Marcello Mastroianni

Marvystone

blue blue electric blue
Reaction score
Marcello Mastroianni was born in 1924, in Fontana Liri, Italy, but soon his family moved to Turin and then Rome. During WW2 he was sent to a German prison camp, but he managed to escape and hide in Venice. In 1945 he started working for the Italian department of "Eagle Lion Films" in Rome and joined a drama club, where he was discovered by director Luchino Visconti. He made his "official" movie debut in the film Miserabili, I (1948) and Bella mugnaia, La (1955). In 1957 Visconti gave him the starring part in his Fyodor Dostoyevsky adaptation Notti bianche, Le (1957) and in 1958 he was fine as a little thief in Mario Monicelli's comedy Soliti ignoti, I (1958). But his real breakthrough came in 1960, when Federico Fellini cast him as an attractive, weary-eyed journalist of the Rome jet-set in Dolce vita, La (1960); that film was the genesis of his "Latin lover" persona, which Mastroianni himself often denied by accepting parts of passive and sensitive men. He would again work with Fellini in several major films, like the exquisite 8½ (1963) (as a movie director who finds himself at a point of crisis) and the touching Ginger e Fred (1986) (as an old entertainer who appears in a TV show). He also appeared as a tired novelist with marital problems in Michelangelo Antonioni's Notte, La (1961), as an impotent young man in Mauro Bolognini's Bell'Antonio, Il (1960) , as an exiled prince in John Boorman's Leo the Last (1970), as a traitor in Paolo and Vittorio Taviani's Allonsanfàn (1974) and as a sensitive homosexual in love with a housewife in Ettore Scola's Giornata particolare, Una (1977). During the last decade of his life he worked with directors, like Theodoros Angelopoulos, Bertrand Blier and Raoul Ruiz, who gave him three excellent parts in Trois vies & une seule mort (1996). He died of pancreatic cancer in 1996.
imdb

53402_02MarcelloMastroianni_H.jpg

culturacampania.rai.it

In Federico Fellini's La Dolce Vita:
f_FFDolceVitam_3cb9142.jpg

f_FFDolceVitam_706adb4.jpg

f_FFDolceVitam_0479133.jpg

f_FFDolceVitam_a5d4f62.jpg

livejournal~film_stills

LaDolceVita_1.jpg

media.independent

f_FFDolceVitam_7e43be7.jpg

photobucket~dezmodius

a great and gifted actor and a fascinating and intelligent man.i have read his autobio - "mi ricordo,si,io mi ricordo".it´s full of little anecdotes and stories.bizarre and farcical sometimes like a fellini film,but also full of warmth and humour, not sharp but somehow wise:heart:!!!i almost had the chance to see him on stage.the play would have taken place one week before his death.they cancelled it because of marcello´s deteriorating health....one week later i heard on the radio that he had died....:unsure:
but he left an extraordinary and unique legacy..the fellini films alone and then so many other great films-le notti bianche ,la notte,dramma della gelosia,una giornata particolare and so so many more.he had a wide range as an actor although his face and expression exuded a soft melancholy and made him perfect for dramas imo.....and then of course his voice :blush:!!!
sources:mi ricordo,si,io mi ricordo-marcello mastroianni
kinostars-peter w. engelmeier
leading men (orbis)

death of a salesman,directed by visconti 1952
316863.382marcello1.jpg

with visconti:heart:
316869.326marcello2.jpg

316887.449marcello3.jpg

che ora è by ettore scola 1989
316875.154marcello4.jpg

dolce vita
316876.515marcello5.jpg

8 1/2
316877.442marcello6.jpg

8 1/2 movie posters
202623.jpg

mulholland-drive.blog-city

10047639A%7EFellini-8-1-2-Posters.JPG

staff.olympia.org

8andhalf.jpg

bluegrassfilmsociety.blogspot

otto_loc.jpg

italica.rai.it

Great thread! I considered making one for MM a while ago, never got around to it. He's one of my favorite actors. :smile: Anyway, wonderful photos :D

Not only do I consider him the most beautiful man in film, he is also my favorite actor (along with Jack Lemmon!). I'm on a mission to see every film of his that is available to me. I even went so far as to get my future brother-in-law to DVR Too Bad She's Bad yesterday because I HAD to go to class. Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble finding 1967's The Stranger, which I'm DYING to see since it has Marcello, Anna Karina, AND it is directed by the marvelous Visconti!

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the most handsome and good looking men ever... so elegants... and such an amazing actor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alksdnfskfgikwjfne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->