Maison Margiela Haute Couture S/S 2020 Paris

Margiela always had this sleekness to me while Galliano's version just looks like piles of fabric. It's too much.

I still see that 'sleekness', but with his silhouettes. Ignore the trenches, two-piece looks and excessive 3D motifs for a second and just focus on the silhouette. You'll find a sleek, flowy, near polished quality with the dresses. Mad about it.

This isn't even Galliano at his best yet it is probably one of his most cohesive and wearable collections for the Margiela. And at the end of the day, this is how I would define a couture collection. Something accessible but not dumbed down, something attuned to the times, and creative enough to make a statement.

I actually love this because those are clothes that I would love to wear. It’s like Vauthier...It’s not groundbreaking but it’s great.
It’s cohesive, it’s wearable (not practical) and despite the Galliano theatrics, I see the Margiela in it.

I really recognize the Arte-povera quality of Margiela In this. Still trench-coats galore but I would love to own these ones. And I really hope that the RTW follows the direction of the Artisanal and I wouldn’t be mad to see Jennifer Aniston in one of those biais cut dresses. Even a black perforated column dress with a black tulle lining could be wonderful for her...

Bravo John!

Those cutout bias cut dresses are the best thing I've seen so far at couture week. So simple, yet memorable. :heart:

I also love the black and lilac tulle dress and the trench coat dress with the embroidered tulle bra. Quite a lot of fabulous eveningwear here, and it's enough for me to dream. Also, the runway is finally just right for the collection.

There are a lot of beautiful ideas in this, and the sense of colour and silhouette is often breathtaking. My problem is that he never seems to know when to stop, and in the end everything just becomes messy and too much.
Its as if he didn't trust his taste and just needed to pile up stuff to make sure there is enough. Margiela's work was much more economic with. ideas, so they became coherent and stood out. Here everything is overwrought and complicated, and in the end it takes away from the obvious beauty of his work

I don't think it's his best collection by any means but the standard has been set so low this couture week that this looks incredible compared to everything else. Thank heavens for John.

A great collection. The “Je t’ aime moi non plus” (the ones who saw the livestream will get me) was absolutely beyond. The color palette is something else (the pink background helped a lot). It has charm, development on the techniques and represent a glorified mood that I expect from couture. I think Olivier helped a lot with the styling the past two shows: it looks more refined and effortless.
Artisanal wasn’t conceived for sale but this time is really commercial, wearable and desirable. They might start to sell the clothes. So I hope to see a lot of people getting into this delicious offering.

I think its a great collection, it looks like a painting, many of the outfits legit look like art, which in many ways what HC is supposed to be really about. Galliano is gifted and it shows , don't believe me just look at the plane crash site Dior has become under Maria Grazia.

Maybe his best collection for the house yet. It’s the right amount of restraint and chaos...where most of his previous offerings have been heavy on the chaos...this collection is far better balanced. And there’s a lot of genuinely beautiful looks here, too.

A lot of it is very glamorous in a fresh way. Good work.

Best collection of the season by far, and his best for the house.
All of the gowns have a very vintage Galliano feeling to them, they're just fantastic.
Still, the whole thing had a Margiela spirit, beyond just the masked faces.

Hearing Meryl Streep’s tone deaf wailing on the soundtrack was a treat. Jeremy and John always come up with something fun.

I loved the show, great energy and great clothes. Love the calico coats with the contrast stitching made to appear like a work in progress. The colorful bias cut sheer dresses were also a sight for sore eyes. Not Margiela but incredible in its own avant garde way, he wouldn't get the chance to do this anywhere else.

Call me a hypebeast but the Tabi Sneaker collab was really fun, demented and postmodern like only Margiela can be.

what a stunning collection. i didn't like the furry pieces but otherwise it's a strong one, omg. it feels so good to have john around, he's a genius and his signature is timeless. i might even consider the cabbage headpiece for myself for spring.

Revisiting this collection again, I really think that this is the first time in Haute Couture where I actually see Margiela by Galliano and not Galliano at Margiela.

A great Interpretation!

Still love this so much :cry: I was so excited lol. Right before everything went to sh*t.

Anyways, here are the show notes and look descriptions if anyone else wants to reminisce lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->