Leonardo DiCaprio

Bixby

bonjour antlers
Reaction score
I searched the entire forum and still can't believe we don't have a thread on this amazing actor. It's Leonardo DiCaprio! The guy who had teenage girls (yes, I was one of them. it was the 90's. okay, i still love him.) seeing Titantic for the fifthteenth time or memorizing the words from Romeo & Juliet. To me he's a tremendous actor with this unbelievable talent. I'm glad to see that his career has transcended from childhood star to teen hearthrob to respected thespian. Alright--I'll stop gushing and just say I still think he's freaking hot. :brows: :wub:

Biography

His name allegedly derives from his German mother Irmalin's having experienced a sudden kick from her unborn boy while enjoying a DaVinci painting at the Uffizi. In the year following his birth, she and his Italian father, George, were divorced. He grew up in Echo Park, then a particularly seedy, drug-dominated area of Los Angeles. At five he appeared on his favorite TV show _"Romper Room" (1970)_ and was nearly thrown off for misbehaving. After a string of commercials, educational films ("Mickey's Safety Club"), occasional parts in TV series, a debut film role as Josh in Critters 3 (1991), a continuing role as the homeless boy Luke in the TV series "Growing Pains" (1985), he got his break-through part as Toby in This Boy's Life (1993), co-starring with Robert De Niro and Ellen Barkin.
The part led the New York Film Critics and the National Society of Film Critics to name him runner-up for Best Supporting Actor. His first Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations came for the difficult role of Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993). Equally challenging parts were a drug-troubled Jim Carroll in The Basketball Diaries (1995), the tormented homosexual poet Rimbaud in Total Eclipse (1995), and the male lead in a very updated Romeo + Juliet (1996). Superstardom came to DiCaprio playing Jack Dawson in Titanic (1997), highest grossing film ever, tied with Ben-Hur (1959) for most Academy Awards, though Leo himself was not nominated.

Source: imdb.com

Fun Facts

Full Name: Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio
Nickname: Leo

Height: 6' 1"

While filming The Beach (2000) off the coast of Thailand, Leonardo and others were swept off a camera boat by strong winds and waves. No one was injured. [16 April 1999]

His first publicity spot was about MILK.

Sues Playgirl magazine over plans to publish pictures --including full frontal nudity -- of himself. [March 1998]

Ranked #75 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

Chosen by People Magazine as one of the "50 Most Beautiful People in the World." [1997]

Was considering starring in a movie about actor James Dean but turned down the role because he felt he wasn't experienced enough to do the film. [1996]

Screen tested for the part of Robin in Batman Forever (1995).

When three years old, he was in an educational program, called "Romper Room" (1953) and was nearly kicked off for uncontrollable behavior.

Chosen by People Magazine as one of the "50 Most Beautiful People in the World." [1998]

Father was a comicbook dealer.

Attended John Marshall High School in Los Angeles, California.

Has a stepbrother, Adam Farrar.

He and his family funded a state-of-the-art computer center at the Los Feliz branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, which was rebuilt after the 1994 Northridge earthquake.

A Manhattan appeals court decided to go ahead with a $45 million lawsuit against DiCaprio by actor and screenwriter Roger Wilson for allegedly encouraging his friends in a street fight with Wilson over advances DiCaprio's friends made toward Wilson's girlfriend, Elizabeth Berkley. [2000]

At age 10, his agent advised him to change his name to a more American- friendly Lenny Williams. Needless to say, he did not follow that advice.

Was initially set to star as Alan Jensen in Harvard Man (2001), but the film's low budget could not afford to pay his salary, so he dropped out and Adrian Grenier took the lead.

Was set to star in American Psycho (2000) but had to drop it due to scheduling conflicts. Christian Bale took the part instead.

In January 1999, his lawyers filed an application to allow DiCaprio to copyright his own name.

Attended Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies before attending Marshall High

His mom was standing in front of a da Vinci painting in Italy when Leo kicked her. That sign prompted her to name him after the painter.

His father is an Italian-American and his mother is German-American

Attended Seeds Elementary School at UCLA where he took summer courses in performance art

Ranked #42 in Premiere's 2003 annual Power 100 List. Had ranked #74 in 2002 and #60 in 2001.

Ranked #6 in Star TV's "Top 10 Box Office Stars of the 1990s" (2003).

Childhood friends with Tobey Maguire and the late Christopher Pettiet.

When his camera went missing, he offered a substantial reward of many thousands of pounds for its return. [November 2003]

Was once attached to star in American Psycho (2000) and was reputedly offered over $20 million for the role.

Openly supported John Kerry in the 2004 election. He went around 11 states and gave 20 speeches about the environment and how the Bush Administration has damaged it.

Was offered the role of the p*rn star Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights (1997) at around the same time as he was offered his role in Titanic (1997). The role eventually went to Mark Wahlberg.

Mentioned in an interview with Katie Couric that while filming The Aviator, it brought back his own Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that he had as a child. (December 23, 2004)

His current girlfriend is model Gisele Bundchen. Although there have been rumours that the couple split several times over the last years they are still together.

He is an environmental conservationist and often advocates and supports natural causes.

Considered for the role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man in Spider-Man (2002).

Filed police charges after being attacked with a bottle by an animal rights activist while leaving a nightclub in June 2005. Although the wound was very close to his jugular vein, it was not expected to delay production on his latest movie.

source: fan-sites.org/leo

Attachments

• cap_003.jpg
    cap_003.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 13
  • cap_007.jpg
    cap_007.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 17
  • cap_016.jpg
    cap_016.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 11
  • cap_055.jpg
    cap_055.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 2
  • cap_065.jpg
    cap_065.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1
  • cap_520.jpg
    cap_520.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 4
  • cap_213.jpg
    cap_213.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 5
  • cap_143-1.jpg
    cap_143-1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 9
  • cap_139.jpg
    cap_139.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 8
  • cap_087.jpg
    cap_087.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 15
same source

Attachments

• cap_570.jpg
    cap_570.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1
  • normal_14061_departedstill1.jpg
    normal_14061_departedstill1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
  • vlcsnap-309770.jpg
    vlcsnap-309770.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 82706_departedstill7.jpg
    82706_departedstill7.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 5
  • AmicaDEMarch2000LeonardoDiCaprio(1).jpg
    AmicaDEMarch2000LeonardoDiCaprio(1).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 11
  • details_oct062.jpg
    details_oct062.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 24
i just watched whats eating gilbert grape.... i love leo. love love love love love him!

I've been a huuuuuuuge fan since "What's Eating Gilbert's Grape." Very talented. I recently saw him in "The Departed" too...he was SO good it was scary. Held his own against Jack Nicholson too! That's not easy. And he's damn good-looking. I had the biggest crush on him circa Titanic and Romeo+Juliet. OMG. I still have the poster from Romeo+Juliet; gonna break it out now, lol.

Thank you for starting this thread. I have lots of Leo pictures; I'll try posting them later. :smile:

ETA: oh, and for movie trivia...a lot of the parts that went to Leo in the 90s were originally slated for River Phoenix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing The Departed today. He looks so good in it. :wub:

He has an upcoming movie called Blood Diamond. You can see the trailer by going here: http://www.apple.com/trailers .

Thanks for the pictures, Pulp Fiction. :smile: He's always been so yummy.

^ Me too! He has a wonderful ability to play boy-men. He did it in "The Aviator" too.

Anyway, here are some Leo pics I really like. Boy can really rock a suit. I also included some of him and Gisele, cause they were adorable together and she's one of my favorites as well. Really love that one of her chasing him on the beach, aww.
(heartofdestiny.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bixby said:
I'm seeing The Departed today. He looks so good in it. :wub:

He has an upcoming movie called Blood Diamond. You can see the trailer by going here: http://www.apple.com/trailers .

Thanks for the pictures, Pulp Fiction. :smile: He's always been so yummy.

Its funny because I was never a huge fan of Leo until I saw him in The Departed! OMG, he was so hot in it. I love love looovve that last pic you posted of him, Bixby, from Details:wub:

THANK YOU BIXBY!!
I was thinking of creating such a thread myself. I can't believe there wasn't already one.
he's an absolute favourite of mine. he's made the transition from teenage idol to serious actor so well.
gah... *crush*

the Departed have quickly made it to my personal top ten films of all time list. incredible movie.

i loooved The Departed! :woot:

such an incredible film. omg. his acting.. ah! i'll always have a crush on him. when i was younger i used to tape his pictures to my walls and kiss them. :lol:

xtine888, thanks for the pics, doll.

i know exactly what you mean, Cossy.

I've admired him as an actor for about 10 years now. I think he's tremendously versitile. Many film stars have a "type" that they play- wheras I think of Leo as more of a character actor in a leading man's body. Obviously he's good looking and he can play the romantic hero which gained him a lot of 13 year old fans when he did Romeo+Juliet and Titanic. But people overlook the fact that while those films elevated him to movie stardom they also proved that he can play a traditional role (having proven himself in quirky off-beat roles previously) and that he can handle Shakespeare. I also give him major credit for backing away from the teen idol label after Titanic and looking towards darker projects like The Beach, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and The Departed. He's not exclusively dark and intense though. I think Catch Me if You Can showed off his knack for comedy. He takes a lot more heat than many actors because he's constantly having to prove that he's more than a pretty face. I also admire his activism in politics and for environmental causes

I went to see Departed and it was AMAZING, seriously one of the best movies of all time. I used to hate Leonardo, because everybody liked him in Titanic and he seemed so stupid, but has become such an inspiring actor... All his last movies have been amazing: departed, aviator, gangs of NY, catch me if you can... he is so damn talented. I am really surprised- I always believed that after Titanic he shall be forgotten

This past weekend I too saw Departed.. WOW. Honestly one of the best this year! What a fantastic job he did.. he's a brillant actor, and I see him be around for many years to come. His choices for movie roles are awesome.

[As cheesy as it was, I really liked him in Catch Me if you Can./QUOTE]

Nothing cheesy about, I love that film! I simply adore the naive atmosphere during the whole movie. Hanks and DiCaprion are such couple on screen and the whole dresing up and becoming a new character every 20 minutes was cool.

He's an awesome actor when HE wants because films like The Beach are real crap and he's horrible in it. But then I though he was real good in The Aviator and his best performance by far is in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, he was awesome! Basketball Diaries was good too and then The Departed he does some seriously good acting while looking good, it doesn't get much better than this.

Argh I used to love him so much years ago. Romeo and Juliet is the best film ever. Everytime I hear Radiohead's Talk Show Host, I think of Leo looking HOT.

Ok, ok. After seeing the departed, I've tried very hard to fight it and tried even harder to deny it but I think I've finally comes to grip with it: Leonardo's so cute! lol. I did not want to admit this but for some reason, his outstanding acting in the Departed really got me. I have a little man crush on him now.

dlg

At age 10, his agent advised him to change his name to a more American- friendly Lenny Williams. Needless to say, he did not follow that advice.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchconnor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->