Made In Xyz

tott

slightly dizzy
Reaction score
OK, I went shopping for bits and pieces for my bag project; didn't find anything acceptable! So instead I wandered around aimlessly, diving into random stores. I also went to Zara and H&M, which I hardly ever do. And I was seriously disgusted by some of the stuff; wobbly zippers, crooked seams, superbad materials.

I used to shop at places like H&M 10-15 years ago, and I don't remember the quality as being this low. I also have to say that the quality of some of the pricier stores and labels also seem to have been slipping for some years now. Maybe I've simply become pickier, or is it a fact?

This is nothing new, but I would say it has to do with maximizing profits; cutting corners when it comes to the materials used and out-sourcing production, most often to cheaper/poorer countries where unskilled labour has to work long hours for next to nothing. And, of course, the quality goes down as a result. This more or less hit me on a personal level today when I examined a garment and checked the label: Made in China. The job I do seems to be destined to be taken over (to a large extent) by a Chinese company, and I have seen the kind of quality they deliver... So I am feeling sort of depressed and not entirely objective here... I'm sure I could find a new job, but I'd hate to leave my current one...

Is it OK that companies move production to the cheapest possible place while still charging us top dollar for the goods?
Is it ethical to produce stuff in countries or places where people don't have basic human rights and/or work under sweatshop conditions?
Is it OK to buy stuff that is practically sweatshop-made?
Relocation of production appears to be escalating; is it OK that people become unemployed in Europe/North America because production is cheaper elsewhere?
If people are unemployed, who will be able to afford to buy the stuff?

Disclaimer: I know that some excellent stuff is also made in China and other countries, but the cheap mass manufactured goods are not among them.

No it is not okay. As I said in another thread - what goes around comes around.

With H&M there seems to be very little quality control, as to be expected from the price, I always check the individual item as they vary so much.

Not only is there little quality control in stores like H&M..
EEC has allowed larger quotas of Chinese produced clothes to be sold than previously..(Which ideally should mean cheaper clothing..but that hasn't happend..and H&M etc are skimming large profits these days. -Wish I had stocks in the company!)
So you haven't necessarily become more pickier..theres just a lot more badly made Chinese clothes in the stores.

Absolutely not OK! :angry:
Pick up "Fashion Victim, our love hate relationship with the fashion industry and shopping" by Michelle Lee. She explores this in depth.
I do think it is starting to show up in "better" lines as well. I carried Miu Miu for 2 seasons and was not impressed by the quality of construction. I have lower price points now and the quality is the same. It is a battle of aesthetics and money for many though.

I am waiting for my job to be moved to India in a few months, so you can guess about my feelings on the subject of outsourcing.

What is sad is that this is trickling down to the designers that you would not normally expect this from. Dries van Noten is a prime example - people are starting to complain about the quality of some of his clothes (I'm not talking about the beautiful scarfs hand made in India, but a lot of other stuff). I bought a shirt by Ann Demeulmeester last season, without even looking at the label, because I'm used to her stuff being made either in France or Belgium and footwear in Italy. When I actually looked at the label first - Made in Tunisia :shock: .

However, some of these companies do it to keep the costs lower. My hand-knit Cloak cardigan is made in China - but it was 1/2 of the price of anything even remotely similar on the shelves - and it's exquisite.

In any case, as soon as anything is given into the hands of the businessmen it all becomes about maximizing the profit. I've been to college with these people - they are sharks. And may you never work for a company that is publicly traded - it's hell on earth.

Prince is right, it will come back to haunt the governments - as soon as those tax revenues stop coming in and consumer spending drops due to lost jobs - they'll start scrambling. Only it might be too late.

Ok, my post is all over the place, but you catch my drift :lol:

Great post, Faust. Not too all over the place at all. And great thread, Tott. I just don't understand how companies can still feel the need to cut costs even after their customers are complaining. That just seems stupid and arrogant to me.

Originally posted by purechris@Nov 8 2004, 12:29 PM
BTW--nice to see you posting again tott.
[snapback]423178[/snapback]​

2nd! I already complained about tott's lack of posting :P

Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 8 2004, 12:36 PM
Great post, Faust. Not too all over the place at all. And great thread, Tott. I just don't understand how companies can still feel the need to cut costs even after their customers are complaining. That just seems stupid and arrogant to me.
[snapback]423190[/snapback]​

Lower costs - higher revenues...

The entire economic orthodox is about making a lean mean revenue machine.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 8 2004, 12:40 PM
Lower costs - higher revenues...
[snapback]423196[/snapback]​
Yeah, but not when the customers stop buying their now poorly-made clothes.

Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 8 2004, 12:42 PM
Yeah, but not when the customers stop buying their now poorly-made clothes.
[snapback]423202[/snapback]​

In the short-term, the customers don't have that power, and the companies know it...

Thanks, purechris and faust. Glad to be onboard again!

i only buy poor quality stuff if it's practically free...

then i don't mind so much...and i refuse to buy stuff that is priced too high for the quality...

prime example...i will never buy anything from french connection...nor do i allow anyone i know to do so...

then you're better off with vintage...which i think is why we're seeing it catch on so dramatically with the youth...it's much better quality at the same or lower price...and it's also just a good idea to recycle and re-use...and not to just discard things after a season... :flower:

Originally posted by faust@Nov 8 2004, 06:26 PM
However, some of these companies do it to keep the costs lower. My hand-knit Cloak cardigan is made in China - but it was 1/2 of the price of anything even remotely similar on the shelves - and it's exquisite.
[snapback]423171[/snapback]​

If consumers actually would get lower prices because production is so much cheaper, that would be fair in a way. I don't think your knitwear is representative though...

In most cases, production is cheaper but prices stay the same or even increase. :wacko:

What about Gap? I think their sweatshop-made goods are of decent quality and not too overpriced. So there's no argument with the goods, only with their politics, and globalization in general...

a lot of people go to places like H&M for staple items
to be honest they dont care about the quality because its so cheap, if there is a problem.....you can just get another one.

at the end of the day.....somebody has to make the clothes......and customers arent prepared to pay high prices for them so......i dont see there being a lot of change anytime soon

Originally posted by tott@Nov 8 2004, 05:26 PM
If consumers actually would get lower prices because production is so much cheaper, that would be fair in a way. I don't think your knitwear is representative though...

In most cases, production is cheaper but prices stay the same or even increase. :wacko:
[snapback]423691[/snapback]​

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amsivi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->