L'Oréal, Christian Dior, YSL - Swiss cosmetics cartel

Snow-White

Reaction score
I just read that Chanel Genève, Clarins, L'Oréal Produits de Luxe Suisse, Parfums Christian Dior and YSL Beauté have been suspected of being in a Swiss cosmetics cartel.

The Swiss authorities are likely to fine them upto 17.9 million euros for alleged cartel conduct!

something similar happened here in the USA.

the main high end cosmetics companies (loreal, givenchy, estee lauder, lancome, chanel etc) were all engaging in price fixing.
the lawsuit was going on for 10 years....finally the class action law suit was settled maybe two years ago and consumers had a week to get free makeup/lotion etc.

the makeup they were forced to give away was pretty bad, expiring sunscreen etc, gift with purchase stuff.

when i went to go pick up my item, the salesperson handed me expired sunscreen. i told her to go back and get me another one that wasnt expired. she said they didnt have any. so i ended up picking up a chanel lotion instead.

the lawsuit was going on for 10 years....finally the class action law suit was settled maybe two years ago and consumers had a week to get free makeup/lotion etc.
Now that would be great. Don't care if the stuff is beyond its expiry date, I'd be the happiest person if I could just grab everything for free :woot:

I dont think its hit the news yet, but its do with European Community competition law and read about it at a legal services website. Cartels essentially distort prices so Swiss customers should expect similar things ...

Now that would be great. Don't care if the stuff is beyond its expiry date, I'd be the happiest person if I could just grab everything for free :woot:

people were allowed to take 1 thing from each store. and the workers there were acting they were doing us a huge favour by giving the stuff away. :lol: it was really crappy stuff actually. most of it was practically trial size.:rolleyes:

here is the list from cosmeticssettlement.com:

The following is a list of the Manufacturer Defendants and their products that will be distributed, while supplies last, through the stores listed above:

Boucheron (USA) Ltd.:

Femme Eau de Toilette (1 ounce/30 ml)

Chanel, Inc.:

Coco Mademoiselle body lotion (3.4 fluid oz)

Christian Dior Perfumes, Inc.:

J’Adore Eau de Parfum (15 ml)

Clarins U.S.A., Inc. (customers will have a choice of ONE of two products, while supplies last:(

Clarins Energizing Morning Cream (30 ml) OR
Clarins Beauty Flash Bomb (30 ml)

Conopco, Inc. (distributed by Coty, Inc. on behalf of Conopco, Inc.) (customers will have a choice of ONE of three products, while supplies last:(

Calvin Klein Euphoria Bath and Shower Crème (6.7 oz) OR
Vera Wang Princess Body Polish (5 oz) OR
Lovely Sarah Jessica Parker Shower Gel (6.7 oz)

The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. (customers will have a choice of ONE of two products, while supplies last:(

Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair (15 ml/0.5 oz) OR
Clinique Moisture Surge (30 ml/1 oz)

Guerlain, Inc.:

My Insolence Eau de Toilette (15 ml)

L’Oréal USA, Inc. (formerly known as Cosmair, Inc.) (customers will have a choice of ONE of eight products, while supplies last:(

Lancôme UV Expert 20 OR
Lancôme Cils Design Pro Mascara OR
Lancôme Fatale Mascara OR
Lancôme Courbe Virtuose Mascara OR
Lancôme Primordial Skin Defense OR
Ralph Lauren Romance Shower Gel (6.7 oz.) OR
Giorgio Armani ACM Shower Gel (6.7 oz) OR
Lancôme Hypnôse Shower Gel

Parfums Givenchy, Inc.:

Very Irresistible Givenchy Eau de Toilette (15 ml)

Unfortunately I'm very bad with economics. Can someone please explain to me what this means? :( lol

^It means that they formally agreed to coordinate prices and marketing, which is against the rules of free competition. Cartels eliminate competition amongst firms, which means prices will be higher than they should be because there is no pressure from other big firms (since they're all included in the cartel).

But really, no one here would ever have noticed because everything is freakin' overpriced here.

lucy92: Thanks. Sounds like they didn't really want to compensate the customers. I don't expect them to do anything like that here at all. In Switzerland big clothing and cosmetics firms only care about the asian tourists, they probably couldn't care less about image improvement amongst swiss customers.

^It means that they formally agreed to coordinate prices and marketing, which is against the rules of free competition. Cartels eliminate competition amongst firms, which means prices will be higher than they should be because there is no pressure from other big firms (since they're all included in the cartel).

But really, no one here would ever have noticed because everything is freakin' overpriced here.

lucy92: Thanks. Sounds like they didn't really want to compensate the customers. I don't expect them to do anything like that here at all. In Switzerland big clothing and cosmetics firms only care about the asian tourists, they probably couldn't care less about image improvement amongst swiss customers.

Ohh I see. Market manipulation. So they can control the prices and raise them up as high as they please and no one can do anything about it. lol that's so evil.

Yeah New Zealand is also quite dismissive of locals. Duty free stores make BIG bucks here because we have tonnes of tourists coming all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->