Leather Dyes

PrinceOfCats

Naturellement pulpeuse
Reaction score
I have a gorgeous Jaeger belted trench made out of top quality British wool voile in a lovely Deadly Nightshade hue of purple. Trouble is it h'aint got no belt. So what I want to do is attach a belt, natch. I've got hold of one of those wide, double-pronged belts but now I want it ELECTRIC BLUE because I mean...who wouldn't? So does anyone have any advice about leather dyeing or brands of leather dye?

the only thing i know is this...in fashion school my friend dyed a belt and some other stuff...she boiled the dye in a big pot on the stove...and she said that the longer you leave the stuff in the deeper the colour and the hotter the water the more the dye will set...

other than that i'v eonly used topical shoe dye to dye shoes...it is applied with a large swab on a stick...i got it at a shoe store...but it only came in navy and black i think...

i wanted to dye some vintage boots..how well do these topicals work? i wouldnt want to put leather in water i dont think that would be effective.

how do you think they're dyed in the first place?...leather can handle water...

the stiching and soles of the boots are a different story...

the topicals are ok...but they croc...which means that the colour rubs off little by little...sometimes on your skin or clothes...and they have to be re-applied...also...you can really only go from a lighter colour to a darker colour and the original colour of the item will affect the result...natural and white or very pale yellow are your best options for dying...or pink to red or baby blue to navy....etc...

It's hard to dye stuff once it's already processed... often you'll find that the dye will bleed... :shock:

Prince,

I would suggest you go to a leather skins supplier(s) and ask them if they have a proper skin in th color you want, get abuckle and hardware from a trimming store
and have the belt made. You can probably get a cobbler to do it for about $40 + your supplies cost or find an accessories student to do it for you for a few bucks. Dying may not be the answer.

Good idea. But what I'll do if I do is use the belt I've got already, rip the hardware off, cut the new leather to the same pattern (there are some leather-working tools somewhere in this house) and put the hardware back on myself. My cobbler does the heels on my shoes and he's quite rich enough with exhorbitant rates he charges for re-heeling without me giving him more money. :shock: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->