Manon Gignoux

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
I create fabric sculptures, dressed objects, clothes and accessories – each piece is unique. My work lies between art and fashion.

The origins of my work can be traced back to my last year of study at France’s Duperré School of Applied Arts when I carried out a photographic study of the clothes worn by workers in the early 20th century and explored the "traces of wear and tear" on clothes. Starting with details of a hundred or so photographs taken from books, I filled research notebooks and ended up with four themes: the "carpenter" or the traces of alteration, the "washerwoman" or the imprint of repeated movements, the "inside-out suit" or the dynamics of (de)construction, and the "woman shopkeeper" or the encounter between work clothes and everyday life and the way an object that is worn fits the body.

Encompassing recovery, re-appropriation and aesthetic discrepancy, my raw materials are re-used clothes and objects that retain the memory of their original use and contemporary fabrics that I rework with dyes, pleats and weat… to which I give a new function.

My creations illustrate the meeting of clothes, body and décor.

The clothes I create pass on the experience of living, flattering and deforming the body. My fabric dolls, each a kind of symbolic object, represent attitudes and personalities. I play on the relationship between clothes and object, I dress objects in order to protect them and to tell their story… damaged coverings, darned, made from accumulation and colours faded by time. I also set up installations in which I associate my work with objects that I have found, re-invented and/or photographed.

ginouxw700.jpg

check her site for more images....it's definitely worth it! love her accessories and flowers....and the dressed objects is so unique and charming. going to write her about my project,indefinitely!

*http://www.manon-gignoux.com

*pic-avantdedormir.com

oh my goodness! :heart:

this is amazing. how i wish i lived in paris.

^i know. Paris' best kept secret,perhaps?

thanks scott! :heart:
her work certainly looks impressive, especially on the first pic, the stitches looks so crude and flawless at the same time... wish there were even more pics at her website!.

Thank you, Scott. :flower: Beautifully made collector's pieces. Will give Margiela a run...

Thank you Scott, very interesting and passionate.

you're welcome everybody!

i wish there was too mullet....only disappointment.

the other day at rooms
(right so-en editor in chief)
fashionjp

Attachments

• rooms3[1].jpg
    rooms3[1].jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 3
  • rooms4[1].jpg
    rooms4[1].jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 29
thank you for reviving the thread
i hadn't heard about her before..
i like this description of her work and her 'characters' themes, in Scott's post.

is she more of an artist?
than designer
on her website, it's hard to tell if she is making one-of-a-kind items ...there are few pictures.

thank you for reviving the thread
i hadn't heard about her before..
i like this description of her work and her 'characters' themes, in Scott's post.

is she more of an artist?
than designer
on her website, it's hard to tell if she is making one-of-a-kind items ...there are few pictures.

she makes several clothes for each season exclusively at the request of a store.
definitely a designer too.

we have a word "geijutsuka" for artist. that word apart, we use another word "sakka". there seems to be no english equivalent of the word, technically. but I'd apply the word to her,
in terms of beauty or creativity in ulilitarian objects.

her atelier and a dress for lamp harajuku
hpfrance

Attachments

• 0310-manon2.jpg
    0310-manon2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 0510.jpg
    0510.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads