Man press tour. It always feels special when you discover someone new, and then they became dear friends of mine. It feels like we grew up together and that’s special.

My Academy Award dress this year from Gucci was also incredible. I had never tried on a dress that fit so perfectly to my body. Their tailoring is incredible.

Who are your style icons?

I was lucky enough to grow up with Sofia [Coppola]. She always just looks so chic. I think I’ve always looked to certain women in my life. My mom always had fun style. But I’m also influenced a lot by movies. When I first saw Paris, Texas, I wanted to dress like Nastassja Kinski. Or, when I discovered Blondie, I wanted to dress like her. Same with Charlotte Rampling. The ’70s is my favorite era in terms of fashion.

And finally, I have to ask—growing up, did your parents ever call you or your brother by each other’s names? I have to imagine that was a confusing household.

It’s their own fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick1488
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->